cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embarrassingly Slow Internet Speeds in Waterloo, Ontario

willp
I've Been Around

Have the student deal posted on the homepage, 10down/1up (supposedly). I'm the only one on the network and the modem was restarted last night.

Last night at 11pm

0.46mbps down/0.48mpbs up

Today at 9am

27mbps down/0.5Mbps Up

Tonight at 11pm

0.79Mbps down/0.51mbps Up

These speeds are absolutely insane. I realize that there exists such a thing as "prime-time", but the speeds surely shouldn't be hitting this low at any hour of the day. 

What can I do? Will calling Rogers even achieve anything?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Extreme Plus 1 mbps or less every night four weeks. Is Rogers network Issue

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Extreme Plus Waterloo, ON  (north Waterloo)  Still receiving night time speeds of 1 mbps or less every night approx. 5 PM to 3 AM, due to congestion, an overloaded node in my area, and several other parts of Southern Ontario. 

10/16/11 - *an employee*, Rogers Office of the President, just informed me that there was, "ETA for final solution to problem in your area, by the end of this week."  I pushed for details, always hard to get about Rogers issues, she added, "the problem is the NODE in your area, that is what they will work on this week."

That is what the Techs I've talked to working in the area have all said.  It's congestion where the Coax meets the Fiber optics.  It looks that way on all trace routes with latency usually occuring 6th hop out.  Could be slightly different depending on your internet set up.  

10/03/11 - After weeks of protesting that the issue was a Rogers problem and not my equipment, *an employee* of Rogers high speed C.A.T. Department informs me my slow speeds are caused by, "a known Rogers network issue, no ETA for solution. 

09/18/11 - Is when I began calling and proving over and over to service techs that this was not my computer or wiring. 

FOUR WEEKS OF 1 MBPS OR SLOWER EVERY NIGHT FROM APPROX. 5 PM TO 3 AM.  CAUSED BY A ROGERS CONGESTION ISSUE, KNOWN BY AND ADMITTED TO BY ROGERS.   THAT IS 2 % OR LESS OF ADVERTISED SPEEDS FOR 1 MONTH.  ALL ROGERS HAD TO DO WAS IDENTIFY THIS NODE PROBLEM AND UPGRADE ASAP.  

THE SAD RESULT OF NO FAIR COMPETITION IN SOUTHER ONTARIO.

**edited to remove employee name - RogersGina

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

Re: Embarrassingly Slow Internet Speeds in Waterloo, Ontario

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thats some bad congestion during peak times.

You need to call Rogers and complain..

Essentially, you'll need to tell them your internet is completely unusable during prime time (to the point that websites start timing out constantly, which I'm sure they do).  There'll probably some heavy packet loss either in your neighbourhood, or near the CMTS which serves your area of Waterloo.

Extreme Plus - Waterloo, ON - 1 mbps Download speed 95% of time since Sept. 18, 2011

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been getting consistent 1 mbps download speeds from speedtest.net, and Rogers speed check since at least September 18th, 2011.   Upload has tested at 1 up, solid, dozens of speed tests over past 12 days.   I use no P2P file sharing, or any gaming other than my daughters barbie type web browser games.   I use gotomypc much of the day.  Is that perhaps causing Rogers software to almost permanently slow my download speed?

Spent many hours on the phone with Rogers that says my lines are fine, ping times and all other tests indicate no problem.  

Never any latency on first 5 hops out, dozens and dozens of traceroutes.  No packet loss on dozens of Pings. Confirmed these results with at least 6 techs from tier 1, 2, and CAT team.  Multiple service tickets, many invalidated by tier 2 before reaching the engineers.  All tests done with 2 separate, spyware and virus free computers, wired directly to Rogers modem/router, in and out of bridge mode, with or without any fire walls on, with new Ethernet cables, and switched router for new one just to rule it out. 

It seems from many other postings on broadband reports and else where that other Extreme plus and Ultimate subscribers in my area are getting the same speeds, same circumstances, and same lack of help from Rogers.   

Rogers only response seems to be to tell people there are no issues with their network,  it's not possible you are being mistakenly throttled, and lets just start a new service call for lack of a real solution.  

