cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Issue - Rogers said I need to pay TechXpert to resolve

user32423
I've Been Around

Okay, so I've been a very loyal Rogers customer for years.  As soon as Rogers became available many years ago, having had such horrific experiences with Bell Canada, I leaped into the waiting arms of Rogers.  Not only have I signed up with Rogers for every option when/where it has been available to me/up to me, I convinced my parents to add a cellphone to my account in case of emergencies, despite Rogers insisting that they had to sign a 3-year contract (they never used it but hey, they signed a 3-year contract.  Rogers ain't no dummy).  Despite this and up until today, I have been, on the whole, happy with Rogers.

I am a technical idiot, and am fine to stay that way.  I upgraded my phone with Rogers to an IPHONE5, and have been quite happy with it.  I pay relatively high rates, given that I only use it to make phone calls, access my email, and go on the internet sometimes--but the thought of purchasing APPS, and using the half-million other options my phone offers gives me hives). 

I don't go to the Rogers store, admittedly, because the nearest one is a fairly long drive, and once you get there, there is no protocol--no specific spot to line up, for example, no number to take to ensure fair wait time, etc.  It's actually entertaining (assuming you aren't there to get things done and get on with your life) to watch 10-20 poor customers milling around the store, unsure of what to do, trying to catch the eye of the two overworked Rogers employees who don't seem to have been given any rules/protocol to follow.  But after my one attempt to go to that store for help ended with me leaving in bemusement at their idiotic customer service, I have never returned (and frankly, I would really rather stick pins in my eyes than go back for any real help).

Today, though, really changed my perspective on this company. 

I understand that companies exist to make money, not to make friends, or to act as philanthropic organizations.  But naive, idealist me didn't realize what a shark I had hooked my life preserver to until today.  Yesterday, I received an email from Microsoft, informing me that they thought my email account had been hacked.  They recommended that I reset my password, since my account was apparently being used by someone in Vietnam (I live in Canada).  So I took their advice and reset my password.  Went to bed.

This morning when I woke up and checked my phone, I blinked.  The "phone" icon had disappeared, and I didn't have one new email, which I knew had to be wrong.  I tried to press the "mail" icon to get into my email account, but was told I needed to reset my password.  I did that, but still no luck.  I went to call a friend who knows more about these things than I do, but realized I couldn't, since I couldn't find the phone icon!  Basically at that point, my phone, my ONLY phone, and what I had let turn into my lifeline to the rest of the world, had become a doorstop.  Not good.

I went to my parents' place so that I could use their landline, and called Rogers Customer Service.  I explained the situation.  The woman said something to the effect that the phone icon couldn't have simply disappeared, and had I looked carefully for it?  I didn't ask her WHY it had taken it upon itself to move to another location while I slept, but followed her directions, and eventually found it hiding in an area I never would have thought to look for it--a page I didn't even know existed.  It was hiding there with my Settings icon.  She said I should be able to tap it and drag it back to the home page, but no matter what I did, that little phone icon wasn't going anywhere.

Now let me assure you at this point that while I am admittedly quite dumb when it comes to technology, I have a Master's Degree in the Humanities, so I'm not a complete idiot.

Anyway, I resigned myself to having to retrace my steps everytime I wanted to adjust my settings or make a phone call since the tech support's advice wasn't working, and turned my attention to the issue of my dark and dead mail icon.  She advised me to access the internet from my sick phone and to get into my hotmail account that way, to see if it was working.  It was, and predictably, there was a glut of unread messages waiting for me.  So I asked her how I could get my email account working on my phone.  She said she couldn't fix it, and that it wasn't a "Rogers" problem, but a Hotmail or a Microsoft problem.  I asked what the difference was between Hotmail and Microsoft, feeling like a moron, only to have her admit to me that she didn't know the difference either.

She then said that she could connect me to an outside company with which Rogers did business, but that I would have to pay $39.99 to have them fix the problem.  A little taken aback, I said no, I didn't want to have to pay that much, and that for now, I would use my home computer to check my email. 

