Does Imessage use data if you are on wifi?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robin5440
I've Been Here Awhile

Does Imessage use data if you are on wifi?

Just wondering if Imessage uses any data if you are on wifi? 

and If I'm not able to use wifi, should I be texting with my text plan since it is unlimited and save myself some data?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Does Imessage use data if you are on wifi?

Welcome to the Community @robin5440Smiley Happy

iMessage is a service that works over the cellular data network as well as Wi-Fi networks.

If you are connected to Wi-Fi, iMessage will be using "Data from the Wi-Fi Connection".

If you are connected to your mobile data, iMessage will be using "Data from the Cellphone Tower (Your Plan)"

If you would like to save data by not using the iMessage service, you will need to temporarily deactivate the service. Keep in mind, you will no longer be able to send "iMessages" and will be sending "Text Messages" only. They are not the same thing.

To do so, follow the steps below.

1. Enter Settings
  2. Scroll down to Messages
  3. Toggle iMessage Off (Green=ON - White/Gray=OFF)

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

RogersAsif

View solution in original post

All Replies
RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Welcome to the Community @robin5440Smiley Happy

iMessage is a service that works over the cellular data network as well as Wi-Fi networks.

If you are connected to Wi-Fi, iMessage will be using "Data from the Wi-Fi Connection".

If you are connected to your mobile data, iMessage will be using "Data from the Cellphone Tower (Your Plan)"

If you would like to save data by not using the iMessage service, you will need to temporarily deactivate the service. Keep in mind, you will no longer be able to send "iMessages" and will be sending "Text Messages" only. They are not the same thing.

To do so, follow the steps below.

1. Enter Settings
  2. Scroll down to Messages
  3. Toggle iMessage Off (Green=ON - White/Gray=OFF)

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

RogersAsif

View solution in original post

robin5440
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for the reply, I have unlimited texting and limited data and didn't realize that imessage uses my data when I'm not on wifi. It therefore would make sense that I don't use Imessage when not on wifi.  It will be interesting to see how much data I can actually save by using my unlimited texting instead of imessage.

RogersAsif
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

No problem @robin5440 ,

You are not the first Smiley Wink, a lot of people were under the impression that iMessage uses your texting plan.

Text communications are measured in tiny kilobytes whereas multimedia (photos and videos) can go up to 5MB. This really depends on your usage. If you would like to see how much data iMessage has used so far, follow these steps for iOS 7+):

1. Enter Settings
  2. Enter Cellular
  3. Scroll to the bottom and Click into System Services
  4. Look for Messaging Services and the amount beside it (ex. MB/GB)

Let us know the outcome! Smiley Happy

RogersAsif

Emlavon
I've Been Around

Is there a setting that allows iMessage while on wifi and switches it to text (SMS) when on cell data, in order to minimize data usage?
gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@Emlavon wrote:
Is there a setting that allows iMessage while on wifi and switches it to text (SMS) when on cell data, in order to minimize data usage?

@Emlavon

No, it's either on or off.