Today a worker at the Weber & Northfield Waterloo store informed me that he had a Rogers memo 1 or 2 days ago stating Rogers was stopping all throttling on September 29, 2011, because of the "major problems".   However, Rogers response the the Sept 17th CRTC letter, responding on the 27th, insists it's new "Whitelisting" policy is working fine and it has steps in place to correct the problem.  

When I call Rogers they say they have no news of any of this, or depending on who you get, flat out give you unverifiable incorrect info.  What is the story here Rogers?  This is what lack of real broadband competition does for some customers.  

Re: Extreme Plus - Waterloo, ON - 1 mbps Download speed 95% of time since Sept. 18, 2011

ssauve
I'm Here A Lot

I am in Waterloo as well, with the 50mb package. I get the full 50mb in the morning, around 1pm in the afternoon my speeds go down to 3mb or so. After 3pm I can get a maximum of 1mb download speed, every single night.

I've been calling Rogers for 3 weeks, I've been referred to their CAT, and still no issue. I've been waiting for them to call me for a week now (their CAT team) and they still have not.

They always say it's my computer, even though I've proved to them the issue is with their network and not my computer.

They sent a tech over, he even tested it on his laptop and got 1mb speed.. He gave me a new modem and left without trying it. Of course, this did not fix the issue.

I would keep calling, report your problems to the CRTC.. I might try going into a local Rogers as well. I'm going to be calling tonight and asking for this months service free since it has been unuseable, hopefully they comply.

I can't even stream a youtube video at night without my latency skyrocketing to 3000+ and getting 10% packet loss.

EDIT: My speedtest at 5pm: http://www.speedtest.net/result/1506462456.png

My speedtest in the morning (6am) : http://www.speedtest.net/result/1490531820.png

HMMMMMMM, my computer is the problem, eh?

Extreme Plus - Waterloo ON - 1 mbps DL 2 WKS PLUS- ROGERS ADMITS IT'S A ROGERS NETWORK ISSUE!

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

Extreme Plus subscriber Waterloo ON - After over 2 weeks of 1 mbps DL daytime speeds, and .6 mbps DL after 5 pm, ROGERS has finally admitted this issue is ON THE ROGERS SIDE.  After an identical experience to other posters here and on other sites, they finally stopped blaming both my computers and admitted this is an issue affecting many people in my area.  That's the good news.  Bad news - No ETA for solution.   After 2 weeks of all of us hounding them they finally acknowledge this is a real problem, and is entirely Rogers fault.  

Spoke again with*an employee* in CAT department.  She said, "No ETA, I'll call back in a week."  When I protested that they need to act faster especially considering the engineers for 2 weeks have been saying no problem with the numbers, and closing the tickets. She then said quote, "no ETA means no ETA".   

I spoke with customer relations hoping maybe they could get me a Rocket Hub for free or at least at a big discount so I can continue to work.  Rep in customer relations/retention said that they would not do that, she would not check with a supervisor on it, and offered to suspend or cancel my service.  Really?  2 weeks of all departments not even considering the issue was anything but my computer or lines, no admits I was right all along, and they will do NOTHING to make up for it. 

I just need to tele commute with something that works all the time.  Not just between 2 and 5 am.  I don't think that was asking to much, but I knew given Rogers horrible track record and lack of any real competition, they would probably say no. 

ROGERS WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO STOP OVER SELLING THE BANDWIDTH IN MY COLLEGE STUDENT INFESTED AREA?    THIS HAPPENS AT LEAST EVERY FALL IF NOT MORE OFTEN.  STOP BLAMING YOUR CUSTOMERS FOR YOUR OWN NETWORK ISSUES!

I URGE EVERYONE GETTING A SMALL FRACTION OF THEIR ADVERTISED SPEEDS TO CALL TECH SUPPORT, ASK FOR THE CAT DEPARTMENT.  

Re: Extreme Plus - Waterloo ON - 1 mbps DL 2 WKS PLUS- ROGERS ADMITS IT'S A ROGERS NETWORK ISSUE!

ssauve
I'm Here A Lot

My CAT agent sent another tech over to verify the problem.  He came over, went over every possible test he could do.  Disconnected every computer from my modem and disabled the wireless... Plugged his own laptop in to run his own speed test, and voila, 0.72mb download.  Less than 2% of the speed I should be getting.

