Early Upgrade Fee Increase

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Early Upgrade Fee Increase

Since I had been having some issues with my Samsung Infuse 4G, I started looking at early upgrade costs back in January.  At that time I still had about 20 months or so left on my 3-year contract.  The cost to buy out the phone was about $250.  I can understand that.  What I don't understand is how that cost could increase to $320 as of today.  I figured that after an additional 5 months I would have reduced the cost of the HUF. 

I've been a Rogers customer for cell phone since the technology was introduced in Canda back when they were Cantel.  If this is how they treat long time customers (and, I'm assuming, all others as well) I'll be getting out as soon as I can.

Hello Rogers....  can anyone explain how I owe MORE on my phone after paying for 5 more months of my contract????

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Early Upgrade Fee Increase

Rogers Modified the Early Upgrade Policy at the begining of June. Basically, Smartphones went from $13 per month remaining in your contract to being $20 per month remaining in your contract, for anyone whose contract was signed before January 2012, which is when the Flex Tab was introduced.

Now, As an existing Rogers customer you can certainly call and see what they may be willing to do in order to reduce this cost, they may even reduce it back to the old pricing method for you (They did for me when they did the same thing last year.)

Call and find out what they can do for you if you need to upgrade.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Also many users have been finding the website showing odd values.. even people on the new flex tab, having full values showing when 6 months in... sometimes the site is confused between if a person should have a flex tab or a EUF.

I Plan to Stick Around

I think thats a result of the policy change. I'm not gonna lie, it seems to have been very poorly implemented 😞
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Because my old phone was dieing at about the 11 month left spot, I chose to early upgrade, must have been JUST before this as I know I didn't pay that much per month.

This is why the new flex tab is better, no arbitrary values, etc. it's purely based off what phone you get and how much hardware subsidy there is.

We are going through phone upgrades for work right now with corp bell who is still all contract based. People with 2 months left? $120 😞

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That's ridiculous.  I've signed a deal agreeing to a certain amount going towards the subsidized portion of my phone each month, and then Rogers changes that to their benefit retroactively?  If I decide to upgrade, they had better give credit as per the original agreement - it would be cheaper for me to buy out my contract and change providers.  I'd just have to live with MTS...  I've got to move to a 1st world province...

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello higger_jeff

Actually Rogers or any carrier is allowed to change that. The contract does state that Rogers can change the policy & rules anytime they want. Read the contract & you will see. It does not matter if you signed up for what u did, they can do whatever they want i am afraid. If you want to a discount or theym give you a credit, call Rogers & speak to retentions. See what they can do but they will most likely give u a small discount or credit. Not all of it.

The original contact is voided now as the new policy came out. That is how it works with all carrier including MTS.

Believe me i was just as upset but after reading the contract, you can see it there they are allowed to change it anytime they want.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats just it... how RIGHT it is to do those things?  It is very upsetting that they can.

But legaly.. they CAN.  Just about any telecom company has this in their ToU/ToS... canada, usa, and more.

And its not even just telecom... you look at just about any service, software, etc.. actualy READ the ToU/ToS, and they are allowed to do this 😞

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Isn't it ironic that the major carriers, Rogers.Bell et al. are now going to court complaining that the new CRTC cell phone code may be retroactive and affect about 20% of their customers who signed a three year deal between the time the ruling was made and when it comes into effect.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I thought, that under the new thing, it was only for NEW contracts?  Didnt think it was retroactive... but if it is, good, it SHOULD be.