cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Avid-
I Plan to Stick Around

Got a phishy looking email; appears to be from "Rogers Yahoo Hi-Speed Internet <rogersyahoo@service.yahoo-email.com>". 

Anyone else get this?  IS THIS FOR REAL?  I am very skeptical due to having to click for instructions.  Please advise.

Message states:

"Dear Rogers Yahoo member,

We are currently in the process of making some changes to better protect your email and personal information. These changes require updates to Rogers Yahoo Mail settings in your mail program (MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Mac Mail, etc.) on all your computers and other devices.

Please click here for simple instructions on how to make the necessary changes to settings in your mail program.

Completing this process will help ensure that your email service continues without interruption.

Thank you,
Rogers Yahoo Mail Team"

***edited labels***

97 REPLIES 97

Re: EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

I agree Rogers needs to do its homework a lot better.  The only Mac option on the Rogers dropdown list is "Mac Mail on OS 10.7.3 Lion".  The bulk of users are either on OS Mavericks (10.9) or Mountain Lion (10.8), which have a more advanced version of Apple Mail.

I use Outlook for Mac 2011, which is not even mentioned nor is Office 365 for those Windows/Mac users that have migrated to Office in the cloud.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
SSL, SMTP, POP, OS this OS that. I hope Rogers realizes that there many technologically illiterate people, especially in the senior age group who will be completely lost trying to follow their instructions. That is assuming they don't just garbage that e mail. I and most of my friends among them. .

If I had not seen this thread I would automatically trash that email assuming it was spam.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Likely if someone is that confused with all that stuff, unless they had someone set up their email for them, likely doesn't have the knowledge/ability to set it up in the first place.

A reason why many just use the webmail now, one login, no setup, and not effected by the changes.
(Though webmail changes recently, that's a whole other ball game)

jays77

@:Gdkitty wrote:
Likely if someone is that confused with all that stuff, unless they had someone set up their email for them, likely doesn't have the knowledge/ability to set it up in the first place.

A reason why many just use the webmail now, one login, no setup, and not effected by the changes.
(Though webmail changes recently, that's a whole other ball game)

Right.  We (I) do have someone to set things up for us.  Usually one of our children or grandchildren oblige after they go through the eye-rolling , sighing and procrastination routine.   Smiley Frustrated

jays77:

You could even post questions here when the time comes. It's pretty straight forward, but easy for me to say. BTW: I'm in my 70's but have been involved with technology all my adult life. If you need help, you can contact me in a private message rather than in the forum. Would be happy to help.

JSBPhoto
I've Been Around

This is a case study in how NOT to implement changes.  Bad instructions.  I use Outlook 2013 and it is apparently not supported.

POP3 SSL 995 works, but SMTP 465 does not work.  I let if at SMTP 25 which was already in use.

If I can't send email once the transition period is over, I will seriously consider dumping Rogers.

@JSBPhoto wrote:

This is a case study in how NOT to implement changes.  Bad instructions.  I use Outlook 2013 and it is apparently not supported.

POP3 SSL 995 works, but SMTP 465 does not work.  I let if at SMTP 25 which was already in use.

If I can't send email once the transition period is over, I will seriously consider dumping Rogers.

@ @ JSBPhoto

Outlook 2013 is 100% supported.  ANY email client is supported.

Unfortunately.. step by step instructions for how to change it for 2013 are not there... the page needs some serious updating/adding of things for people not familiar.

BUT.. the port settings, do work.  Changed my wifes outlook 2007 just now, as well as created a new outlook 2013 for my email just to test there as well.

One thing that you need to make sure, is that SSL is set ON for the outgoing server as well as the incomming.  Its a different checkbox/dropdown than the SSL for the incomming.

If this is not enabled, the 465 port will not work (is a SSL only port).

But it works fine as long as its enbaled.

Scouter_Mike
I've Been Around

I got this tech support note, as well.  As an IT Services Management Professional, I must point out that this situation has been very poorly handled by Rogers-Yahoo tech support.  Imbedding a link in an email is common and well-known tactic of Phishing hackers and malware spoofs and creates an atmoshpere of mistrust.  Banks and other commercial organiza\tions advise their clients to disregard similar emails and to even report such to their netwrok support/security staff.  A better approach would have been to prompt the Client to connect to the Rogers Tech support site, independent of the emai.  The approach used for this action has been very unprofessional. They could have/should have done better!

I do agree with Scouter_mike.

I DID see when i loged into my wifes email, from the yahoo site, on a mobile browser... it DID have a notice at the top of the page about the change, etc..
Sort of pointless.. since thats the WEB version of the site..
But that sort of prompting, is more like what Scouter_mike was saying..

Even on an email.. saying to please login to your MYROGERS.. and the prompt being there, etc.

Problem is, that likely alot of people go "oh look a rogers email... DELETE" without reading it period most of the time 😛

BluPuk
I Plan to Stick Around

OK, I tried the settings recommended by Rogers and guess what? They don't work. I must admit, I am not surprised.

I guess I will have to call them. Smiley Mad

Richw1
I've Been Here Awhile
@gdkitty

The note from Rogers said clearly that if your email client didn't appear on the drop down that it was not supported. So although they mention Thunderbird in the note it is not supported. I'm not naive enough to be bothered but some less technical folk may be concerned and confused.

Rogers has enough resources to check and confirm settings for most if not all clients and publish a document with screen shots for each client. They don't have to "support" them officially. Very poor form IMO.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I think that may be where the difference is.
Officially supported, vs will work is two VERRY different things.... That may be where the confusion may be coming from.

I do agree they easily could put more documentation up.

@blupuk
And anyone else that reads this.

YES, the settings do work.  I have changed/edited them on two clients, and set up two brand new setups with the account settings, and it has worked in all cases.