What did he say? Wow that's horrible, I really wish I could fix this for you but there's nothing I can do.  I asked him who I should contact to get the issue resolved and he said he had no idea, and he was truly genuine about being unable to do anything about it.  He wrote down in the ticket that he verified the slow download speeds himself and that it wasn't an issue on my end, so we'll see if that helps.  I'm hoping for a call from my CAT agent to see what they say now, this was a few days ago so hopefully it has made their 'engineers' realize the problem isn't on our end.

I'm glad to hear they are admitting it though, at least in your case. I'll be trying to get credit for the last month service fees and future months as well until the internet here is useable.  If I make any progress I'll make sure to post it. What makes no sense to me is the ping and packet loss is completely fine when the connection isn't in use, and the technicians tests on my cable lines showed that the line itself has amazing speed.  Yet, when I start downloading something, the fastest speed I can get is like 50KB/s in the evening, and it causes my line to lag out completely... Like 3000ping and 60-70% packet loss from downloading at 50KB/s (direct http download, not torrents).  This screams throttling to me, I feel like if it was congestion I would be getting bad ping/latency without capping my 1mb download cap that seems to be in effect every night.

Re: Extreme Plus - Waterloo ON - 1 mbps DL 2 WKS PLUS- ROGERS ADMITS IT'S A ROGERS NETWORK ISSUE!

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Exteme Plus Waterloo 1 mbps Download 16 days.  There maybe throttling issues, and Rogers throttling system may be malfunctioning.  However, it took Rogers a year to admit they were accidentally throttling World of War Craft, then several months after that admission to fix it.   Prior to that it took them over a year or more to admit they were doing any kind of throttling or traffic management at all.  They lied to anyone that called in about it, and lied about it to the media. 

Although Rogers has publically stated their system may accidentally throttle other "legitimate" applications and games, they aren't even at the admission stage of the "other applications" yet.  

So if you mention throttling or traffic managment to any tech or person at CAT, they literally talk down to you like a crazy person.  Just like they did with the WOW people that were calling, filing complaints, presenting evidence for a year or more. 

Rogers has proven more than once it will lie until a problem gets too big too ignore, and for Rogers, that can take a while.  Google it, read the articles from major news organizations.  

For right now we just need to keep pressure on them to fix this problem, that they at least admit is theif fault, whatever it is.  My line is old, but capable of very fast speeds if noone else in my area is online, between 3 am and 7 am some times.   Someone had posted on another site that a senior tech told them this was an issue with docsis 3.  Seems unlikely since many of us achieve speeds close to advertised at off peak times, early in the morning. 

My guess is Rogers over sold the bandwidth in my college student heavy area.  The very week they all came back and got online, speeds decline late morning, afternoon, and slow to a crawl after 5 pm.  Sounds like congestion to me.    This happens to some degree at these times every year.  This is by far the worst year in my 3 years with Rogers.  

I wish they would actually put some of these outrageously high fees into beefing up their network so they can stop blaming us poor customers for their own over taxed network. 

I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Kitchener, and I urge everyone else to do the same.  Though it may not get you an immediate result, it's another way to let your voice be heard.  If enough of us do it, Rogers may improve the network, or regulators might finally step in and make Rogers play fair.   We need broadband competition in southern ontario.  DSL and Rogers resellers are NOT competition.  

Extreme Plus - Waterloo ON - 1 mbps DL 2 WKS PLUS- ROGERS ADMITS IT'S A ROGERS NETWORK ISSUE!

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

I need to take my own advice about being concise.

If you're tired of slow speeds contact the following:

Rogers C.A.T. Department, ask for them when you speak with Rogers Tech Support.  Inform the rep that CAT is working on this issue.  

Call David Carswell CTV Kitchener news room. 519-578-1314. Send a concise email of your Rogers experience this month to

news@swo.ctv.ca

Ellen Roseman - Toronto Star
eroseman@thestar.ca
416-945-8687

-1 mbps download speeds from 5pm on, every night for nearly a month. Issue has happened in the past many times.

