ETA on Gingerbread update for the Captivate?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

ETA on Gingerbread update for the Captivate?

European Samsung Captivate users have received the Android Gingerbread update for the phone.  As Froyo introduced some annoying bugs, I would really like to see this update soon. 

Is there an ETA on when Rogers will be releasing it? Or do I need to go through other channels to update my phone?

Thanks in advance,

***edited labels***

I'm Here A Lot

Re: ETA on Gingerbread update for the Captivate?

As I understood it the Gingerbread released in Europe is for the Galaxy S i9000, not the Captivate.  If I remember correctly Google pulled the update too.  I don't expect the Captivate to get GB until sometime this summer.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So I guess I'll keep my 2.1... with the random shut downs... Why did I get the phone at the end of October? I should've waited...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

There are Captivates on Rogers running Gingerbread right now.  They simply aren't legit copies.

We really need this update.  it includes new boot-loaders and a huge graphics boost for our phones.  On top of that, it fixes the Proximity bug.

Once you get Gingerbread, your face will stop hitting buttons on the phone once you move past a certain pitch.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

running great on froyo...just hoping for gingerbread to help or improve battery. Using ADW lanuncher has helped lots, tons of glitches with my launcherpro and froyo.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Why 2.1?  You should be able to update your phone to 2.2 with Kies no problem.

If you're technically adept, do what I did, I'm running GB 2.3.3 on my Captivate by using a rom from XDA-Developers.. Works great. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=703

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@kedaly wrote:

Why 2.1?  You should be able to update your phone to 2.2 with Kies no problem.

If you're technically adept, do what I did, I'm running GB 2.3.3 on my Captivate by using a rom from XDA-Developers.. Works great. http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=703

Sure, you can do that if you want to void your warranty.  Also, rebrand your phone as an I-9000.  By the way, you also lost all your noise cancellation because the modem your using wasn't designed for the i896.

Fortunately, you can return to stock easily enough.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Seems like the Galaxy S counter part at Bell (Fascinate) will be getting its upgrade over the summer.  I am sure that Rogers will be getting their's around the same time.

You can read the article at Mobilesyrup.com:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/07/07/android-os-2-3-coming-to-bell-galaxy-tab-vibrant-incredible-s-desi...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The Bell version is actually the Vibrant (Fascinate is Telus), regardless, it appears that the Vibrant got 2.3 via Kies yesterday, so I'm wondering if it's up for the Captivate as well (not holding my breath)

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

the random shut downs is a differnt issue.  It is hardware.  you can get it replaced under warranty.