Does Rogers unlock phones?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Does Rogers unlock phones?

I was wondering if rogers will unlock phone no long on contract.

I have an iphone 3G and a galaxy captivate that i want to have permanently unlocked. I am btw aware of the jailbreak soft unlock provided on the iphone 3g.

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Does Rogers unlock phones?

You're right Meowmix, there are a lot of services online for unlock codes. horizonwirelessonline is a great resource and the other one mentioned above are reliable also.
If my answer has helped, please click like or solved if it solved the problem.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

They have to unlock it by law, but they charge you 50$ for this "service".
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@MicNoe wrote:

I was wondering if rogers will unlock phone no long on contract.

I have an iphone 3G and a galaxy captivate that i want to have permanently unlocked. I am btw aware of the jailbreak soft unlock provided on the iphone 3g.

Just go to www.cellunlocker.net, see if you can find the unlock codes for your phones there. 

The 3G is there, not sure if the Captivate is available. 

I just unlocked a Blackberry a couple days ago, got the unlock codes instantly. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers will ONLY unlock your phone if you follow the this. 1. You need to buy the phone full price (outright) in order to get the unlocking done by rogers. 2. You need to be either done your 3 year term contract OR are near the end of the contract for rogers to UNLOCK your device. Here is more info from the Toronto star.

* On Monday, Rogers quietly put the policy into effect. A spokesperson said the company started looking into making the change in early 2010.

Customers can pay $50 to have their phone unlocked if their contract commitment period has expired — allowing them to switch to another carrier — or if they have paid the full unsubsidized cost for their handset.

Kaminer noted that the more serious impediment to competition is the multi-year contracts and the early termination fees that keep customers bound to the incumbent carriers.

“The fact is that Canadian carriers have a 36-month hold on customers,” said Kaminer.* http://www.thestar.com/iphone/business/companies/rogers/article/908379--rogers-will-unlock-phones-fo...
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I have done two hardware upgrades so they are no longer on contract. I would think they are eligible for unlock then?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Yes but the policy is you stay with the same phone for the 3 years. This is what i have heard. I suggest you call Rogers & speak to them for more info about it.

Also did you buy both phones outright? Meaning you paid full price for them & NOT on a sub price.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

That really would not help. He can get his Samsung Captivate unlocked for about $5 online. The iPhone 3G would need more digging but from what i have seen you are able to unlock that as well..
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You're right Meowmix, there are a lot of services online for unlock codes. horizonwirelessonline is a great resource and the other one mentioned above are reliable also.
If my answer has helped, please click like or solved if it solved the problem.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

hi codes are the best method to unlock your samsung  mobile .to purchase the codes visit here they ask the imei number of the mobile .finally they will send you the codes to unlock your mobile along with the instruction about how to use the codes in your mobile.

you can unlock your iphone..there are many software available to unlock iphone and my friend unlocked it by remote unlocking..there are many online providers who provide the service..one of my friend got unlocked his iphone from onlinegsmunlock.com by remote unlock..and here is the instructions
1. Wait for an email saying your phone has been activated or remotely unlocked.
2. Install the latest version of iTunes.
3. Make sure your Apple iPhone phone software is updated to the latest version
using the iTunes software.
4. Connect your Apple iPhone to iTunes with a NOT ACCEPTED SIM card.
5. Wait until iTunes detects your Apple iPhone.
6. Disconnect your Apple iPhone and reconnect it after 10 seconds.
7. Your Apple iPhone is now unlocked.
and the important thing remote unlocking is available for some country and network providers only so if you are interested you can try from them before that see whether remote unlocking is available for your country and provider..

**edited for content**