cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

BlackIceXXX
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently "upgraded" my pvr with the Enhanced Guide. Really Rogers? Is this what you call an "upgrade"?  There are so many things horribly wrong with it that i dont even know where to begin.

- no slow motion playback (are you kidding me??)

- extremely laggy response to remote inputs

- adjusting recording time takes an extra 3 steps now

- lost a number of recorded programs after upgrading

- fast forward/rewind is much slower now

- page up/down no longer skips ahead during playback 

- hitting the Live button while watching a program on delay switches to a different channel (brilliant)

- time of current playback is not shown while watching recorded programs (it just shows elapsed time)

- pvr crashes randomly (never happened before upgrade)

- layout of guide wastes too much space and the live tv window is far too small

These are all the problems i can list off the top of my head but there are many more.

i cant understand how poorly thought out this new guide is.  It's like they threw all the good stuff out from the previous version and had a group of monkeys design this one.  

Bring back the old guide Rogers!

***Edited labels***

96 REPLIES 96

Re: Enhanced guide - is this a joke?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Lionhutz

The updates are to update the guide & bring new software & updates to the boxes. I do agree with you that is absurd as we need to have them limit the amount of updates per week & at a different time. Rogers does not seem to understand this tho. They rather not listen to the customers.

Like GDkitty said, you can call Rogers & have them downgrade your OS on the box to the old guide. This will have you loss some new functions & loss all your recordings.

Rockford
I Plan to Stick Around

I JUST called Rogers and asked that my non-PVR Nextbox have its guide "downgraded". I was told it can't be done anymore. 

Actually, the first person I spoke to said it could but that I would lose the call display pop-ups on that box. I said ok, let's do it anyway and she tranferred me to someone who, after taking all my info again, was supposed to affect the change but instead told me no-can-do.  

Should I call back and speak to someone else or has there been a recent change?

***Edited for content***

Just a guy.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Rockford

Nothing has changed. Some reps are lazy & rather not change it. They find customers that will believe them & that is all. I would contact back & complain about that rep while asking about the change. They should be able to change it to the old guide anytime.

Yes you will lose all your recordings / settings & call display but if you can live with that, then change!

Rockford
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Meowmix. Cat Tongue 

I just called back and they changed it no problem.

Just a guy.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Rockford

You are welcome:). Good to hear it worked out for you!

SueAllcock
I've Been Here Awhile

I hear ya! This is the biggest mistake that Roger's has made since.... well last week when they over billed me for a service that was supposed to be free for a month! I hate this new guide, and it's not because it's a new thing and sometimes it takes time to get used to a new way of doing things... but it's because it's a total step backwards. It's like it's working in slow motion... this thing needs a hockey helpmet it's that impaired.

Our bills keep going up and up but the level of service is going down. I don't get it. I called a representaive the other day to ask why the guide was sooooo slooow, she told me that it's no slower than the original guide before that. WHAT? She also told me that it's withnin acceptable limits to have a 6 second delay while cruising thru the channels. She even went so far as to ask me to count the time lag between channel changes, like I was a child! I told her not to placate me and I also told her to log my complain formally.... for all the good that does. 

I understand that with the new updates and add-ons, there's more infomation that has to travel thru the cable but.... at what cost. Why do it if you can't support it? It's funny, that ever since I made that call.... it's gotten even worse. Not sure if they are just **bleep** with me now.

I'm thinking of canning the whole thing and trippin' over to another network.

So Frustrated with Rogers!

Thanks Rogers.... you've outdid yourself again!

Big conglomerates can get away with anything apparently!

@SueAllcock wrote:

I hear ya! This is the biggest mistake that Roger's has made since.... well last week when they over billed me for a service that was supposed to be free for a month! I hate this new guide, and it's not because it's a new thing and sometimes it takes time to get used to a new way of doing things... but it's because it's a total step backwards. It's like it's working in slow motion... this thing needs a hockey helpmet it's that impaired.

Our bills keep going up and up but the level of service is going down. I don't get it. I called a representaive the other day to ask why the guide was sooooo slooow, she told me that it's no slower than the original guide before that. WHAT? She also told me that it's withnin acceptable limits to have a 6 second delay while cruising thru the channels. She even went so far as to ask me to count the time lag between channel changes, like I was a child! I told her not to placate me and I also told her to log my complain formally.... for all the good that does. 

I understand that with the new updates and add-ons, there's more infomation that has to travel thru the cable but.... at what cost. Why do it if you can't support it? It's funny, that ever since I made that call.... it's gotten even worse. Not sure if they are just **bleep** with me now.

I'm thinking of canning the whole thing and trippin' over to another network.

So Frustrated with Rogers!

Thanks Rogers.... you've outdid yourself again!

Big conglomerates can get away with anything apparently!

The NextBox 3.0 is much faster and more stable than the old NextBox 2.0 box.