-Rogers CAT & Tech support finally admitting it's on "the Rogers side" yesterday. Not the fault of subscribers as had been their assertion for weeks.

The numbers will show the media this is news worthy.

kris81to
I've Been Around

I have the Extreme+ (45mbit) in Stouffville, Ontario and during the day when i do speedtest.net i get 45mbit strong downloads, and 1mbit strong uploads.

EVERYDAY at 8pm and after, my downloads are anywhere between 1-5mbit and the upload still a strong 1mbit. Called the rogers tech support & they told me that it shows a weak signal but the area is fine & they'll send a tech out next week. What I don't understand is how the guy can tell me if the problem is on my end they will charge me $49.99. How can yo say that when you clearly told me that the signal is weak?

What bothers me the most is i'm paying almost $100 a month for a service when i'm getting lesser than the cheapest plan they have. Not impressed!

Same issue with my connection in Bradford. I am paying for the ultimate package but my connection randomly varies from as low as 3mbps to 15mbps majority of the time. Every now and then I get the actual 50. It is completely random and independent of the time of day.

Their tech support is useless and they do not listen. They refuse to even check on a line to tap that has been "patched" - with duct tape of all things - that has been cut TWICE.

Looking into FIBE and sharing my experience with everyone the topic comes up with.

FYI rogers I see a lot of people any given day - service industry.

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

I would still urge you to call tech support, ask for the CAT team, tell them this is a known Rogers Network issue, check with *an employee*, she is very familiar.   Unless there's a major outtage, these extremely slow speeds don't make the bulliten board.  I know it can be endlessly frustrating,  but we all need to let them know we're having the problem, for a faster solution.  

Call Tech support, tell them C.A.T & the Engineers are working on this Rogers Issue.  (hi speed Customer Advocacy Team).  Ask for *an employee* if they still aren't sure what you're talking about. 

I have posted local media contacts on the previous page.  I strongly recommend you email them too.  It's the numbers and the similarities of our experiences, the duration of this severe speed issue, that will make this news worthy.  I recommend filing with the Better  Business Bureau here in Kitchener, or the closest local media.  

Last night same as the last 16 other nights, speeds after 5 pm were 1 MBPS then after about 9 was at .6 MBPS or 600 KBPS (between dial up and satellite speeds) Extreme Plus Waterloo.  

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

No return call from *an employee* in of the CAT team.   *an employee* "not a big problem it's only affecting 6 in every 1000 customers" , says still no ETA.  Have also received email from *an employee* email support restarting the whole process as if I had not been dealing with several people at Rogers on this for 3 weeks +.  

Then received another email from *an employee* in "email support" saying *an employee* will call me with the latest no detail and no ETA for this problem.  

Speeds improved considerably Fri, Sat  evenings.  Most likely because the students and other subscribers were gone for the Thanksgiving holiday.  Now it's Monday night, is it safe to say most holiday travellers have returned home and are back online?  

My speed sure says so.  Getting 2 to 3 mbps download as of 8 pm Monday.  If it goes down to 1 mbps or less later this evening, I think it's pretty fair to say this is all just network congestion due to Rogers over selling bandwidth in certain areas. 

Tek Savvy told me they aren't allowed to add Cable internet subscribers in certain areas of Kitchener, Waterloo, and else where due to congestion issues. 

If you havent called or haven't called in a while, and are having this issue I beg you to let your voice be heard so they will correct this faster.  

Tell tech support rep you need to speak with *an employee* in the CAT team who is familiar with this Rogers network issue. 

Complain to the Rogers Office of the President, either via the complain option in the Contact Us section of this Rogers website, or email a request to Elen Roseman.  (she got office of president to contact me the day I emailed her)

Elen Roseman eroseman@thestar

I know it seems like these people can't help us, and for the most part they can't directly.  However, if all of us experiencing these download speeds, most less than 5% of advertised at night, keep complaining, they can't keep putting off fixing this congestion.   

