Does Rogers Block websites?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pranav
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Does Rogers Block websites?

same here i am unable to visit this weblink and some of my friends on rogers are unable to visit certan .tv extension websites. but they all work on same device with same malware antivirus using either vpn or cellphone tetheter connection.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pranav wrote:

Hi, I am new to this community and to rogers cble internet as well. as I had been using acanac or rogers resellers. I had no issues accessing any website via them. I switched to Rogers last month and ever since have one or the other issues with them blocking SIP and now blocking certain websites with .tv extension.

I use a third party IPTV service and since last week the links are being blocked.i can access them when using my cellphone and via vpn and work vpn, but not via rogers cable internet. i have create ticket with them and know for sure its rogers blocking these links.

For the SIP.. i am guessing you are using their gateway, and not your own router?

There are settings which need to be enabled for it to properly work.. you need to call in and have rogers enable it.  I beleive its SIP ALG?
@Datalink can possibly help with the details more.

As for the blocking.. i dont think its at much rogers themselves blocking the site usually..
Moreso that the DNS doesnt have entries for it?

Often there have been sites in which someone on a default connection from rogers can not access it.

The DNS server doesnt know how to convert XYZ.tv to an IP address.
A change of the DNS server MIGHT fix it.

As a whole, its not likely a thing of rogers BLOCKING it.. as much as

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I suspect that its more likely that the necessary protocols are not supported by the Hitron modems.  I don't think the SIP ALG is the issue as thats for VOIP devices.  If you were chatting with tech support about this and the CSR didn't attempt to steer you to the pay for service Techxperts when you mentioned IPTV, that probably means that neither they, nor the Techxperts have access to any IPTV settings for the modem.  If "IPTV" is not in their scripts altogether, then I would say that there is no current support for IPTV at all.  All speculation on my part. 

My Asus RT-AC68U has an IPTV section available with numerous settings under the drop down selections.  So, you would need access to a similar capability.  I would say, at the present time you would need to know exactly what settings are required by your IPTV provider along with a router that allows you to achieve those settings.  The modem would end up running in Bridge mode. 

Below is an image from my Asus RT-AC68U IPTV settings.  These are disabled as I don't use IPTV.

IPTV Asus-WRT settings.png

pranav
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

Thank you for the details, I did open case for the websites being blocked with their engineering via tech support and rogers was able to resolve those particular issue. for SIP yes its the SIP ALG protocol on the hitron router which needs to be disabled again for that you need to go to rogers Tech support as they dont share admin access.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Disabling the SIP ALG solved the issues for your IPTV?

pranav
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, 

SIP ALG only helped for VOIP service, however for the IPTV the issue i believe its either the hitron settings which I doubt as rogers would not change it all of a sudden. I believe they have some routing issues internally which are stopping this as it started 5 days ago. Also I did asked some of my friends on rogers to try to reach atleast 4 IPTV urls and they are not reachable from cable network however i can reach them via wind mobile or bell network.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so it appears as if Rogers is blocking access to third party IPTV services.  I would suggest that you and anyone you know who are in the same situation to initiate a complaint with the CRTC.  From the following CRTC page comes the following:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/plaint.htm

Quote:

Prohibited traffic management practices

Unless your service provider has received prior approval from the CRTC, it may not use traffic management practices that do any of the following:

Block the delivery of content to you
    Noticeably degrade time-sensitive Internet traffic
    Slow non-time-sensitive traffic to the extent that it amounts to blocking the content

If you believe that you service provider’s traffic management practices are not compliant with the CRTC policies, we encourage you to contact your provider. If you remain unsatisfied you may write to the CRTC. Please indicate which ITMP your feel has been breached; when the problem occurred and if it is recurring; which software program, or application, has been affected and how; and the steps you have taken to try to resolve the issue, including your provider’s response:

on-line form: Ask a question or make a complaint
    mail: Secretary General, CRTC, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N2
    fax: 819-994-0218
    toll free telephone: 1-877-249-CRTC (2782)
    toll free TTY: 1-877-909-CRTC (2782)

Unquote:

The complaint to the CRTC will force Rogers to provide a response, something more than a ticket which can lay around for days or weeks on end and close without any apparent resolution.  I would also encourage you to speak with your IPTV provider to initiate action from their end, if they haven't done so already.  They shouldn't be too happy with the fact that a good portion of their customers, or potential customers are unable to use their services.  That could potentially cost them a significant amount of revenue. 

CTRC complaints can be initiated here:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/question.htm

munidasa
I've Been Here Awhile

I cannot access cufsaa.org since yesterday. I am with Rogers.  It works from my work and also others with Bell can.

Can Rogers solve this on their side. Or do I have to try another root like Google DNS?? This is very  annoying . 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting.
Normally in these cases.. I would think its a DNS issue.. usually the first culprit.

But i just tried at home, on my rogers connection, with the Google DNS, and it doesnt work either.
So its not a DNS issue.

On my BELL work connection, I am able to get to it..  The page does come up.
BUT, when i get the IP for the cufsaa.org.. i am not able to PING it, etc.

Which is Odd..

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Also tried it with no success and I use OpenDNS.  So, something is up with that address.  You could try sending an email to the email contact listed in the whois data and see what the problem is:

http://whois.domaintools.com/cufsaa.org