EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

I don't know if I received it or not. If I did, it, like all other similar emails was deleted. so far my yahoo.ca email works just fine so maybe I was one who was not affected by the changes.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have yet to receive one.. Though the spam filter may have eaten it.
Email will continue to work the old way as well until the cutoff.

When, is the exact question. Neither Rogers nor yahoo have posted that, other than 'January'

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I made the changes to all my addresses yesterday without incident.  Still find it odd only 2 of my 5 addresses got the e-mail and I routinely check my spam folder thoroughly before emptying it (Outlook 2007 & Norton Internet Security).

I also find it strange the two Rogers reps who've posted this thread haven't come out and clearly stated something to the effect, "don't worry your precious little hearts, this is a legitimate e-mail...blah, blah, blah".  I found the posts to be vague.  One just linked to a page and the other referenced back to the post on page 1.  Yes the link provided all the information needed, but it would have saved a lot of speculation if it was clearly stated not to worry.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

I have a landlady who's a Rogers customer and claims she didn't get the email, so she knows nothing about it. I sent her a link to the web page that explains the procedure. She uses MacMail on an Apple laptop. When I told her about the change, she simply said she's going to call Rogers. Doing or understanding what's required isn't her "thing".

I wonder how many Rogers' customers are unaware of this change. It could be real bad news for support people when it gets implemented and they have outraged customers on the phone.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. hopefully they have extra staff on hand whenever the cutover date is 😞

Unless they are still doing the sending out.. like in waves or something..

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Updating Your Rogers Yahoo Email! Account

Hey everyone,

First, I want to thank everyone for their feedback.  I shared it with internal teams and some changes have been made to the process (and more changes will likely be made).  

Next, a second email has been sent out.  If you've already made the changes, you can ignore the message.  However, if you haven't made the changes, please follow the instructions in the message.  

Here is a copy of the email for your reference:

1-14-2014 12-29-38 PM.png

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am happy about this change for the extra security/privacy. But even more, I am hoping this is going to have an effect on the reliability of outbound email thru the Rogers/Yahoo servers. Lately we've been experiencing more and more bounce backs due to several of the Yahoo mail servers repeatedly landing on spam blacklists. (Any incoming mail servers using such blacklists to control inbound spam may choose to reject the messages).

Does this change affect all Yahoo users as well? Or only Rogers? i.e. right now we are effectively sharing servers with a free webmail provider... magnet to spammers - which means we as Rogers users suffer due to the actions of the bad apples abusing Yahoo. 

I am hoping that less spam will be sent thru the Yahoo servers for a while after these changes because much of the mail abuse software out there isn't programmed for SSL. If the plan is to decommission the non-SSL ports entirely, that should stop some of the spammers from abusing the Yahoo network.

Or maybe if it's only Rogers or other ISP users who will benefit from the SSL-enabled servers, while mail from free Yahoo accounts continue to use a separate set of non-SSL enabled servers, that would mean way less frequent blacklisting issues for legit users.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

my wife received one at her yahoo address.

From what i have read, its ALL of yahoo, as well as affiliates, like rogers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Followed Rogers' instructions for my Windows Live Mail 2009 and keep getting server certificate warnings.  My windows is up to date.    Can anyone shed some light on this?  Warning is as follows:

" the server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. The certificate name does not match the passed value. Do you want to continue using this server yes no"

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

for Fuzzione re: certificate error:

1. You are only doing this for your @rogers.com email addresses ?

2. What are you using for the incoming and ougoing server names?:    I am using both of the following sets in Outlook 2010 and not getting any cert mismatch errors for either of them:

pop.broadband.rogers.com

smtp.broadband.rogers.com

pop.mail.yahoo.com

smtp.mail.yahoo.com