Download speeds drop 40% with Asus router and Hitron CGN3 modem combo

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xdj
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Download speeds drop 40% with Asus router and Hitron CGN3 modem combo

Data,

My PC is the only device that is wired to the network!

I use the R66U for the wireless portion of my home network since it has a stronger signal than the CGN3 and I like the traffic montoring, parent controls and a few other features in the R66U.

To be completely clear, you would like me to flash my router with the most recent verion of firmware from  Asus. rather than Merlin's?

Just checking...

X

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, reflash the N66U back to the latest consumer firmware version available from Asus.  Once complete, turn off IPV6 and ensure that the MTU and MRU are set for 1500.  Reboot the N66U and then run speedchecks, wired and wireless to establish a performance baseline that you can compare to the Merlin firmware load.  The results will help determine whether you want to keep either the Asus baseline firmware or Merlin firmware loaded.  You may have run into an unanticipated issue with the Merlin firmware that doesn't show up with lower download rates.  Returning to the Asus firmware, if only for testing, is the only way to determine what the baseline performance really looks like.

Xdj
I Plan to Stick Around

Check...

Makes sense...

Here goes nothing....I'll keep you posted!

I'll have to wait until my wife finishes watching the world cup streaming to her iMac in the Kitchen.

I'll keep you posted....

Thanks!

Cheers,

X

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would follow going to stock, just to test at least.

The other user on here using the ddwrt versions ran into issues getting the full amounts and were fixed by going back to stock.

Weither this is fully the firmware at fault or a combo of it with the cgn3, who knows.

I am on the stock firmware on the N66U as on the time I got it 3 + months ago, using as an AP only off the cgn3 and have no wireless issues or drops. I can check the ver later.
(I regularily stream from my media server to wireless on tv and phone, as well as game wireless on a laptop, and hasn't droped on my yet)

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at this post: 

http://blog.ittoby.com/2013/01/setup-and-tweak-your-new-asus-rt-ac66u.html

Here's an interesting line from that post: 

Note 1: If you enable "Tools->Other Settings->Enable advanced (per IP) monitoring" it will disable hardware acceleration. While you most likely won't notice this unless you've got an internet connection approaching 100Mbit, be aware that you may loose some performance for that functionality.

Any relevance to the situation?

There is also the Hardware Acceleration enable/disable which should be enabled.

View solution in original post

Xdj
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Gdkitty for your input!

I'll keep you posted on my progress...

Cheers,

X

Xdj
I Plan to Stick Around

Woohooo!!!

That did it!

Flashed to Asus' latest firmware and the issue of limited download speed is fixed. I'm now getting 200Mbps down and 17 Mbps up!

Thank you all for your help...Now I'll have to check to see if the original issue with my wireless consistanly dropping with the Asus firmware is fixed or I'm stuck with another problem!

But for now, my wired conection is smoking!!! (I had 35down and 3 up before)

Wireless can wait till tomorrow...

Thanks again peeps

Cheers and enjoy your Canada Day celebrations,

X

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

lol.  Nice to see success.  Don't forget that you can park the N66U anywhere in the house provided that your house is not terrilby old, I would say within the last 15 to 20 years.  If you have structured wiring installed in the house, that consists of a bundle that usually contains 2 RG6 cables for satellite or cable and 2 Cat 5e ethernet cables for internet and phone.  So you can get creative and park the N66U elsewhere if signal power is an issue for wireless devices.

If you go back to the Merlin firmware consider the issue with the advanced monitoring and see if disabling it solves the issue.

Have a look at my post here concerning the Structured Wiring if you want to consider moving the N66U somewhere's else in the house:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/167...

Xdj
I Plan to Stick Around

Since flashing to the latest stock Asus firmware, my original issue from last year has reared its ugly head. That is, the wireless signal dropping all the time!

My wife is trying to stream a radio station through her iMac in the kitchen and the signal is constantly dropping! And yet, yesturday before flashing the firmware back to Asus from Merlin, she was streaming CBC's World Cup video footage perfectly!

Darn, I dislike wireless

I can't win...

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you streaming on a 2.4 or 5 Gghz connection.  If you don't have it already, consider loading inSSider, which is a wifi monitoring application.  That will tell you what your signal strength is, compared to other networks around your house and also let you know how many networks are overlapping yours.  Maybe all you need is a channel change.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

This is a freebie version.  The newer version also handles 802.11ac, but it has gone to a pay version.  I haven't bought it yet, but it on my list of things to do.

And....do you have the ability to move the N66U to another location in the house, which would help in terms of wifi signal strength?