cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Rogers unlock phones?

MicNoe
I Plan to Stick Around

I was wondering if rogers will unlock phone no long on contract.

I have an iphone 3G and a galaxy captivate that i want to have permanently unlocked. I am btw aware of the jailbreak soft unlock provided on the iphone 3g.

******* Edit labels ********

68 REPLIES 68

Re: Does Rogers unlock phones?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @GibMcFragger

Or that too! Just be careful and check the ratings and reviews before hand!

I'm not entirely against it but just because of the fact that it is not legit you don't know who you are giving your $5 to, for starters. Second, it raises costs for providers who must build these losses into their prices. Not to mention, who is going to take your complaint if it doesn't work?

Anyway, it's just easier to buy an unlocked phone outright and save all the hassle from the get go.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Face it. Rogers will unlock a phone for $50 because the CRTC says they HAVE to. It's the law and all carriers have colluded to charge the same price. The service takes seconds to perform and the $50 is pure profit, basically a deterrent for people wishing to leave Rogers after their contract is done and the phone paid for. Because of this gouging, there are third party services that claim they can do it for less. But you take your chances with these. Obviously, it makes no sense to unlock a $50 phone, but it might to unlock a $500 phone.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Rebound

I have unlocked my devices on many sites & they have complaints section if needed or a number to call. Again as i said you have to make sure you read the reviews & see the rating before doing so.

If someone has $800 to buy a device outright that's great but many don't. So they choice to go with a 2yr term & have it unlocked after.

If you're silly enough to get an $800 phone whether it's on a tab or outright, that's your lookout. There are plenty of cheaper phones that work perfectly well. The point is that when you purchase a phone from a carrier on a 2 year tab, the carrier takes all the risk and charges no interest on what is effectively a loan with an installment plan. They cover some of that risk with the unlock fee. Complaining about that or calling it a rip off is like complaining when you have to pay a deposit due to bad credit.

How often do you suppose that it occurs that a person gets a new expensive phone on a tab then gets the phone unlocked and sells it online to someone in China or somewhere else the IMEI blacklist cannot be enforced? All those costs must be accounted for. If people want lower prices for their services they should quit crying about how much their phones cost and quit trying to rip off their carriers.

If that sounds a bit self-righteous, it's because it is. I'm ok with that. I paid $180 for my great Moto G 2nd gen, in full, unlocked. Thanks to Rogers Open Enrollment, I was even able to get device protection despite it being a non-Rogers phone. Win-Win. And since I didn't get a phone on a tab, my plan is $20 cheaper than if I got the latest i-thing. I say if you want to take out an $800 no-interest loan with a wireless company, fill your boots, but don't complain after if there's an extra burden attached to the privilege.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Rebound

Again everyone is different & won't go how you went about it. Not everyone wants a $150 phone . They want a better one per say. The more expensive ones are locked to the carriers. Only the cheaper low end devices are unlocked for PayGO.

Again we are all giving great answers here for the OP & other users in need! 🙂
Topic Stats