EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

That's it, thanks!  Haven't changed server names in years.    Had no reason to really...still set up under the older 'bloor.phub' names.    No certificate errors with the new server names.    One thing however, as I performed the update on a secondary laptop first...to see if all ok.    Changing the server names now produces duplicates of every single e-mail on the previous servers.  Is there a way to avoid this?  Before I perform the server name changes on my main computer that still has hundreds of emails stored, I'd like to avoid this duplication if at all possible.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. i am wondering if its the way the client is interpreting it..

SINCE its on a different server name..  it may be viewing EACH of those emails, as 'new' as its never seen them before from that source 😞

Community Manager
Community Manager

Updating Your Rogers Yahoo Email! Account

Reminder,

On February 28th Rogers is making changes to the security of your email that will affect anyone who uses a third party email program with your @rogers.com email addresses.

If you use webmail, you are NOT affected and will not have any interruptions.

You will receive an email from us (pictured below) that provides a summary of this update and a link to our microsite to guide through the step by step changes required. A one-click fix tool is also available to make the changes seamless (NOTE: you must close your email client before running the tool).

Please visit the chat link on that website if you need further assistance.

REMINDER: The quickest way to access your email after February 28 without making changes is to login to webmail; http://mail.yahoo.com/rogers. This website can be accessed from any PC that has internet access – your email from anywhere, secure!

Thank you,

RogersDarrell

SSLMigrationEmail3.JPG

I've Been Around

The Rogers Yahoo URGENT message is still coming to me in spite of my making the required changes last December, then checking them when I got the same persistent message in January.  Yesterday I got it again and now it is warning that my mail may not get through unless I make changes mail settings by February 28th.  What is going on here Rogers?  Why are you using a popular hacker/spammer technique to draw me to a website?  In fact, a click on the link takes me to the Rogers website where I am told the page does not exist!!  Smarten up Rogers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The mail is likely being MASS sent out, to ALL users.

Other than potentially a LOG, that email address X has connected to the server, via the SSL port, etc... there is no way for them to KNOW if a user, on their end, has made the changes or not.

They are sending out the email likely then to everyone.. just in case.
(as many people just go SPAM and delete it)

Though i agree.. the METHOD on how they are delivering this message.. needs alot to be desired 😞

I'm a Trusted Contributor

One company I deal with, for security reasons, doesn't put hyper-links in their emails when the have important messages to pass on. They just tell you to go to their website to view the message. Maybe Rogers should use that method if they don't want us just trashing their emails.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Problem with that, can sometimes be like this.. where its to a directed, specific spection of the webpage.. not where you regularily log in.

Now, that being said.. they probably COULD make it, so that it says to log into your MYROGERS.
At the top of the MY ROGERS, then have the notice/link there, etc.

I've Been Around

Now that we've deterimined that the yahoo email is not spam. I went in to change the settings.

The only thing is that rogers screenshot for changes shows 

Incoming:   pop.broadband.rogers.com

outgoing :  smtp.broadband.rogers.com

My account is imap for incoming and 

smtp.mail.yahoo for outgoing (465 using SSL)

Since my accounts are different, I can't figure out if the Port should be 995 or 993 (using SSL)

I currently have email problems as there is a delay when sending and receiving

and very often a pop up screen asks me to verify my password for each email account,

so I don't want to make it worse

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From what it LISTS.. it only really says POP needing it.. so IMAP.. may not?

Imap, could potentially be slower in some regards.. as its ALWAYS syncing the WHOLE account, making sure everything matches, etc.. vs POP which only downloads, etc... so if you have ALOT of email, etc..

Popup though for the PW.. is odd though.

I've Been Around

Under the advanced heading setting the Port to 995 ....my email does not work.

I have a Mac and the current Port setting is 993. That is the only item that I had to change.