EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

gwiki:

You're probably right about lots of calls being made to Rogers. I actually got the email a long time ago. When I read it, it looked like spam and potentially a phishing email, so I deleted it. Thanks to this thread, I found out otherwise and would be wondering what the heck is going on when the change over is complete. I wonder if Rogers will send a reminder email as it gets closer.

I'm Here A Lot

I agree Rogers needs to do its homework a lot better.  The only Mac option on the Rogers dropdown list is "Mac Mail on OS 10.7.3 Lion".  The bulk of users are either on OS Mavericks (10.9) or Mountain Lion (10.8), which have a more advanced version of Apple Mail.

I use Outlook for Mac 2011, which is not even mentioned nor is Office 365 for those Windows/Mac users that have migrated to Office in the cloud.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

SSL, SMTP, POP, OS this OS that. I hope Rogers realizes that there many technologically illiterate people, especially in the senior age group who will be completely lost trying to follow their instructions. That is assuming they don't just garbage that e mail. I and most of my friends among them. .

If I had not seen this thread I would automatically trash that email assuming it was spam.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Likely if someone is that confused with all that stuff, unless they had someone set up their email for them, likely doesn't have the knowledge/ability to set it up in the first place.

A reason why many just use the webmail now, one login, no setup, and not effected by the changes.
(Though webmail changes recently, that's a whole other ball game)

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@:Gdkitty wrote:
Likely if someone is that confused with all that stuff, unless they had someone set up their email for them, likely doesn't have the knowledge/ability to set it up in the first place.

A reason why many just use the webmail now, one login, no setup, and not effected by the changes.
(Though webmail changes recently, that's a whole other ball game)

Right.  We (I) do have someone to set things up for us.  Usually one of our children or grandchildren oblige after they go through the eye-rolling , sighing and procrastination routine.   Smiley Frustrated

I'm an Advisor

jays77:

You could even post questions here when the time comes. It's pretty straight forward, but easy for me to say. BTW: I'm in my 70's but have been involved with technology all my adult life. If you need help, you can contact me in a private message rather than in the forum. Would be happy to help.

I've Been Around

This is a case study in how NOT to implement changes.  Bad instructions.  I use Outlook 2013 and it is apparently not supported.

POP3 SSL 995 works, but SMTP 465 does not work.  I let if at SMTP 25 which was already in use.

If I can't send email once the transition period is over, I will seriously consider dumping Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JSBPhoto wrote:

This is a case study in how NOT to implement changes.  Bad instructions.  I use Outlook 2013 and it is apparently not supported.

POP3 SSL 995 works, but SMTP 465 does not work.  I let if at SMTP 25 which was already in use.

If I can't send email once the transition period is over, I will seriously consider dumping Rogers.

@ @ JSBPhoto

Outlook 2013 is 100% supported.  ANY email client is supported.

Unfortunately.. step by step instructions for how to change it for 2013 are not there... the page needs some serious updating/adding of things for people not familiar.

BUT.. the port settings, do work.  Changed my wifes outlook 2007 just now, as well as created a new outlook 2013 for my email just to test there as well.

One thing that you need to make sure, is that SSL is set ON for the outgoing server as well as the incomming.  Its a different checkbox/dropdown than the SSL for the incomming.

If this is not enabled, the 465 port will not work (is a SSL only port).

But it works fine as long as its enbaled.

I've Been Around

I got this tech support note, as well.  As an IT Services Management Professional, I must point out that this situation has been very poorly handled by Rogers-Yahoo tech support.  Imbedding a link in an email is common and well-known tactic of Phishing hackers and malware spoofs and creates an atmoshpere of mistrust.  Banks and other commercial organiza\tions advise their clients to disregard similar emails and to even report such to their netwrok support/security staff.  A better approach would have been to prompt the Client to connect to the Rogers Tech support site, independent of the emai.  The approach used for this action has been very unprofessional. They could have/should have done better!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do agree with Scouter_mike.

I DID see when i loged into my wifes email, from the yahoo site, on a mobile browser... it DID have a notice at the top of the page about the change, etc..
Sort of pointless.. since thats the WEB version of the site..
But that sort of prompting, is more like what Scouter_mike was saying..

Even on an email.. saying to please login to your MYROGERS.. and the prompt being there, etc.

Problem is, that likely alot of people go "oh look a rogers email... DELETE" without reading it period most of the time 😛