EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

I am not arguing it was a bad way to send it out 🙂

I dont think the LETTER would do any better 😞  You see ALOT on this forum, that people come up saying "I didnt know this change was comming!"  it was mailed to you in a letter "i threw it out and didnt read it, i thought it was junk mail like other the other rogers junk mail"

Primary/vs secondary.. probably doenst matter.. it is likely being sent out, to ALL email addresses (rogers/yahoo).. well.. mostly.

NONE of the rogers ones in my household, have received it.  My mothers at her house has.  My wifes yahoo one has.
(i am wondering, if in some peoples cases.. their own spam filters, are eating it :P)

In the end.. these are LEGIT actions, that must be taken, to retreive your email, after the cut over day.
(i am still trying to find the exact date.. no really posted anywhere, all just say 'januarry').
As long as a user is not entering any of their information themselves into a site to 'do it for them', all the instructions, are things you need to manually change on your OWN client.
The changes only change PORT and SLL enablement.  There is no address change.. so the email is still going to the same location/server.
(any instructions, on that say to CHANGE the server name.. could likely be spam/phishing)

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello, I do invite everyone to revisit Pg. 1 of this thread for further info.

Link: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/1/thread-...

Thank you,

RogersDarrell

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I seen that post from Pg1 however the responce did not legitimize yahoo-mail.com as being "Rogers"

The proper answer to all the questions that have been posted over the last 3 weeks would have been yahoo-mail.com is MarkMonitor, which has been contracted by Rogers to contect all of its clients of their behalf to explain upcoming changes to the mail services.

The email stinks of phishing, I deleted it as soon as I seen yahoo-email.com. Security experts will tell you not to open any attachments or click any links in emails that look like this.

Yes, clicking links is bad. Page it leads to could be using a java exploit targeted at Rogers users. Could go to a page that looks like a Rogers login. Could be verifying that the address is a legitamate email address to try more phishing attempts.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just FYI (gdKitty), I did get this working after doing a little work to check myself. It will work if you use your correct (and current) password.. Smiley Embarassed

I have two email addresses I use and I'm using Mac OS 10.9.1, so I copied the instructions on the help page and tried those and they worked just fine - once I used my correct password. My bad. I am good to go...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right.. they could have done the whole annoucement a whole lot BETTER..how it was delivered... where it was delivered from, etc.

But saying in the above posts.. that it is SPAM or a SCAM, is incorrect... and could cause people reading this thread (say only reading the most recent posts), to beleive that it IS a scam... and for them then NOT to make these changes.
They then when the cutover is done... NOT be able to access their email.

Thats the point i am trying to get across.  YES it needs to be done. YES for Rogers, just as much as a yahoo only address.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Smiley LOLBluPuk wrote:

Just FYI (gdKitty), I did get this working after doing a little work to check myself. It will work if you use your correct (and current) password.. Smiley Embarassed

I have two email addresses I use and I'm using Mac OS 10.9.1, so I copied the instructions on the help page and tried those and they worked just fine - once I used my correct password. My bad. I am good to go...

Gald to hear it 🙂

Thats the problem a lot of the time, with people who only use the 3rd party clients and not webmail, etc... you set and forget the password

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

LOL Smiley Very Happy

I had the password written down, but I forgot where I stored it......

Anyway, forgot to mention that the Mac instructions supplied by Rogers for OS 10.7.3 Mac Mail should also work fine for any OS up to 10.9.1 for all you Mac folks out there.

Rich 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@dsharp you are absolutely correct. I work in IT security and have now wasted a fair bit of of my time on my mother's behalf just trying to figure if that original email was legitimate or not. Given that yahoo-email.com was not owned by Rogers or Yahoo (based on a WHOIS search), I presumed it was a phishing site and ignored it. However she received the same email again and now it appears to be real based on what I see in this thread and from an external search.

SHAME ON ROGERS FOR BEING SO STUPID AS TO SEND OUT AN EMAIL LIKE THAT.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

TedStoner:

Long time IT guy here, and also thought it was a phishing scam, so I ignored it. Not a good way for Rogers to communicate something so important. They often communicate things at the top of web pages on their site, which I think is a better way of getting peoples' attention. Once it became clear it was a legitimate email, I applied the changes, and everything is working fine.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How difficult.. would it have been.. to send it from Rogers email address or something similar, like ALL of the other rogers corp emails are.