Early Upgrade Fee Nightmare

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Early Upgrade Fee Nightmare

On Oct3 I got a text message on Rogers SVC saying: They would waive my early upgrade fee and and admin fees.

I jumped on the opportunity. I went into the Rogers Plus to check and they looked up my account and everything matched what the text said.

I reserved it online and today I got the phone, ready to pay my $229 and they tell me Ohh you have a $117 EUF fee.

Has anyone else had this problem, how is this possible. Was it a promo? I have waited 1 month for the phone (patiently).

Suggestions?

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Early Upgrade Fee Nightmare

Hello Sameer555

I would suggest calling Rogers and speaking to Retentions or a manager. Tell them u have a text showing you all this. Forward that text to them. Also go back to a store and have the store call in and all. It will help.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Im guessing the online reservation, for whatever reason, might not have been able to see whatever flags are in there, that was to waive the fees.

I've Been Here Awhile

yep, got the same yesterday......dude, be glad yours is only $117.... mine was about $320 (I'm a year and a half away from being "rogers free")....... I pretty much told them to no!!!!  I wanted to get the Samsung Galaxy S4 (because my old samsung died.......actually broke the screen, got it repaired and never worked properly after).... so I figured I'll get the upgrade.  WRONG!!! I still might get the phone, sell it online for $750-$800 and then use that money toget out of "ROGERS' JAIL"!!!!  that's the only way to get out of your contract.  Sell the phone online and then use that money to get out!!  

But yes, I feel your pain, best thing is to just pay out your term and go to Wind mobile.  i've been with these thieves since 1996 and i'm getting OUT I've had it, if they are treating me like this for being a client since them the cold shoulder!!!  Everyone shoudl too!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Remember, when you are getting a phone.. the EUF or flex tab ballance... is you repaying whatever hardware subsidy you have remaining.

These phones, often cost $500-700.  When you are staring your term and only paying $150+ for it.. it means that rogers is LOANING you the remaining $400+ for it.  Each month of your term, you are paying back a portion of that.

IF you want to upgrade before that time.. you need to REPAY that loan, that is what the EUF is.

Going with wind, really is no different.
They just only have a 1 year term... BUT you end up paying MORE money upfront for the phone.  If you chose to upgrade or leave wind before that one year.. its the same deal, you need to repay that hardware credit.

With either company, you can avoid this all together, by paying the price of the phone outright.

I am not saying to NOT leave, change companies, etc.  But just to be aware, its the same policies/practices, everywhere.

I've Been Here Awhile

here's the math as an example: 

Rogers - $70 per month plan for the next 36 months = $2520

Wind  $30 per month plan  for the next 36 months = $1080 for the same time period.

A savings of $1440.00!!! now you tell me what phone out there is worth paying for $1440?

Regardless of the coverage and all, even if you're out roaming with Wind, i'm sure people are smart enough to not run up a roaming bill of $1400 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Coverage is the BIG thing with wind.  For myself, i am NOT in a wind area.

Roaming fees, are big $$.  I bet you someone out of a wind area, could easily rack up that much in a 36 month period or longer.

I am not saying wind is bad.  If you are in an area where they have service, its a valid option.

All i was trying to say was, for the fact of HARDWARE, which is what you are repaying on the upgrade fee, etc.. is practicaly the same between companies.