Does a PVR need a hard drive to record?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Does a PVR need a hard drive to record?

Which box it this.. the sa8300??

I BELEIVE it would... i think i used it ONCE for like a camcorder.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello diveman1980

Gdkitty is correct. It should work. I haven't tested it but i am sure others have and Gdkitty might have as well.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. been a while.. 3+ years since i had an 8300. 😛

If we can get some confirmation on the model, maybe someone with the same can test or has experience at least with it 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not completely sure what it is that you are describing. A separate stand-alone video recorder that is not a Rogers authorized device (or whatever TV provider you have) will not be able to tune or record any of the digital cable channels by itself. If it has an analog cable tuner, it may be able to record analog cable channels if you directly connect the Rogers cable to it. To record a digital channel, and probably only in standard definition, you would need to have a working Rogers digital cable box and make sure there is some kind of output connection on it so that you can connect it to an input of your stand-alone recorder so that you can see the picture and hear the sound. And then it would only be able to record the channel that the digital cable box is set to and left powered on. I think for a computer, you probably need to get a USB tuner device, and it would work in a similar way as I described for a stand-alone video recorder.

Some cable companies now have tuner/PVR boxes that do not have their own hard drive, but require you to get a separate hard drive that you plug into a USB port before it will function as a PVR.

There are also tuner/PVR devices for tuning and recording the freely available over-the-air High Definition broadcast stations (like the ones that broadcast from the CN Tower if you're in the Toronto area -- CFTO, CBLT, CityTV Toronto, Global Toronto, etc.) from an antenna input, and I believe most or all of them may now similarly require you to also connect a separate hard drive to a USB port before they will function as a PVR. I saw a Homeworx brand one on a shelf recently at a place like Futureshop or Best Buy, I think for about $70 or $80, and there is a more expensive ($280) two tuner PHD-VRX2 one I've seen advertised on the internet. But as far as I know these can not be used to tune and directly record digital cable, only whatever over-the-air HD channels you may be able to receive with an antenna.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You are correct.

Any sort of 3rd party tuner like you describe... HDhomerun, and many others.. while they can decode a DIGITAL signal, like digital OTA.. they cant do an encrypted one.
(well.. they cant do an encrypted one in canada.. some can in the US with cablecard.. but canada does not use that).

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well that's my plan is to just connect it via the cable box i already have. Also gonna be using it for my Nintendo Wii.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should work fine.. Generally.

Output from the cable box, should work.. you will just have to do all tuning, etc from the cable box.. the DVR wont be able to do that part.
Most regular TV stuff you should be OK with... LIKELY wouldnt work off something thats PPV or RoD though..

All depends on the signal being sent from the cable box.. or other device. 
Even back with the VCRs some tapes (usually ones that are store bought movies) send a bit of copy protection code, which would pretty much, when the 'recording' device received it, was set to scrabmle..

I had mixed results when i tried it with my older DVR.