cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to use this Rogers Digital Adapter?

mhabib987
I've Been Around

I currently have an HDTV and an SDTV. The SDTV is connected to a standard definition box (Scientific Atlanta 94) while my HDTV is connected to a high definition box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD). 

I was recently sent a Digital Adapter (DTA50). Do I need to use this?

***Edited labels***

19 REPLIES 19

Re: Do I need to use this Rogers Digital Adapter?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

No you don't. The DTA50 digital adapter is only for TVs with an analog connection. Since you already have digital boxes connected to both of your TVs, you will not need the digital adapter. 

I am not sure why Rogers would send you this, unless you requested it. If you do not need it, I would suggest you return it, since there is a charge by Rogers if it is not returned. 

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor

OK. We have two TVs. One was bought new about three years ago, the other is more than 15 years old and works just as well as the newer one. Both are connected by cable through a VCR/DVD machine. I'm looking at the list of affected channels and I don't watch most of them. the two I do watch are switching over to new channels apparently. As long as I can get those two channels, I don't need a adaptor box. As a matter of fact, weren't we all told for months on end that we would not be affected by the end of analog as long as we were connected to cable? Wasn't that what the CRTC told all of us?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Last I checked, those commericals were about Analog TV Transmissions via ANTENNA being shut down, of course those had nothing to do with this, You dont watch your TV with an antenna, otherwise you would not be on this board.

Cap07
You sure do sound like a Rogers employee. What happened, they cancel your contract?

Cap07

So you don't need the Rogers digital adaptor if you have a new TV? This is beginning to get a wee bit confusing.

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

@Cap07 wrote:

So you don't need the Rogers digital adaptor if you have a new TV? This is beginning to get a wee bit confusing.

It seems that Rogers will flip a switch sometime later this year, and all channels will become digital and encrypted. When this happens, no TV, even the newest and cleverest digital TV, will be able to work on Rogers without a box of some type from Rogers. Same goes for any video recording or transporting device of any type.

It's not just that the signals will all be digital - they will all be encrypted and only a Rogers box will be authorized to decrypt them.

i just said that. why no body listens? its not hard to understand

Cap07

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Brucemartin said:

It's not just that the signals will all be digital - they will all be encrypted and only a Rogers box will be authorized to decrypt them.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks a million. Finally, someone who can explain things clearly!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
this was explained in another post, its just that the person who made this one did not read the other post which explains this very clearly

Brucemartin2010
I Plan to Stick Around

Pauly, I understand your frustration, but it's not really that clear. Given that:

1. Rogers' literature only describes moving their cable service from analog to digital, and

2. The free box that Rogers is offering is only designed to allow Rogers to "transition to an all-digital network, while also providing service to customers who want to view content on analog-only cable-ready TVs", to quote the manufacturer in:

this PDF manual.

Then it's perfectly reasonable to assume that a newer digital-ready TV would work without the need for this digital-to-analog box.

Unfortunately, that's not the case and the real reason why (because Rogers will also encrypt these channels and you'll need the box the decrypt them) is buried where few can find it.

Im not the one you should be complaining to, I am just a poster on here, I never made up these rules, I do not work for rogers either. I'm a consumer. and lastly, I am not frustrated, im just explaining to YOU guys how it works, at one point I was just like you, I knew NOTHING about how digital cable works, someone taught me how it worked and i thank them, now I'm just teaching you guys so maybe one day you will be as knowledgable as me and tell the newbie who posts that he boght a new flatscreen tv, does he need a digital box for it to work and you will reply to him and tell him he will need a box regardless if his tv has a built in ATSC tuner, or NTSC tuner. The rogers box is QAM tuner with encryption keys and will show channels based on your subscribtion package. not hard to understand, satellite dish works the exact same way, so does iptv and fibe tv.

