Do I need to use this Rogers Digital Adapter?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Do I need to use this Rogers Digital Adapter?

I currently have an HDTV and an SDTV. The SDTV is connected to a standard definition box (Scientific Atlanta 94) while my HDTV is connected to a high definition box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD). 

I was recently sent a Digital Adapter (DTA50). Do I need to use this?

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Do I need to use this Rogers Digital Adapter?

No you don't. The DTA50 digital adapter is only for TVs with an analog connection. Since you already have digital boxes connected to both of your TVs, you will not need the digital adapter. 

I am not sure why Rogers would send you this, unless you requested it. If you do not need it, I would suggest you return it, since there is a charge by Rogers if it is not returned. 

I'm an Enthusiast

OK. We have two TVs. One was bought new about three years ago, the other is more than 15 years old and works just as well as the newer one. Both are connected by cable through a VCR/DVD machine. I'm looking at the list of affected channels and I don't watch most of them. the two I do watch are switching over to new channels apparently. As long as I can get those two channels, I don't need a adaptor box. As a matter of fact, weren't we all told for months on end that we would not be affected by the end of analog as long as we were connected to cable? Wasn't that what the CRTC told all of us?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Last I checked, those commericals were about Analog TV Transmissions via ANTENNA being shut down, of course those had nothing to do with this, You dont watch your TV with an antenna, otherwise you would not be on this board.

I'm an Enthusiast

You sure do sound like a Rogers employee. What happened, they cancel your contract?
I'm an Enthusiast

So you don't need the Rogers digital adaptor if you have a new TV? This is beginning to get a wee bit confusing.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Cap07 wrote:

So you don't need the Rogers digital adaptor if you have a new TV? This is beginning to get a wee bit confusing.

It seems that Rogers will flip a switch sometime later this year, and all channels will become digital and encrypted. When this happens, no TV, even the newest and cleverest digital TV, will be able to work on Rogers without a box of some type from Rogers. Same goes for any video recording or transporting device of any type.

It's not just that the signals will all be digital - they will all be encrypted and only a Rogers box will be authorized to decrypt them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i just said that. why no body listens? its not hard to understand

I'm an Enthusiast

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Brucemartin said:

It's not just that the signals will all be digital - they will all be encrypted and only a Rogers box will be authorized to decrypt them.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks a million. Finally, someone who can explain things clearly!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

this was explained in another post, its just that the person who made this one did not read the other post which explains this very clearly