Does New Firmware Actaully fix Ping issues?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Does New Firmware Actaully fix Ping issues? - NO - PROVEN READ.

Also, thank you Datalink, GDKitty, and all the others that took the time to realize the issue, and offer suggestions.

This issue is Closed. CGN3 is junk.

I've been a rogers internet client since '98, and been witness to its steady systematic decline the entire time.

Speed is not my concern, Quality of service is. They can no longer provide that. Time for a change.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hopefully you can find somewhere where you are happy.

If you dont like the CGN3.. i would avoid bell.. my experiences setting them up for family/friends.. they are even worse than the CGN3 as a gateway itself.

(and have to deal with PPPoE)

Almost all other 3rd partry providers, do not provide gateways (other than TSI i think supports ONE of them), so you will have to do a setup with your own self provided router.
(which is the same as doing bridged with the CGN3)

Take a look around, ask a TON of questions before you switch.. check other forums for other providers, 3rd party forums, etc.. get all your info before you change anything (wouldnt want to get into something WORSE).

Good luck.

I'm an Advisor

@mikeplumridge wrote:

And is STILL continues ...

After much fuss, here is what i have done on my end.

1) relocated modem (used another power plug on different breaker)

2) replaced all network wires (provided by rogers)  with new cat5e that i made myself  😉 

3) disabled wifi  (no change)

4) called 'Expertech' repeatedly 3 different 'Techs' - none of the even herd of this issue, nor had the ability to duplicate it in thier office.

5) factory defaulted modem ( multiple times)

6) used 4 different computuers individually  ( to rule out an internal problem )

7) Reluctantly Replaced modem as per 'Expertech' (again waited 2 days for firware update - again they ~CLAIM~ they cant force a firmware update on demand) 

😎 no change,  repeated process  above - No change .

My internal ping times to the Modem  ( 192.168.0.1 ) continue to be erratic; therefore cause external fluctuations - when they bump uglies, i lag (10 secs+) or get disconnected from my online gaming.  

BRIDGED MODE you say?      this is an option - HOWEVER the answer to this is 2 fold

1)  this issue will no longer be visable - soo the question remains  .... just cause i cant see it, does it setill exist?   I belive so  .   As stated before, the internal ping time is erratic  - Therefore also effecting the exteral.  By BRIDGING ,  i simply would remove the ability to compare internal with external.

2) i should not have to. I have paid for a service, and for a product; and as a consumer it Should WORK as expected.

As a side note, the local rogers store did say 'If my problems persist, i can call them back and see if they happen to have the older black/red hitron in stock, and swap it out.  (yes my package does support that unit) - however, they said its not likely i will ever see that older model in stock again.

So, my long winded VERIFIED result is 

ROGERS CANNOT SUPPORT THE  ~NEW~ INFERIOR HARDWARE THEY ENDORSE.

It simply is OLD TECH, and CANNOT DO ITS JOB.

DO NOT ~UPGRADE~ TO THIS NEW UNIT IF YOU ARE A GAMER , OR IF YOU REQUIRE PERFORMANCE.

Okay, a couple of things:

1. Why not try bridge mode? Pick up a nice high-end router (I and others around here like the Asus RT-AC68U) from a store with a good return policy and see what happens.

2. This thing is not 'old tech'. It's one of very few 24-channel DOCSIS modems currently shipping; if anything, the problem is that they shipped it (and Rogers deployed it widely) before fixing the bugs.

3.  I can't imagine downgrading to a CGN2 would fix anything. From what I know, the CGN2 in gateway mode is far worse than the CGN3.

I'm an Advisor

@mikeplumridge wrote:

I've been a rogers internet client since '98, and been witness to its steady systematic decline the entire time.

I've been a Rogers Internet customers since summer 1999. 16 years of Rogers at my parents', I've had my own Rogers account since 2005 (after spending a few years in Cogecoland).

Honestly, I think you have selective memory. I kept my dialup account (downgraded to 30 hours) from a local ISP after switching to Rogers in late June 1999, and every month, I used 2-3 hours of dialup while my LanCity modem had no 'block sync' as they called it in those days. Things got better when the LanCity was replaced by a Terayon... but that LanCity should probably have had an "experimental" sticker on top.

Things are nowhere near as bad nowadays. My bridged CGN3 works. My parents' bridged CGN2 works. The gateway mode is unreliable and broken, but hey, in 1998, there weren't any hardware NAT 'routers'. In 1998, people were running two NICs in Win98 machines using Wingate proxy or maybe Sygate NAT, or running IPmasq on Linux; the first time I heard of a consumer hardware NAT router was sometime in 1999. The original Linksys router that subsequently popularized that type of device did not come out until 2000 or 2001.

Yes, the CGN3 is a disappointing device in gateway mode; I will not defend it. But arguing that Rogers Internet has had 'steady systematic decline' since the day of LanCities in 1998 is nonsense.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would have to agree.

I have been a rogers high speed since 1995.. I was in the BETA for rogerswave.

The lancity? Oh god.. the FINS!

We started with the VERY FIRST one.. was only 256 or 512k at the time.. but was insane compared to dialup at the time 😛
(and remember having a win 98 SE system running ICS to share the internet)

While rogers SERVICE itself, has had ups and downs... days with outages.. signal issues, etc.

The MODEMS itself, i generally have had good luck with.  in the last 10 years, i can probably count on my two hands the number of times i have needed to reboot them.

I'm an Advisor

mikeplumridge:

I second the votes for using bridged mode with a decent router. I also have the ASUS RT-AC68U with a CGN3 in bridged mode. My ping times on the router are always <1ms. I'm on the Hybrid 150 plan and get amazing download speeds, sometimes over 200mbps. I think the router is also much more flexible than the CGN3 when it comes to ways it can be set up. I also do a lot of online gaming and have no issues whatsoever. I have set up QoS and port forwarding as required by Steam and the individual games I play.

I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

We started with the VERY FIRST one.. was only 256 or 512k at the time.. but was insane compared to dialup at the time 😛

@I think it was originally 400 kilobits/sec, though by 1999, that had gone up to 3 megabits/sec. Then when @home went bust in late 2001 and Rogers had to scramble to find a new transit provider, it went down to 1.5 (or was it 1.25) megabits/sec. Then speeds have gone back up (way up!) in the subsequent decade...

I'm an Advisor

I still remember the good old days when I had a 1200 baud modem and was ecstatic when the 56kbps ones came out. Smiley LOL

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VivienM wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

@I think it was originally 400 kilobits/sec, though by 1999, that had gone up to 3 megabits/sec. Then when @home went bust in late 2001 and Rogers had to scramble to find a new transit provider, it went down to 1.5 (or was it 1.25) megabits/sec. Then speeds have gone back up (way up!) in the subsequent decade...

I think it was at 400 odd when it went LIVE.
The beta started around 256-300 range.

I was the ENVY of all my friends at the time.. OMG WHAT TYPE OF INTERNET IS THIS!