Email Trojans From Rogers/Yahoo

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Email Trojans From Rogers/Yahoo

I've recently received a few email Trojans, which came through as email attachments on an Outlook 2007 client. I was always under the impression that Rogers used some form of Norton Anti-Virus at their end to catch these things instead of passing them along. Fortunately, I use Norton 360 and it has trapped them all. I haven't seen this issue in a long time, but it's happening more frequently. There's also been a huge increase in spam over the last few weeks, although I realize that Rogers has nothing to do with that.

The main reason for posting this is to alert other users that they may get infected by Trojans, etc. unless they have their system properly protected.

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Email Trojans From Rogers/Yahoo

What type of attachments were they? File type. Just curious, and also to let others to know what to keep an eye out for, if theirs did not catch it

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

I forget exactly what kind of attachments they were, but will check my N360 security log to see if it gives that specific info. I know it always identifies what the exact risk is by its name and severity. I think they came in attached to fake delivery notices for companies like Fedex. I get lots of those, but they don't always contain security risks. I'll post back here after I've had a look.

Edit: Looks like I deleted the actual security log entry, but here's a link to Symantec which describes one of the Trojans that it caught: http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2010-011016-3514-99

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah ok. Yeah, the FedEx /ups ones usually have a .zip that I have seen.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers email clients is awful. Yes, many peeps are getting tons of spam email, attached junk, viruses, et al. I rarely even use it anymore. All I get is like 30-40 spam a day. I use gmail as my main client and rarely have that issue. I used to use N360 as well but found it sucks also they charge you renew every year. Stick with microsoft essentials for security and gmail as your client and your issues should minimize, point blank. MS essentials is FREE btw... as is gmail yet they do better than crap you pay for like N360 and rogers emails. 

*Edited for content*