Anyway, later in the day, I decided to call back, hoping that I might get a more knowledgeable and/or helpful Tech support person.  So this time I got a guy, also nice, and I explained to him why I was calling.  When I was done explaining the situation about 10 minutes later, he admitted that there was a $40 ish fee to get my problem solved, and reiterated that this was because, again, my problem wasn't a "Rogers" problem.  He could probably tell that I was a little upset at the thought of paying the fee, given that I didn't think "I" had done anything wrong (not like I broke my phone, dropped it in the toilet, my dog ate it, etc..).  So he said a bit hesitantly that if I waited three days and called back to report the problem, the company that would today charge me $39.99, would only charge me $7.99. 

I was taken aback, having been fairly convinced by this point that this wasn't a "Rogers" problem, as I kept being told.  I was quiet for a few minutes as I tried to work out the logic behind this policy.  I finally said to him something along the lines of, "So basically Rogers charges about $40 to get the problem fixed right away.  But if you're willing to deal with the hassle of the problem for three days, you only have to pay $7.99."  He agreed.  So I said, "So basically, Rogers makes people pay MORE if they are really desperate to have their phone fixed, but if people are less desperate, perhaps less worried about losing business that they rely on to make a living, they don't have to pay as much?"  At this point I felt sorry for, well, let's call him Steve.  A nice guy just doing his job, he babbled that he didn't really AGREE with this policy, but it wasn't his decision, and--    I cut him off, assuring him that I didn't blame him, and didn't want him to lose his job by saying something on our call, which Rogers customers are always told could be "monitored for training purposes."  I didn't want this kid to lose his job admitting he was working for a company whose policy, in this case, is, frankly, sneaky, surreptitious, and, in my opinion, duplicitous.  So I just thanked him for the information, and after getting his name, a reference number, along with a promise that he would write down the $7.99 deal on my "file" and that it would be clear to whomever I call in three days time that I had suffered the three day waiting period for the poor, I assured him that what I was about to say was not directed at him but at the company.  I wish, I WISH. that I had recorded myself, but I said something like, "This is directed towards whoever from Rogers who might be listening to this call.  I hung up, feeling a variety of emotions.  But I had to laugh when, not long after the call I got an email message (accessible only by my computer, of course), saying CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO YOUR ACCOUNT.  I read it carefully, wondering what THIS was about:

Rogers TechXpert

Effective May10, 2016                              Monthly Fees

$7.99

A charge of 7.99/month has been added to my account.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Email Issue - Rogers said I need to pay TechXpert to resolve

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @user32423

I am very sorry to hear about the troubles & the way you are feeling about us Smiley Sad If an issue is deemed outside the scope of Standard Tech Support you are referred to our Premium Fee-Based Service, TechXpert.  Support for a 3rd party email would fall under this category.

Regarding the pricing structure, its $39.99 for a live one time fix. A monthly subscription is $7.99 per month but takes 3 days to activate.

There are many other resources to solve the problem if you prefer to not use the service. For instance, you can have look around the forums for any previous solutions or how to articles that may be of use.

Have you tried removing the email account & re-adding it ?

RogersAsif

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @user32423

I am very sorry to hear about the troubles & the way you are feeling about us Smiley Sad If an issue is deemed outside the scope of Standard Tech Support you are referred to our Premium Fee-Based Service, TechXpert.  Support for a 3rd party email would fall under this category.

Regarding the pricing structure, its $39.99 for a live one time fix. A monthly subscription is $7.99 per month but takes 3 days to activate.

There are many other resources to solve the problem if you prefer to not use the service. For instance, you can have look around the forums for any previous solutions or how to articles that may be of use.

Have you tried removing the email account & re-adding it ?

RogersAsif

GibMcFragger
I'm a Reliable Contributor
I would start with this:

Go to settings/mail, and in the accounts section at the top, it should show your Hotmail account.

Go into it and just make sure the password matches your new one. If not, change it there to match.

If that doesn't work, you can try deleting the account altogether and adding it again with the correct info.

Other than that, it's hard to troubleshoot without the phone in hand.
Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation