cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a data plan with an unlocked Samsung galaxy S3?

Anum
I've Been Here Awhile

I already have a samsung galaxy s3 phone I just need to know if i can just go along with my existing plan that I have which is a social networking plan which includes unlimited social networking (facbook, twitter etc) . It was originally for a blackberry as it included unlimited bbm as well.

If i keep the existing plan would I still have unlimited social networking? (Obviously unlimited bbm will be of no use). I have wifi everywhere pretty much so I dont really need data.

Thanks

****Edited Labels****

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Do I need a data plan with an unlocked Samsung galaxy S3?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

certain blackberry plans only work with blackberry devices, so the bbm social media plan is not compatible with non blackberries because non blackberries do not have the ability to block certain internet apps while allowing others,  only blackberry devices can do this,   if you use it on your samsung galaxy, you might get charged for ppu data, or it might not connect.

the good news, is you can call up rogers and change your data plan to a pure data plan that will work on all smart phones like your sam sung galaxie s3

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Anum

The plan you currently have, should work with the S3. I have a Blackberry 6GB with unlimited social networking plan and I use it with every single phone ( I buy all the new phones.) And neverr had a issue.

Every new plan, the social networking is included with the data package you have. You can call Rogers and they will explain it better then anyone of us can. 🙂

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Meowmix, the blackberry plans that "DO NOT" include any surfing/web browsing, will NOT work on any other phone, they just can not be provisioned to work because the way those plans are built, the data IS unlimited, but surfing is turned off via the service books,so when you use any plan that is restricted to a specific application, it needs to be that handset type only because no other phone will understand nor receive the service books, and simply can not turn off browsing and leave social networking on..  as for you having unlimited social networking, your social networking goes through APN3  wich is blackberry.net, thus your data on the apn 1 and 2 (wap/internet) will come out of your bucket of data.   Im pretty sure the op's data plan does NOT include browsing.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Pauly.

Blackberries use something called BIS as you know. That code works for the blackberry to get data turned on for them. If you switch to another phone while you have a blackberry data plan, you can still keep it & it will work. The plan the user has, is still valid as it will work no matter what. Its best for them tho to contact Rogers & see what they say. I have a Blackberry 6GB data plan with unlimited Social networking in which works just fine on my  every iPhone I owned, S3, Note 2 and Galaxy S2 LTE... BB data plan will work just fine on smartphones, if you have a smartphone data plan, it will not work on a BB because it needs BIS. Some carriers in Canada and around the world let this happen. Rogers does as well. See the link below. Many will say NO and many will say YES. I know what i am talking about as i even showed you your OWN post you made in another thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/general-discussion-f2/use-bis-data-plan-non-blackberry-smartphone-67551...

Here is a Fido rep & a normal Fido customer explaining it will work just fine

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/thread-id/7681

EDIT - I just found a post YOU claimed it should work just fine using Blackberry data on a iPhone which uses a smartphone data. Even a Rogers rep on the post said it works fine..

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/BlackBerry_devices/thread-id/553

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hello Meowmix,  I am very familiar with the Blackberry Data plans, I also know the difference between BIS, BES, Wap and Internet,  I have also used the exact same data plan that you have, I know which APN's are activated when you actvate which plan. I also have used the unlimited Social Networking and IM Blackberry Plan, as well as the Unlimited Blackberry Personal E-mail and IM plan and am fully aware they do not allow browsing (the service book is not pushed to the blackberry handset)

Incase you are not aware, Let me shed some light on how these plans work, they are NOT surfing plans, these plans have NO browser access, however the Browsing APN is provisioned on the line because this is what the apps like facebook connect to to download the images and graphics within their apps, and the data usage is not metered.  They simply allow the Download and use of the IM and Social Networking plans to work.  If you put a data plan that was provisioned for Blackberry Social Networking or Personal e-mail into a non-blackberry, the system will see data being accessed outside of the Blackberry APN, and will see the device accessing the data is not that of a blackberry handset based on its imei, and the user agent id is also different, and the system may do a few things, it may block the data use all together, and send you a sms message to warn you, or it might charge you for pay per use data access becaues it recognised its a non-compliant device, or it could do both for a short while untill the system's checks are in place.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
if it worked, everyone would get these plans instead of regular data plans, because there is no metering on it, regular smart phones are not smart enough to distinguish allowing social networking apps to work while blocking all browsing/surfing, only blackberries can do this.

Anum
I've Been Here Awhile

I ddidnt have a seperate data plan like the 6GB one u mention I just got  a special student plan going on during a promotion with unlimited social networking which inluded bbm, fb, twitter and other things.

Im guessing it wont work then?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Anum

In that case, you will need to get a data plan in order to use data.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation