EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

I added 'from PC' because the SSL bit of course wouldn't apply to webmail.

Most times it works fine but quite often it simply jams up and I get a popup saying can't connect to server.

Then it goes after two or three attempts.  Very annoying because I have to wait until the email client unjams before trying again.

I've setup the email client exactly as they instructed.   Anyone else seeing this?

This happens in Incredimail Premium and in Windows Mail in Vista, and in IM in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 too.so it would appear their outgoing servers are dodgy to say the least.   No trouble incoming at all.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
I Plan to Stick Around

can someone please report this officially as a scam email and make it sticky on this thread. There is a couple threads like this on this forum, and respected users are conflicting information by in one saying its a legitamate email, and in others saying its a scam.Confusing people.

Senior citizens and none techy users don't know what headers are, or that yahoo-email.com isn't actually rogers.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

OK, I'm a senior member and I could use a bit of help...  got my desktop computer all fixed up (thanks to some wonderful folks on a different thread), but now I'm puzzled about my iPod.  Managed to get into Settings, then Mail-Contacts-Calendars, then Yahoo!, then my email account, then Outgoing Mail Server, then Primary Server, and I see the Outgoing Mail Server Port listed as 465 already, which is what it should be, I think.  Did it update itself somehow?  (I actually had to change the numbers to 465 in my desktop Windows PC).  There's no box on the iPod to click for SSL but 'Use SSL' is already turned 'on', so I guess that is ok.  Can't find the incoming mail settings anywhere, so I'm hoping they're OK too.

Do you think I'm fine?  🙂

Thanking you in advance,

Cathy

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm with you and disagree with the post on page 1 this is legit.  I first received this e-mail to a secondary account in mid December.  That one I deleted as potential spam.  When I received another one to my primary e-mail address a week later I reported it including the headers.

This is the reply I received 20th December from Yahoo Customer Care:

Hello,

We have taken appropriate action against the Yahoo Account in question, as per
our Terms (TOS). Unfortunately, Yahoo is unable to disclose any actions taken
on another user's account. We are not able to make exceptions to this rule.

If you continue to receive these types of emails, please send us the full
headers from an email received. Below, I have provided step-by-step
instructions for displaying the header information needed and how to forward
the message in question to us.

This morning i received a 3rd e-mail as a reminder.  I don't buy this and still think it's a phising attempt.  That one was reported today.

@dsharp wrote:

can someone please report this officially as a scam email and make it sticky on this thread. There is a couple threads like this on this forum, and respected users are conflicting information by in one saying its a legitamate email, and in others saying its a scam.Confusing people.

Senior citizens and none techy users don't know what headers are, or that yahoo-email.com isn't actually rogers.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

The following is the header information from the reminder e-mail.  I have removed my e-mail address:

X-Apparently-To: <removed>  via 98.139.211.186; Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:10:50 +0000 Received-SPF: pass (domain of b.yahoo-email.com designates 208.50.56.21 as permitted sender) X-YMailISG: Ih_PnoUWLDtDBov3ai4LRxTanZCvBLRSZPUklgWboAG2aWVm  3Y4P29lmm7DnRK_as7.F7SP1whEsw5LRYki.LuGPIsPn5fVL6kJOd1FHchet  gZq5uJ1SY97pvqLEuqKTVbqrxxqkJAr1DoyXIs3De0TLTP2u_pjmd_VPDs2t  o4QdoyFSGr0dcVcvQC6_TYQFP_fXVIgZahq9GzlBpATjiQFpt..qhB801GKA  m_VG5g.6eJWKYM9ydaUhyHeBLggdGjJGdO.kJGravZgp_oMT.3EH.WvhHQI9  GGdnRfvNTVR8_8sHCzHmU5gKxS.kip20dELvzbyONLkM4H_PM4jSCElBTw3L  yuzb.dcaZGISRxci2XqJRGFAH6MIbmXZ2p45oSCy241Y0tCosiqPD8.rS8O7  9xwynoh9ZRt248GlTFfNrfarB1dCmpsuYAvn5O3y9x4dvEjn2C3URw3Zcdf7  PYkcLTburDwqU.shpVgxcZ4EIadaJ6x9kwk8HJ.FFLYraMdlKMEHIq8p54iy  VNcqJuQgkjtH_vXULAWL2vRHXpxYTsE3zvNvbqITh980.UTULAhWqJfzkvHG  gvQBuhayU52mXm09n4Zi6L49ZHbwy7n3v2OIlP_x_IiTLdn.nGuWHeqpgzRl  mZMTgRa9f5ZFwN6o4AThIYIfgCQ3z5DcXqSsQRoZFuqQyzORU1iGLQbIzi0z  nVABkt1MYlU7P41sFpZ8fXOugl5Qi1mPfs3mTA_A6NTOoIAGwnomzKH2VBfm  W6a4e1rMPDWX9Dmn.BT9YZ3tDQyGw.QRGhuGG4FnHvIWG3Zrz30I53J1rxbJ  yWOII9qspu.8kSjEXYHgCCaHwrlyTGo2DyW8UPov1EEu3q1W8TQ7AoQ4ttK1  r5lcb1LJ5qaUQe0UF41kFkEEbUrS1Zecj7YgETULN03N.p2wWeMlaLzDMcv1  nz8O1RnSMptfYzM9XOn19MnsxLIwm1xjY6b.Af1e7ZrkhGwvVhSM_ZN3lGqz  dAc85pAeCMSUWHCvoFaR1tyeZsT8xZ1dNK2cOi4fkHOJuruL_dw88uXEyOTm  z.hrTOMjQmkPxX.UYRheTEGhcopXWTxPC1O8Gevjh3_HjJkHpWmZpSQzlCAQ  5yOVM5FcMdNhKEOhO9obKNbnYSJgfbu7uXC_hNSvaEVR25nBOozpA_dnMN0I  5Xq6RQWQ6zjAuYv.qh7sbCTubh7ro3W0vAdEdi7.eKetj9AWuXn.QP5ENxi_  vJIzHIrFisufNf3M0DHc1g-- X-Originating-IP: [208.50.56.21] Authentication-Results: mta1004.rog.mail.bf1.yahoo.com  from=service.yahoo-email.com; domainkeys=pass (ok);  from=service.yahoo-email.com; dkim=pass (ok) Received: from 127.0.0.1  (EHLO mta405.yahoo-email.com) (208.50.56.21)   by mta1004.rog.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Tue, 07 Jan 2014 11:10:50 +0000 DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;  d=service.yahoo-email.com; s=20120918svc; t=1389093050;  x=1404731450; bh=nJ4epWKDMJ5QEjGsn2KZNiKQYlDp2J8+DXhqHUf1dlU=;  h=From:Reply-To;  b=TAHdY0Wk6rUdgNlBD8BXmfnjReyYSV5R0BVzP1urQqPE9/RDFRqrkvIaIo/8Xkf8U   90tKajcT/gbmZThVIx2fqUpvc3gDL2PQS1MPA0qLZojOCuqwQ9nDYPZz9Htju7PoEe   wQnNrVDv4dqeaDtemnmTgl//XYql1qjFyZXiUZ1pH845kYtkyYrcHetPXGX3H+JqKA   /QTYKDkf51Eajdg2ocdBiysWB/cA4D+/vzrc4VLZbSnWc/oI9zcHC+1EzMolZA7B4i   tGKbWCwXyjzH2LiW8On/e3AhHIXlHwfgMdIhLjMmJX47jqFJ1JqWwtpLUKqYq41Xl1   DDt6OHVbmkQsg== DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;   s=200505; d=service.yahoo-email.com;   b=fOd1awFJD4RVJ5sE9uf6dk/chO8tHPPxJHfvYNS1TvWpVeamhNP058ZZvfTXCNnPYPPFLR10TLxLl7UIuO3+gh84GAaDswhjeEeg8+NiE47LZRmF+N/xMMIQQ+Hp99MtgJYAy88n9uiqdCHF2ZCdAQDs08V2/eUNHyhJg7yefwM=;  h=Date:Message-ID:List-Unsubscribe:From:To:Subject:MIME-Version:Reply-To:Content-type; Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 11:10:50 -0000 Message-ID: <b6kvwfgbfc605kau18146qt60mdhfk.14884452024.7626@mta405.yahoo-email.com> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:rm-0b6kvwfgbfc605kau18146qt60mdhfk@yahoo-email.com> From: "Rogers Yahoo Hi-Speed Internet" <rogersyahoo@service.yahoo-email.com> To: <removed> Subject: Reminder: Important changes to your email service MIME-Version: 1.0 Reply-To: "Yahoo" <support-b6kvwfgbfc605kau18146qt60mdhfk@yahoo-email.com> Content-type: multipart/alternative; boundary="=b6kvwfgbfc605kau18146qt60mdhfk" X-Brightmail-Tracker: AAAAAA== X-Brightmail-Tracker: AAAAAA==

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@hamgran wrote:

OK, I'm a senior member and I could use a bit of help...  got my desktop computer all fixed up (thanks to some wonderful folks on a different thread), but now I'm puzzled about my iPod.  Managed to get into Settings, then Mail-Contacts-Calendars, then Yahoo!, then my email account, then Outgoing Mail Server, then Primary Server, and I see the Outgoing Mail Server Port listed as 465 already, which is what it should be, I think.  Did it update itself somehow?  (I actually had to change the numbers to 465 in my desktop Windows PC).  There's no box on the iPod to click for SSL but 'Use SSL' is already turned 'on', so I guess that is ok.  Can't find the incoming mail settings anywhere, so I'm hoping they're OK too.

Do you think I'm fine?  🙂

Thanking you in advance,

Cathy

If you are using the the YAHOO choice from in your ipod (was set up choosing yahoo as the email type, rather than OTHER and manuall entered)
Then yes, it should be all auto push updated from yahoo's end, through apple.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@dsharp
@rambit.

PLEASE take a look at the 3rd post in this thread.

This is CONFIRMED as legit, from a rogers representitive.

THIS IS NOT A SCAM - and IS manditory for rogers as well.

Rogers own site on the changes:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/emaildownload?setLanguage=en

Many other sites, are also reporting, that the change to yahoo as a whole, is forcing it.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/14/4838878/yahoo-mail-is-switching-to-default-ssl-encryption

Rogers email.. while partially segregated, and rogers has SOME control over it.. IS yahoo hosted email, in the end.

I do agree.. the EMAIL that was sent out.. (the one image showed in the 3rd post) was from yahoo.. but did go to rogers email addresses as well.
This could be a little confusing to some... and there should have been a SPECIFIC rogers branded one as well.

It doesnt make it any less correct though.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Tell me why Yahoo Customer Care took the necessary action then, indicating it was against THEIR TOS.  Sounds to me from the reply I got they had a problem with it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is a Likely just a blanket email sent out to anyone who does report like that.

They use similar ones in other parts of the industry as well.  Though sometimes worded better.
(i help out in the WoW CS user section often, and they have pretty much the EXACT type of reply, for any time you submit a player complaint)

Pretty much comed down to.. IF the account in question, violated anything as per the ToU, they would be punshed accordingly.  IF there was nothing wrong done, nothing would be done.   But no matter what was/wasnt done, they wont tell you what actions were taken on another account.

Now... its not to say.. there MIGHT be false phishing ones out there as well... that people are putting in bad links to OTHER sites (asking you to enter say your login info there, etc).

The headers you posted.. they were sent from yahoo from all the IPS/Addresses.. thats not to say, could be from a 'spam' address on yaho.  But wasnt sent from 'external' say from china or something.

But in general.. the change to forced SSL... IS LEGIT.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well, as was previously mentioned, embedding URL's into an image is generally not the best way to convince me this wasn't spam or a means to distribute malware and that's very commonly used to trick unsuspecting receipients.  Still can't figure out why they chose to originally sent this out to a secondary account I rarely use rather than to my primary address.

Rogers could have handled this better, perhaps with a letter.  They seem to have no problem sending snail mail to announce promotions etc.  Whether the reply was a canned response they still indicated it was a violation of their terms of service.  For now I'll wait on the response I get from the one I reported this morning and I'll post the contents here.