Early Cancellation Question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Early Cancellation Question

Hi All;

I currently have a iPhone 4 with 12 months left on the contract, my early cancellation fee is $156.  I want to buy the new iPhone 5, but I want to buy it unlocked from Apple.  Is there anyway to pay the $156 fee, get my phone unlocked from Rogers, KEEP the current plan I have (cause I do like the plan), and just go get one of the new nano sims (for $11 or whatever) and pop it into the new iPhone 5.

The key thing is to get the phone unlocked, cause I have a buddy who's willing to buy it off me for a decent price, Cool Guy Discount!!!.

Thanks for the help!!!

****Edited Labels****

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Early Cancellation Question

You would have to pay the upgrade fee, which would take you out of the contract with rogers.  Then pay them $50, and they will unlock the phone for you.  You then can sell it to your friend.

You then can then get a new one from apple, and get a new sim card from rogers, and have them transfer the plan to the new sim.

Be warned, that some people have had mixed luck about getting the nano sim.. rogers has to make sure they have enough to cover the people buying the iphone 5 from them, before giving them out to others.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks very much GDkitty for the reply;

Ya I fully expected Rogers to keep most the the nano sims aside for the customers who are actually doing the HUP through them, but with such a big back order through Apple right now (checked this morning 3-4 weeks), I don't plan on ordering it until atleast October, hopefully some of the hoopla has die down by then (hoping for it atleast!!!).

I mostly just need the phone unlocked, cause the buddy I'm selling it too is with Koodo, so the least I could do is charge him the amount it's gonna cause me to get out of my contract and the $50 to unlock it!!  Be about $200 for him!!!

Thanks Again GDkitty!!!

I've Been Around

Your cancellatiion fees is $156... i was told mine was $260 and i got my iphone 4 july 31st 2010, on release day. so is rogers messing with me?

I've Been Here Awhile

Ya you might wanna look into that, I got mine on Aug 5 2010.  I'm going off of the text I got from Rogers from when I called 611, and it told me to upgrade to the new 5 it would cost me for the 32g option, $329 for the phone plus $156 early upgrade fee plus a $35 activation fee.  And that was just to sign a new 3 year contract.  Which I'm not doing.  

I'm done with the 3 year contracts, if they can give me a 2 year, I'll do that but there's no way I'm doing any more 3 year contracts.  I'll fork out the money to buy an unlocked phone rather then subsidze the iPhone.

I could be wrong though!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Each of the phones (other than new ones on the flex tab, which is a little different), has an early upgrade fee.

The early upgrade fee, would normaly be, around the 250+ mark for your guys time range, if you were to upgrade to just about ANY phone other than the iphone 5.

There are some special previsions made, for existing iphone users, who still have a higher upgrade fee, that its reduced, if they get the iphone 5.

Now, normaly the pricing you see , is based off that 3 year term.  So a $800 phone goes down to 300 or whatever, with the 3 year term.
You often can get a smaller term.. say the 2 year, yes, BUT, your starting cost on the phone, will go up.  It may be 450 instead of 800.

Now, i dont know if the smaller early upgrade fee, many only be available, if you take a 3 year contract, etc.  Also that reduced early upgrade fee, would again likely only happen, if you got the 5 on a term plan (again, may have to be a 3).  If you outright bought from rogers, or especialy bought unlocked from somewhere else, your upgrade fee would most definately likely not reduced at all.