EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Rogers info for outlook 2010 is wrong. On the server port settings screen in outlook 2010, Rogers shows that there is an ssl check box for both the incoming and outgoing servers. There is not. There is only a check box for the incoming server. For the outoing, there is a drop down where you can choose ssl.

Also, Rogers shows using 465 as the outgoing server. When I change to that. the test message fails. The test message succeeds if I stay on port 587.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And SSL is checked for the outgoing? (and incomming)

I Plan to Stick Around

No. I tried to post a screen cap, but I exceeded the character limit.

In short, in Outlook 2010, there is a check box after the incoming server port code line.  The check box turns on SSL.

After the outgoing server port code line, there is no check box. There is a drop down box. One of the options in the drop down menu is SSL. The default is "none".

I don't know where Rogers got the screen cap for their outlook 2010 instructions, but they didn't get it from Outlook 2010.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont use outlook anymore.. so had to double check.

While the first steps, the how to get to the account settings, is correct 2010.. the rest of it, looks more like 2003/2007 setup (on a 7 machine).

I Plan to Stick Around

OK, I managed to send a test message.

If I choose SSL from the drop down menu and change the smtp port to 465, it works. Sticking with 587 also works, but not using SSL. So, I assume that whenever SSL becomes mandatory, only 465 will work.

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct.  The 465 is an SSL only port.

(and the regular one, is not set up for SSL)

This is a major PAIN for alot of users.. (probably a reason why many use web clients, etc now)...
But all in all.. i guess a GOOD thing in the long run.
Makes your personal information being sent, more secure.

I Plan to Stick Around

It wouldn't be much of a pain, really, if Rogers could provide correct instructions. Screen caps are not a big deal to do.

Anyway, it works, finally.

It's been fun, Gdkitty. Take care and have a Merry Chistmas!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Lol, true.

Someone needs to check on their document writer there 🙂

You have a good xmas too!

I'm an Advisor

gwilki:

As I posted earlier, the same SSL SMTP setup issue exists for Outlook 2007. You have to pick a drop-down and click on SSL, otherwise, it defaults to None. I'm using the 2 port settings 995 and 465 and they both work fine. I also have a Gmail account and checked its settings as a matter of interest. The POP3 server uses SSL and port 995, but the SMPT server uses port 587 and TLS for encryption.

I Plan to Stick Around

Tks, Jim. I overlooked your previous advice.Sorry about that.

I went to the more general support information for setting up email clients, figuring that maybe they would be correct, since they have been around for a while. They are even worse than the ones specifically put together for this change in security settings. I tried to advise Rogers about the errors during a chat session but they don't want to talk to you if you won't allow them to take remote control of your PC. So, I expect that Rogers will be getting "higher than normal call volumes" very soon.  Smiley Frustrated