Sueallcock,

i am assuming you are talking about either the 8642 or the 4642 model?

IF you are renting the boxes.. and you have the 8642 pvr, it would be worth taking it in to swap for a Nextbox 3.0.

While the same guide in appearance, etc... it doesnt have the shortcommings of the 8642 box.

The 8642, hardware was/is ill equipped to handle the guide.. which causes all the problems you have described.

The new nextbox 3.0 doesnt have these failings, and is very fast, as well as more storage and can record up to 8 things at oncce.

SueAllcock
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for that info, I appreciate your input.... funny the rep shuld have mentioned that while I had her on the phone.... I guess that's not in her job description to actually solve the problem!

SueAllcock
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got off the phone with another Rogers rep and he told me that upgrading from my basic box (4642) to a Netbox 3.0 won't necessarily fix the lag/delay problems with the new guide. Plus it's a chargeable upgrade. He tells me that this is the number one complaint coming into Rogers right now and that they are working hard to rectify the software/server problems at their end. He was actually giving me straight answers. The software developers have created a combersome, content heavy program and are trying to update it to make it less so. So it's not the "highway" that's the problem, it's the "car"!

I was also told by the first rep (the other day) that I should be powering off the box every night to make sure I get the regular updates for it... this rep I talked to today told me that it's not necessary to do that. Updates will take place whether the box is off or on. Nice to know that too. 

Basically it's a wait and see kind of thing.... I hope they iron out the wrinkles sooner rather than later. 

While there are some good reps, who know what they are doing, know the stuff, etc.. they are few and far between.

MOST of the reps.. even the tech support ones.. are not technical at ALL.  Pretty much, they read off a script infront of them, so if it falls outside of that.. they dont have an answer for you 😞

I had a nextbox 2.0 (the 8642).. and now currently have a nextbox 3.

I can tell you, there is NO lag on it at all.  MANY users on here can tell you the same thing.

Everything is pretty INSTANT compared to on the nextbox 2, which could be a good 5-10 seconds for things.

Not sure if that rep, has used the new box or not.

As for the chargeable.. yes a little.  All depend on what you are currently doing.
NB2 rental is 24.95, and the NB3 is something like $25.32.
NB2 rent to own is $15, and is $17.50 on the NB3.
So slightly more.  BUT.. well worth it for the power the NB3 has comparatively.

rapallo
I've Been Around

THIS IS THE DUMBEST THING ROGERS HAS DONE!!!!!!   I AVERAGE $500 A MONTH ON 5 BOXES AND INTERNET.  AND NOW I HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THIS STUPID GUIDE.    HOW CAN WE CHANGE THIS?

**Edited for content**

rustytc
I've Been Here Awhile

Talk to Bell or some other service provider and see what "deals" they have. Usually, Bell will give you a free PVR to switch. Then go back to Rogers and tell them you are thinking about switching to Bel for the free PVR. Rogers will also give you a free NextBox 3.0 to retain you. This is a very competative cut thoat business.

Little know thing too (that most people think that its only for NEW people), but as long as you have 3 services with them, you should be able to get the current promo of the free PVR rental for 3 years, same as a new person.

Hello @rapallo,

The Navigatr guide is the new standard going forward - no way to revert to the old guide. 

Hello @SueAllcock,

I have three 8642s and a Nextbox 3.  I can tell you that there is a NOTICEABLE difference in speed - there is the occasional lag / stutter on the Nextbox 3, but those are few and far between. 

@robindp

The two people you are repling to, are back from 2013/2014 🙂   They are talking about the SARA to RTN change likely.

Someone else posted a complain to this thread (which was delete now it looks like? or moved) about the navigatr.

🙂

Interesting info on the 8642 though.  You do beleive that it is faster?
How full are your 8642s?
Just curious.. as there have been others who have said that its even SLOWER than RTN was on those boxes.

fred1943
I've Been Around

Please give us back the OLD User Guide.  This one is slow and I agree with all the other comments.  In addition if you use the FAV selections.  It's nice that with one click you see the guide of your favourite stations but you have to deselect  these again to see all the other stations!!!

We are not happy with the Guide and hope that you will make changes very quickly or give us the old one back!

GKW1
I Plan to Stick Around

I have to cut two trees down so the Bell satelite will work. I have a tenative deal made with Bell! As soon as the snow goes. No more Rogers!! Complaints down 65% who do you think your kidding? You have about a month before I switch all my services!! FYI enhanced I think means better? News flash!..........NOT

mfait
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@GKW1 wrote:

I have to cut two trees down so the Bell satelite will work. I have a tenative deal made with Bell! As soon as the snow goes. No more Rogers!! Complaints down 65% who do you think your kidding? You have about a month before I switch all my services!! FYI enhanced I think means better? News flash!..........NOT

Yah!  I just got the e-mail!

Complaints down 65% compared to same time period last year!

Rogers.jpg