Early Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Early Upgrade

I upgraded my device, in the beginning of January.. I was wondering.. If I wanted an early upgrade with rogers, Is there some kind of fee I have to pay or I can't do anything but wait? ..

Just wondering.

Thanks,

Ant

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Early Upgrade

Sorry it does not let me edit my post but; It was a blackberry device that I upgraded too. 

I've Been Around

Recently we went to a Rogers store to upgrade to a blackberry with a new plan. We later found out that if we want the promotional pricing which you lock in with a 3-year agreement, you have to wait 2 years and a couple months for a Smartphone upgrade. If you would like to upgrade to a normal mobile phone the wait is only a year. So if you DID want to upgrade to a Smartphone or regular Mobile phone without the necessary requirement (i.e Less than 2 years since you've upgraded your phone for the Smartphone or Less than 1 year since you've upgraded your phone for the Mobile) you would have to pay the upfront price. For example if you paid 30 dollars for a Blackberry with a 3-year data plan, the upfront price would be around $499. Hope that solves your problem!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lol thats just weird. Can we do like a monthly fee every month there's a fee for the phone the comes on your bill or no ?

I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers standard for a data device is 2yrs for a HUP now, but I've noticed on the Rogers My Account that I can upgrade, so check after at least 1 year and you might see those codes on your account on My Rogers or in a store. When the BlackBerry Torch is released, they may be allowing HUP for newer clients if they promote it the way Rogers has promoted the iPhone 4.Other then that, there might be a possibility of you contacting customer service or sales and explain why you want to upgrade and charge it to your acount, but it'll be a lump sum, not a mthly added cost.

Good luck.

You'll find me when I'm not playing or ref'ing hockey or volleyball.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah I tried that before and it didnt work, its a part of that contract you sign if you want to buy the phone outright you have to pay in full up front at the store they only subsidize phones on term renewals.  The only way to upgrade is to buy the unit outright unless the do a HUP like with the iPhone and the BB is a pretty popular phone so you never know and even at that it wont be at a super great deal.

I Plan to Stick Around

Depending on your spend and the reasons you need to upgrade, Customer Relations will work with you on that desire.  You'll pay something, but they will look for ways save some money and make the process more paletable. 

Steve.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sometimes they are willing but if your on a basic plan or have had rententions apply credits to your account or such then you are less likely to get any help.

I Plan to Stick Around

My experience has been both on our lines, and what I have read, that in most cases, they will try.  Unfortunately, that can change with the person that you get on the line.  Bottom line, is that you are looking at extending a contract albeit only about 7-8 months more than they have you for already, and that may carry some weight.  Free smartphone?  Likely not, but some financial relief for the HUP, I suspect could be negotiated.

In curiosity only, at the risk of seeming nosey, I am wondering with a relatively new Berry 9700 (?) what are you looking to move to?

Best,

Steve.

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for all the replies on early upgrades!

Please keep in mind our community forum was designed as a place where customers can help each other find answers for technical questions and this thread is getting off-topic for the forums.

Check out other venues where customers can discuss non-technical topics including our RedBoard blog (http://redboard.rogers.com) and our @RogersHelps Twitter account. There are also lots of great third-party forums where non-technical conversations take place regularly.