EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

Got a phishy looking email; appears to be from "Rogers Yahoo Hi-Speed Internet <rogersyahoo@service.yahoo-email.com>". 

Anyone else get this?  IS THIS FOR REAL?  I am very skeptical due to having to click for instructions.  Please advise.

Message states:

"Dear Rogers Yahoo member,

We are currently in the process of making some changes to better protect your email and personal information. These changes require updates to Rogers Yahoo Mail settings in your mail program (MS Outlook, Outlook Express, Mac Mail, etc.) on all your computers and other devices.

Please click here for simple instructions on how to make the necessary changes to settings in your mail program.

Completing this process will help ensure that your email service continues without interruption.

Thank you,
Rogers Yahoo Mail Team"

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: EMail message - Action required: Important changes to your email service

I did look into this today and it is legit.
It does take you to a Rogers page for the instructions.

This only effects users using a 3rd party program to access their email and does not effect if you only use webmail

Community Manager (Retired) RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

Updating Your Rogers Yahoo Email! Account

Confirming what Gdkitty posted above.  

Take a look at this link for more info:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/emaildownload?setLanguage=en

And here's a screenshot of the email that folks should have received.

ScreenShot003 (2).jpg

I Plan to Stick Around

RogersMargaret:

Hold that thought and answer me this:

When I click on that link, I get a page where I select my mail program and my operating system. Problem is, mine isn't there. My OS is Mac 10.9.1

So what do I do? My mail still works fine so I see no reason to change any settings - especially considering that I have no clue what to put in some of the boxes that pop up. Have to say that I (and likely thousands of others too) am not impressed with the help we get from Rogers.....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Until the cutoff..no, you dont have to change it.  After the cuttoff (which is Jan sometime?).. you wont be able to get mail, unless you make the changes.

I went through this with another user, in another thread.

While your OS is not exactly the same, the instructions under the one mac version listed there, SHOULD be the same. (may visually look slightly different... but the same steps, going into preferences, account info, etc.
It shows step by step, which boxes where to change what, what checkboxes to check, etc.

Though i agree.. they need a few more updated things there for the mac setup (or at least to say This to that OS)... the PC setup, windows mail is widows mail.. no matter if you are on XP or 8.

I'm an Advisor

There's one small problem with the instructions for Outlook 2007. There is no check box for This server requires an encrypted connection for the SMTP server as shown in the example. Instead, there's a drop down box saying Use the following type of encrypted connection. You need to click on the drop down and select SSL. A minor point, but it may cause confusion for some users.

I Plan to Stick Around

The other issue that I see with it is the pop and smtp server names. For users of Outlook 2003, they show them as pop.broadband.rogers.com and smtp.broadband.rogers.com. For users of Outlook 2010, they show them as pop.mail. yahoo.ca and smtp.mail.yahoo.ca.

I don't understand why the mail servers should depend on the email client being used.

I have 2003 on one older pc and 2010 on my primary pc. Both right now are using the broadband.rogers.com servers. Is Rogers saying that, effective with this change in SSL, I need to change only the 2010 machine to mail.yahoo.ca servers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No, you shouldnt have to.

Likely, that is just a clerical error when they were creating the documents.

Although.. it doesnt really matter, which one you use.. weither the rogers ones, or the yahoo ones, both will connect in the same way and be able to retreive the mail.

EG: for imap.. there IS NO rogers imap server.. it always has been the yahoo one.. but works perfectly fine.

I Plan to Stick Around

I got through to rogers support and they confirmed that, in fact, the info in the announcement of the SSL changes is wrong. The correct servers are the broadband.rogers.com ones.

I Plan to Stick Around

Tks, gdkitty. We were typing at the same time.