Downgrade nextbox 2.0 to old IPG

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sepandee
I Plan to Stick Around

Downgrade nextbox 2.0 to old IPG

Hi,

I've given my new Nextbox 2.0 a few months, thinking I'll get used to the lag and slow response. Nope, not at all. So I just called Rogers and asked what can be done. I was hoping I would get an offer for a Nextbox 3.0 (I'm getting mine 2.0 for free for a year), but the 3.0 never came into discussion. Instead, the rep told me I can always downgrade to the older IPG.

My question is, is the older IPG more responsive than the newer firmware? Also, what functionalities do I lose?

Thanks 🙂

***Edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Downgrade nextbox 2.0 to old IPG

I didnt think you COULD downgrade still to the old guide... i could be wrong though.

If you have had an older rogers box before the NB2.. that is the guide you would get.

It is more responsive.. but its more of an SD guide..

You cant get the weather app on screen, no whole home PVR, etc.

If they were to be able to switch your promo for the NB3.. you would likely have to pay the difference.. as the rental prices for the, are $15 vs 17.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@sepandee wrote:

Hi,

I've given my new Nextbox 2.0 a few months, thinking I'll get used to the lag and slow response. Nope, not at all. So I just called Rogers and asked what can be done. I was hoping I would get an offer for a Nextbox 3.0 (I'm getting mine 2.0 for free for a year), but the 3.0 never came into discussion. Instead, the rep told me I can always downgrade to the older IPG.

My question is, is the older IPG more responsive than the newer firmware? Also, what functionalities do I lose?

Thanks 🙂

I didn't think they were downgrading anybody to SARA anymore....oh well.

SARA will run much faster than the enhanced guide as its much less resource intensive, so you'll gain speed.

You'll lose most of the advanced features of Nextbox, like the recommendations app, the 'new' style VOD experience, and the ability to customise the guide (i.e. hiding unsubscribed channels).

sepandee
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks (both of you).

Yeah, I know about retention. That's how I got the Netbox 2.0 for free (along with some other goodies). Been with them for more than a decade and a half though. BUt if they could switch this crappy box for the newer version without the added cost, then that would be great.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A you can do it call them and ask.

The nb3 is a much better box though.