**edited to remove employee names - RogersGina

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

Can I predict the future?  by 9 30 download had nestled in at it's all too familiar 1.30 mbps, and stayed there until at least 2 am. 

This is without a doubt network congestion.  It seems Rogers will promise higher and higher speeds to attract new subscribers, even though they will undoubtably overload nodes in already congested areas.   (like mine, many large apt buildings many students) Then they wait weeks or months for the few people that actually do call in to report their issue,  then blame those subscribers for Rogers admitted problem, finally they look into where upgrades are needed.   Seems backwards, but a senior tech named *an employee*, whom I spoke with on the street,said that  was the way Rogers has been doing things.  A very nice blond hair middle aged gentlman he also told me, "we've lost our personal touch, it's too bad because you customers pay my salary"

He stated it sounds like congestion, most likely the node is overloaded where the coax meets the fiber optic cable, said it will be slow until that's upgraded, and that takes a long time in many cases. 

*an employee* from Rogers CAT team called back finally.  No new news, no specifis or details on the "rogers network issue", still no ETA for a solution, she will call back monday.   All the while myself, and many other subscribers get 2 % of the speeds we're paying for at night, going on over 3 weeks.   Rogers I need this to work so I can work!!!! 

*edited to remove employee name - RogersGina

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Its definitely a Rogers issue, as its also affecting Teksavvy customers..

Teksavvy's on Rogers' butts about this as well..

dadizhu
I've Been Around

I'm in north west of waterloo and on extreme plus!  Dismal speed started few weeks ago!!!  Day time is normal.  But starts to deteriorate in the afternoon.  After 6/7pm speed goes down to 2-4 mbps!!! Right now, I'm getting 2.44mbps at 1am!  OUCH!

Rogers Extreme Plus 1 mbps or less every night 4 weeks straight KNOWN ROGERS ISSUE

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

Just clocked in at 1.16 mbps download.   I hope you are calling and have an open service ticket on file.  Calling and not letting up is the only thing that will get this done faster.  The more calls, the more useless service calls, the more time and money wasted on the phone, the costs of those upgrades they have to do any way aren't looking so bad any more.   

Rogers only cares about profits.  They love a customer that figures someone else will keep calling because they're such a pain in the **bleep** to talk to.  Rude, accusatory illogical.  They also love a customer that is completely unaware they are only getting 2 % of their speeds at night because they only use it to check  email, or another low bandwidth activity.

They only thing Roges cares about is the bottom line.  When a problem gets big enough that it's costing them money stalling people, they will act faster.  

*an employee*  from CAT team called yesterday, still no details on the "known Rogers issue", still no ETA.  

PLEASE KEEP CALLING

COPO
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is a joke, to bad there's no competition in my area. Pickering is currenly crawlng like a snail. Can someone go reboot the server or switch to the backup server. Something is wrong. Don't they have server monitoring tools that give them a red flag when a server is experiencing problems? Gee Wiz. I worked in a Data Centre for 35 years. My azz would be in the cooker if I was the Network Hardware person in charge of those servers. Come on people, it's not rocket science.

Extreme Plus 1 mbps or less every night four weeks. Is Rogers network Issue

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers Extreme Plus Waterloo, ON  (north Waterloo)  Still receiving night time speeds of 1 mbps or less every night approx. 5 PM to 3 AM, due to congestion, an overloaded node in my area, and several other parts of Southern Ontario. 

10/16/11 - *an employee*, Rogers Office of the President, just informed me that there was, "ETA for final solution to problem in your area, by the end of this week."  I pushed for details, always hard to get about Rogers issues, she added, "the problem is the NODE in your area, that is what they will work on this week."

That is what the Techs I've talked to working in the area have all said.  It's congestion where the Coax meets the Fiber optics.  It looks that way on all trace routes with latency usually occuring 6th hop out.  Could be slightly different depending on your internet set up.  

10/03/11 - After weeks of protesting that the issue was a Rogers problem and not my equipment, *an employee* of Rogers high speed C.A.T. Department informs me my slow speeds are caused by, "a known Rogers network issue, no ETA for solution. 

09/18/11 - Is when I began calling and proving over and over to service techs that this was not my computer or wiring. 

FOUR WEEKS OF 1 MBPS OR SLOWER EVERY NIGHT FROM APPROX. 5 PM TO 3 AM.  CAUSED BY A ROGERS CONGESTION ISSUE, KNOWN BY AND ADMITTED TO BY ROGERS.   THAT IS 2 % OR LESS OF ADVERTISED SPEEDS FOR 1 MONTH.  ALL ROGERS HAD TO DO WAS IDENTIFY THIS NODE PROBLEM AND UPGRADE ASAP.  

THE SAD RESULT OF NO FAIR COMPETITION IN SOUTHER ONTARIO.

Re: Extreme Plus 1 mbps or less every night four weeks. Is Rogers network Issue

RSLOW
I Plan to Stick Around

I see my posts were edited to remove the names of Rogers employees.  I have nothing against those employees personally.  They each at times had told me there was no issue and it was likely my computer, for the first 10 or 12 days of calls.  Other posters on dslreports.com, whom I had encouraged to keep calling were getting shot down by tier 1 tech support.  Rogers tech support was often ignoring the good line tests, not looking into customers complaints that this was a known Rogers issue.  

I listed those names to simply lend credibility to the other customers inquiries, to at least get the teir 1 tech support rep to even believe them.   Its only out of lack of options when Rogers has an issue it doesnt want to talk about.  It wants to talk about how "blazing fast" its network is, for some customers. 

They have time to put glossy ads in my mail box.  Rogers has time to advertise every 3 commercials, mocking other companies speeds, all the while denying those same speeds to many for weeks.   They have time and money to do all that advertising.  Think of what that costs.  Second largest ISP in Canada, but it takes them weeks to identify and correct congestion problems.  That, Rogers doesnt have the time or money for.  

I was told this would be fixed this week in my part of North Waterloo.  Keep calling until it's fixed.  We are human beings, not fee generating piggy banks, as Rogers often treats us.  

Re: Extreme Plus 1 mbps or less every night four weeks. Is Rogers network Issue

jkleist
I've Been Here Awhile

Bridgeport area (border of Kitchener and North Waterloo).

I'm on Extreme Plus, supposed to be getting 33 Mbps down and just like everyone here, I'm getting 1.5 - 2.0 Mbps after 5 pm. During the day, I can get upwards of 30-40 Mbps (but I'm rarely ever at home before between 8-6 pm).

I've logged almost 30 support calls with Rogers since the slow speeds started.  Rogers should be embarrassed with it's customer service and technical support team.  The first 10 calls involved them blamming slow speeds on the modem, cable into the house, from the curb, etc. I had one tech and one maintenance guy in, both saying signal strength is perfect from curb to modem.  After this, tech support said to replace the modem (even though the tech said it was working perfectly). I replaced the modem anyhow but didn't fix the issue.  Finally, tech support sent one more tech out to replace the cable right from the curb to the modem (yes, an entirely new run).  Didn't fix the issue.  There was nothing left to replace!

I called back and asked for tier 2 tech support (which is who tier 1 refers to when they don't know the answer) and they told me there is a known network issue affected Docsis 3.0 modems in several areas of KW and could not provide an ETA.  They credited my account for the full month since I'm receiving basically no service.  I said I'll call back in a week.

I called tech support just now and asked if there was an update on the network issue, he checked with tier 2 and said the network issue still exists and there is not ETA.  Really? Unbelievable!  I'm paying $70 a month for a service I'm not receiving and their response is "yes, there is a network issue and there is no ETA".  

If this were water, gas or electricity providing 5-10% of what you're paying for, it would be all over the news.  Internet service? Nothing.

Rogers, you've lost a ton of credibility.  Don't think that by keeping affected customers in the dark is going to keep this from affecting your brand and credibility.  I'm telling everyone I know about this experience.

The saddest part of it all is, there is no competition for internet service in this area and Rogers knows that.  All of the affected customers have no place to go, unless you move over to DSL and receive a fraction of what you're supposed to be receiving from Rogers.

I'm calling daily until the issue is fixed.  Everyone here should do the same.  Clog up their tech support lines.

James.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 11 in conversation