Does Rogers Lumia 1020 work in Europe/Finland?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Does Rogers Lumia 1020 work in Europe/Finland?

I have yellow! Nokia Lumia 1020, purchased in October 2013 from Rogers, and locked in to Rogers network. Great phone and fantastic camera IMO...

Now, first, does this phone work at all in Europe (say using my current Rogers GSM chip, simply roaming), and in Finland in particular? In other words, is it a 'world' phone as they used to call such devices way back when, that is, does my Lumia 1020 support the whatever GSM frequencies and protocols they have in Europe/Finland?

Secondly, if I get this phone unlocked at the Rogers store, and get a new GSM chip in Finland, does it work? I assume/hope the answer to the latter is immediately yes if the answer to the former is yes...

Thanks in advance,

Seppo

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Does Rogers Lumia 1020 work in Europe/Finland?

Seppo,

You basically have two options.

1 - Keep your current Rogers SIM and buy an International Minutes package (European) from Rogers. The phone will be able to connect on the local network out there and you'll be able to make phone calls. Meanwhile, I advise you against using the data connection if you can considering the outrageous price. Just disable your data connection when arriving there and use WiFi when available. This is the scenario I use when crossing the Atlantic.

2 - Have your phone unlocked and buy a local SIM and phone plan once accross. This way, you may be able to get a more decent price if your need a cellular data connection. I used to do this long ago but it ended-up being more trouble and not cheaper than having a European roaming package.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If you unlock it, you can get another carrier in it. However you have to make sure the 920 works with their network by looking at their GSM frequencies and LTE network bands. I do not know personally which European carrier works over there but there should be a least one.
Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

make sure you get it unlocked, it will work in Europe but just on 3G or H+, no LTE.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Seppo,

You basically have two options.

1 - Keep your current Rogers SIM and buy an International Minutes package (European) from Rogers. The phone will be able to connect on the local network out there and you'll be able to make phone calls. Meanwhile, I advise you against using the data connection if you can considering the outrageous price. Just disable your data connection when arriving there and use WiFi when available. This is the scenario I use when crossing the Atlantic.

2 - Have your phone unlocked and buy a local SIM and phone plan once accross. This way, you may be able to get a more decent price if your need a cellular data connection. I used to do this long ago but it ended-up being more trouble and not cheaper than having a European roaming package.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you all for your replies.

@cyberknight, exactly. Those are the two options, I did the math, and decided to go with #1, and it worked out great.

I ended up using the phone as is, w/ Rogers' $100 Travel Pack for Europe (50 mins voice, 100MB data for one month). I was able to make calls and check email as needed (any browsing or apps e.g. NYT, FB will eat data like crazy). I was staying at my mother's place, and bought her a wifi router (hooked up to good old DSL line 🙂 ), so at home the phones were not using wireless data at all.

With WP's DataSense (integrated to the OS, so quite accurate) I was able to keep a very close eye on data usage. I ended up using ~40 MB over the wireless during the two weeks. This was basically mostly just checking work email as needed, with some news apps mixed in (NYT, CBC). Datasense also has this nice feature that it limits data usage while roaming so that e.g. email etc only syncs when I sync it manually.

Both my Lumia 1020 and my wife's older Lumia 920 worked w/o a clitch in Finland and Germany (overlay in Frankfurt). So from technical point of view, as an answer to my original question, both phones were good to go.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Seppo,

Sorry I was late 😞

For the phones, they basically have the same hardware (except the camera evidently!).

Also, being penta-band devices, they can attach to a large variety of networks.

I'm glad it worked out fine for you. Enjoy your Windows Phones.