Cap07

Once you have the DTA hooked up, do you still use the TV remote or do you have to use the DTA remote?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, for general channel changes at min, you would need to use the dta remote.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
what if the vendor who made analog head end equiptment stopped making them or jacked the prices way high to an unreasonable level because its old legacy technology thats at the end of life, do u seriously think rogers would want to invest in analog when digital is the way to go? digital is not going way, remember that. analog is at its end of life, actually it was already end of life, we kinda stretched it past its expectancy.

people who are against this are probably the ones who use dollar store splitters to illegaly split cable, and do not want to pay for legitimate service

Analogue
I've Been Here Awhile

@Pauly wrote:

people who are against this are probably the ones who use dollar store splitters to illegaly split cable, and do not want to pay for legitimate service

I am so fed up reading this incorrect statement.  You are accusing people of doing something illegal when that is not the case. In the support section of the rogers.com website it clearly says,

"Customers are allowed to splice cable wiring within their home at their own discretion but Rogers does not support any of those outlets." 

Look it up yourself before insulting innocent people.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hey, watch it buddy. I'm trying to HELP you I am very CLEAR on what it says, also I am AWARE of what people say vs what people do, I've been in a lot of neighbours house, I KNOW that people for a fact split their signal to more than one TV, Now do you know what happens when you use inferior equiptment such as splitters? Yeah probably not, I guess you are not aware of Cable Ingress, read up on it and why Rogers can shut off your cable tv if you are causing signal leakage, also read up on Why its illegal, you wont actually get charged, but it could actually affect cellular signals, the cable wires can act as antennas, now i know your trying to be a smarty pants with that last remark, but please do some research and study before you make a silly remark. Rogers CAN shut someone down, legitimate service also means signal that is properly tuned and shielded to prevent interference, I may not be mr know it all, but i certainly do know more than the average joe about signal leakage and dollar store splitters than you might know. so please take my advice and study this before you remark about it being acceptable according to their policy, dont forget, you also need to check industry canada's policy on there, i dont see you quoting their statements???

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
@Analogue you are correct and I am sorry. I was just going by what I remembered to be the case. I remember many years ago Rogers driving around and testing for signal leaks and coming into people's homes and checking for splitters and such. I guess over the years they may have found this to not be worth their while and changed policies.

I do notice in the quoted section that you can still pay for extra outlets and once the switch to digital is complete you will have to.

"Customers are allowed to splice cable wiring within their home at their own discretion but Rogers does not support any of those outlets.

In order to be eligible for more than one Digital Adapter on additional outlets, analog and digital customers can sign up for extra outlets for $6.99 per month. Spliced outlets will no longer receive the impacted channels once the transition is complete, so customers wishing to continue to receive all of their current channels on these outlets should sign up for extra outlets and ask to be provided with a Digital Adapter. The extra outlets fee provides you with a signal for up to four TVs in your house. If you have more than four TVs, there may be additional fees necessary in order to ensure the cable signals are optimal."

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
rogers still does check for signal leakage and my neighbour seems to be a repeat offender, its gotten to the point where the cell tower near our neighbourhood has been affected on the 800 mhz band, thats because cable tv also carries up to 800 mhz .

Signal leakage may not be a problem in your area, and yes with the move to digital, its less common. anyways hope this helps

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So lets re phrase it.

While its not ILLEGAL to split it that way.. its not supported, and, and technicaly you are not paying for it.

Even prior to the digital stuff comming out.. there was a point, where they switched over to you can have, i think it was 3 outlets per household.. beyond that, you had to pay for more (for analog).
Does this mean you couldnt split it more and just do it yourself? No, and many people, incuding my parrents place did.

But one thing to remember.. you always do all this at your own risk.   And it can effect your tech calls if you have someone out.
If you have someone out to the house, due to a signal issue, etc.  IF the cause of the signal problem, was splitters, etc that were put in place NOT by a rogers technician, they are allowed to CHARGE you $50 for the tech call.  Otherwise, its free.

So for me.. i pay for the outlets i need (luckily only 3, which is covered with the VIP), and i can get a tech out as many times as i want and let them change and fix stuff as needed.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation