Disconnection issues might be DNS issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

For the last week or two, my Rogers service appears to hang two or three times every evening.    I believe the issue is with Rogers DNS servers, because any streaming I have on at the time just continues.   It's only when I begin to click on various web sites that I find I have an issue.  (We have multiple devices hanging off our Internet service.)

For this, and other reasons, I've decided to move to OpenDNS instead of Rogers DNS.  Does anyone know how to change the router settings?   This is not an issue with most routers (like we use at work), but from browsing the forum here, Rogers appears to have somehow hidden the settings so the public cannot change them.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

For example, is there a higher level login, and what is the password?   (Rogers should not have its own back door without my permission for privacy reasons for one.  If there is such a login, I should be able to set the password on it, if I choose.)

Or second, will a hardware reset open up the restricted settings.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disconnection issues might be DNS issues

A reset will not give you access to anything else. Changing any firmware version, may cause it to not work on the Rogers network, or just force and update back to their firmware version.

I don't have that model anymore to see where the settings are unfortunately.

You could always change it on a device by device basis, if you give them each static Ips rather than via dhcp

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.  I did find the setting, must have overlooked it before.  I changed the Primary DNS to OpenDNS and set the Secondary DNS to Rogers.  I'll see if this cures the hangs I have been getting. I'm also looking furhter into the options provided by OpenDNS.  I wouldn't recommend that the casual non-technical user change these settings, since there are a couple of potential pitfalls, but it's not rocket science either.  Almost any 14 year old kid could likely do this.

I Plan to Stick Around

My problem started on Tuesday afternoon. The online light on my SMC modem always stays on and steady, but there's no connection to my PC or wireless devices (iphone/ipad). Once I reboot the modem, it works again. It disconnects a few times a day and overnight. When it's not working, I get DNS errors in Windows Live Messenger and when checking gmail in Chrome, I got this message: The server at mail.google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed.

I'm in Scarborough, near Danforth/Birchmount. Wondering if anyone else has this issue around here and if I should try changing the DNS to Google's? I have not contacted Rogers because I find I can usually get better information in the forums, unless it's actually an issue with my modem. I've read about people swapping out their modems here and getting something even worse, so I want to avoid this if possible! I also got an error message on my PC the other day that said there was a Windows IP conflict, but it went away when I rebooted.

My modem was fine yesterday, but while the online light stayed lit, the last email I received was at 4:01 a.m. and it was still not working (PC or wirelessly) until I rebooted at 7am.

Any help/advice would be really appreciated! Thank you Smiley HappyCat Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

Update: I just told my dad (he lives down the street from me) about my internet issues and he says he's had the same problem all week. He has a different modem than I do. I just called Rogers now and they asked me to call them back the next time it's disconnected, so I'll call them in the morning. They said nobody else in the area has reported a problem, but I believe most people here (at least those in wifi range) are with Bell.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the exact same problem and when I tried to call Tech Support there was a wait time of over 15 minutes for the next rep. Something is going on.

I Plan to Stick Around

I called tech support last night and was told to call back when I wasn't getting a connection. I just called this morning at 6:15 am. 20 minute wait. Guy ran tests and said everything looked fine. He said there were no outages in my area. I explained that my dad, who is across the road and 7 houses away, was having the exact same issue, different modem. He offered to replace the modem. I repeated that it was likely not the modem as my dad had the same issue and it started on the same day. He said there's nothing he can do as all tests show that nothing is wrong. He said if he sent the problem to the engineers, they would send it back. I asked if there were a lot of Rogers users in my area and he said 170 modems were online in this area. I said I may as well go door to door then and ask if people are having the same problem, and he said "ok".

He said if I could call as soon as it happens, that would help, but if it shows my modem uptime is 22 hours (since I rebooted manually yesterday morning), what is it going to show them the minute it happens. Also, I don't think I should have to stay up all night waiting for the disconnect. Thursday night it was between 4am and 7. Last night it was between 12:30 and 3. I can tell by the times of the emails on my iphone.

I have no idea what to do next. I know it's only an overnight disconnect, but what if it goes back to how it was acting Tuesday and disconnects during the day again as well?

Does anyone think I should try the Google DNS? I dont mind going around the problem. I just don't want to have to reset the modem every day. Surely it can't be good for the modem.

Thanks