INCOMMING server, SSL must be enabled.  (this could be a checkbox, dropdown, etc)  Port must be set to 995

OUTGOING server, port setting must be 465.  Big thing here, you must ALSO select SSL for the outgoing.  This may be a checkbox.. might be a dropdown (i  know 2013 was this way).

Most people that are having OUTGOING server issues, make sure the SSL is selected as well as the port #

billybob
I've Been Here Awhile

Anybody care to explain how to implement the settings in Eudora 6+?

Rogers used to support Eudora but not for several years now.

TIA

Eudora is still around?  Wow.. i havent used that since way back in the like windows 95 days.  Good to hear! 🙂

Just installed it quickly.. v 6.X.X

Ugg..i have to say.. what a clumsy interface 😞  The only options i could find for SSL under there.. is one to choose that REQUIRED ALTERNATIVE PORT.... ok... but it doesnt let me enter that port #.
Fails in retreiving messages.

May have to contact Eudora.. 😞  since it not quite the standard config.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm that the Rogers settings work in Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2003. Their screen caps are wrong for 2010, but the port numbers work. I've now changed 7 pc's, for a total of something over 30 email addresses, and they all work.

It is frustrating, though, that Rogers couldn't get their screen caps right, and apparently not attempted to fix that in light of this discussion.

gwilki
I Plan to Stick Around

Billbob: this link may help you to change the port settings in Eudora. I want to emphasize that I've never used Eudora. I don't have it installed to verify the instructions in the link that I'm providing, and I certainly don't work for Rogers. I saw your post and figured that I would try to help out.

Here is the link

http://www.24hourwebhostingsupport.com/email/check/eudora6.2.5.6/ports.php

StanNewmarket
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know much about Eudora, but I have been using a similarly ancient email program for the past 16 years: Agent Forte 1.93. While some people keep a diary, my diary is 16 years of email.  I am not at all impressed with the Yahoo effort to enforce SSL connections. I have never experienced a security problem in 16 years, and fail to envision a need for extra security. Yahoo should at least offer an option!!

The problem with Agent 1.93 is that is doesn't have SSL options; so I installed STunnel 4.56 which acts as an SSL tunnel. I didn't have to change ANY settings on the mail reader. I just had to tell STunnel where to intercept and re-direct my email ports as already configured on Agent.

This is the STunnel configuration I used:

STunnel.conf

# GLOBAL OPTIONS

client = yes

output = stunnel.log

debug=7

taskbar=yes

;debug has been set to debug=7 because the whole effort worked so seamlessly and

; incident-free, that I wasn't sure if it was even working, or just using the old Agent

; assigned ports.

;debug=7 accompanied by an output log file confirmed that everything was

;working as expected.  

# SERVICE-LEVEL OPTIONS

[pop3]

client=yes

delay=yes

accept  = 127.0.0.1:110

connect = pop.broadband.rogers.com:995

[smtp] client=yes

delay=yes

accept  = 127.0.0.1:25

connect = smtp.broadband.rogers.com:465

;end of STunnel conf file

STunnel.log file:

2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: No limit detected for the number of clients
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG5[7040:5252]: stunnel 4.56 on x86-pc-msvc-1500 platform
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG5[7040:5252]: Compiled/running with OpenSSL 1.0.1e-fips 11 Feb 2013
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG5[7040:5252]: Threading:WIN32 Sockets:SELECT,IPv6 SSL:ENGINE,OCSP,FIPS
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG5[7040:5252]: Reading configuration from file stunnel.conf
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG5[7040:5252]: FIPS mode is enabled
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Compression not enabled
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Snagged 64 random bytes from C:/.rnd
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Wrote 1024 new random bytes to C:/.rnd
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: PRNG seeded successfully
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG6[7040:5252]: Initializing service [pop3]
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Certificate: stunnel.pem
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Certificate loaded
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Key file: stunnel.pem
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Private key loaded
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: SSL options set: 0x01000004
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG6[7040:5252]: Initializing service [smtp]
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Certificate: stunnel.pem
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Certificate loaded
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Key file: stunnel.pem
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Private key loaded
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: SSL options set: 0x01000004
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG5[7040:5252]: Configuration successful
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Service [pop3] (FD=252) bound to 127.0.0.1:110
2013.12.30 15:26:18 LOG7[7040:5252]: Service [smtp] (FD=388) bound to 127.0.0.1:25

The SERVICE-LEVEL OPTIONS contained a formatting glitch. Should display smtp

[smtp]

client=yes (on a new line)

# SERVICE-LEVEL OPTIONS

[pop3]

client=yes

delay=yes

accept  = 127.0.0.1:110

connect = pop.broadband.rogers.com:995

[smtp]

client=yes

delay=yes

accept  = 127.0.0.1:25

connect = smtp.broadband.rogers.com:465

pmcsplaza

I added 'from PC' because the SSL bit of course wouldn't apply to webmail.

Most times it works fine but quite often it simply jams up and I get a popup saying can't connect to server.

Then it goes after two or three attempts.  Very annoying because I have to wait until the email client unjams before trying again.

I've setup the email client exactly as they instructed.   Anyone else seeing this?

This happens in Incredimail Premium and in Windows Mail in Vista, and in IM in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 too.so it would appear their outgoing servers are dodgy to say the least.   No trouble incoming at all.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto

dsharp
I Plan to Stick Around

can someone please report this officially as a scam email and make it sticky on this thread. There is a couple threads like this on this forum, and respected users are conflicting information by in one saying its a legitamate email, and in others saying its a scam.Confusing people.

Senior citizens and none techy users don't know what headers are, or that yahoo-email.com isn't actually rogers.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats