Disconnected extender from PVR. How do you get extender programs back?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Disconnected extender from PVR. How do you get extender programs back?

The Rogers Seagate extender I have connected to my 9865 HD PVR (NxBx3) with a SATA cable became disconnected inadvertently.  The HD PVR automatically rebooted when the disconnect happened and after it rebooted, it only showed the 20 recorded programs that were on the HD PVR. There were about 20 other recorded programs on the extender that we had not yet seen. Plugging the extender back in only resulted in the PVR recognizing the device and asking if we wanted it reformatted.

Is there any way to get the programs that were on the extender to show up?  A call to Rogers indicated that I should use SETTINGS - TROUBLESHOOTING - RESET FACTORY SETTINGS.  Somehow I don't think this is the solution so I asked for an escalation of the problem .

Meanwhile, anyone got some ideas?  I am sure this has happened to someone else !

***Edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Disconnected extender from PVR. How do you get extender programs back?

As of my understanding?  You MIGHT be stuck 😞

I have unpluged everything myself when moving the box recently.. but didnt power the PVR back on, until the the ext drive was re-connected, and it came back up OK... all recordings still there.

That your PVR came back up.. WITHOUT the external drive.. it may have re-indexed.. and when plugging the ext drive back in, it is viewing it at 'new' and wants to re-format.
(this is likely do, to keep people from say swaping drives to try and have one work on somone eleses box to watch stuff, etc.)

Best i can sugest to try.. would be.. to unplug everything.  Plug the power to the ext drive in let it power up.  Plug in the sata cable.. then let the PVR come back up... and maybe since its there at BOOT, it will re-index with whats on the drive?

Factory settings is NOT what you want, as it will WIPE everything.

User14

A couple of points after I called Rogers again today.

1. A technician did not call me back. There was no record that they were supposed to. Not good client service!

2. When I called again, I was told that Rogers agents can not escalate a trouble call to a technician. All they can do is schedule an appointment with a technician. It is strange that there is no escalation mechanism to a technician for a help desk call.  

Regarding the suggestion to start the extender and try rebooting the box - did that already.

What happens is that when the extender SATA cable comes out of the 9865 box (NxBx3) it freezes and doesn't come on.

Someone said: "...... a lot of trouble with the 9865. It wants to do its own thing."

You either unplug it or hold the power button on to get it to start and when you do, it reboots.

I didn't have the entender in at this point, so it reindexed only the items on the PVR. Maybe... if I had realized the SATA cabe had come out, I could have put it back in when it was "frozen". Then it might not have reindexed only on the PVR recordings.

So... if the 9865 freezes, the SATA cable may have become detached - Better check it first! 

With the 8300 box, I don't remember this happening, but then again, the extender connection never became disconnected.

So finally, a technician is coming tomorrow. Stay tuned. 🙂  If he tells me that he can't recover the extender programs, that will be a waste of everyone's time for sure.

User14

The technician arrived. I explained that the extender had been disconnected and that I could not get the PVR to re-index the extender programs to show up on the recording list.

He explained that unfortunately I could not recover the lost programs on the extender. He also called the office to confirm this.

Obviously, this is to ensure you can not plug anything in to record a program then unhook it and play it on another PVR. The eSATA cable is also proprietary.There is an FAQ on this:

Q: I have other eSATA cables, can I use these to connect my PVR Extender to my NextBox HDPVR?

A: No. A proprietary eSATA data cable is required to connect the PVR Extender to the NextBox HDPVR.

What are the lessons I learned:

1. You can't get a simple technical yes-no question escalated at the technical support help desk. They have been told to schedule a technical visit which may cost you.

2. For the 9865 HD PVR, if you disconnect the PVR extender (eSATA cable or power) while the PVR has power, the PVR will freeze for a minute, then reboot. I tested this several times.

3. The extender instructions to connect a HD PVR extender are here:

http://downloads.rogershelp.com/digitalcable/guides/PVR_Extender_EIG-%20Eng-77807EN.pdf

4. The disconnect instructions are in the FAQ. It is crucial that you get the power off the HDPVR first so it doesn't reboot.

If you accidentally disconnect the PVR extender, abandon all hope of getting your programs back. Someone may know how, but I have not seen a workaround to this yet. 😞

Q: How do I disconnect my PVR Extender?

A: To ensure no recordings are lost, it is important to properly disconnect your PVR Extender, never unplug or disconnect your PVR Extender while the NextBox HDPVR is powered on.

1. Unplug the power cord from the back of the NextBox HDPVR.

2. Disconnect the power and data cables from your PVR Extender.

3. Reconnect the power cord to the NextBox HDPVR.

4. The WARNING you get on the TV after you connect the extender is not correct. It tells you how to disconnect the extender by removing the power, then the eSATA cable. This message is incorrect.  If the PVR has power when you remove the eSATA cable from the PVR there must be a micro switch or e-signal that tells the PVR to reboot. (I only tested this twice.) If you disconnect the eSATA cable at the extender end, the PVR may not reboot. (I didn't test this, but I suspect it will reboot also) 

Bottom line: If your PVR has power (specifically the 9865 NxBx3), and you disconnect your PVR extender, it will reboot and only re-index the programs on the PVR. When you try to reconnect the extender it will ask you if you want to reformat the extender. You will loose any program that you have recorded on it.  

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ah boo... i thought that would be the case 😞

Good information for anyone else in this situation

User14

I should have also warned everyone that if your TV programs freeze up, it may be an indication that a cable has come loose.

Don't panic. It has not started to reboot, so pull the PVR plug immediately to save what is on your extender!  

If you see it rebooting like I did, you may be too late.

You won't hurt anything by unplugging the PVR, but you will definitely stop the PVR from re-indexing only with the PVR program.

With the PVR UNPLUGGED, check that the cables are all connected, then let it reboot. 

I have not tested this so the PVR may still reboot and ask you if you want to reformat the extender. I am not sure what type of signal (hard disconnect or software signal) that causes the PVR to reboot. Maybe someone knows. The clue that something is wrong is when your TV picture freezes up. Don't panic and start pressing buttons. Think it through and good luck. 

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

My Dear Rogers Software Developers:

This thread is another example of the BACKWARD step where the "Navigatr" software removed features where were not only useful, but necessary.  Accidental cable disconnects happen all the time.

Under the previous system, the 8642HD could be booted with or without the extender.  [And by the way, the extender was just a 1-TB Western Digital driver, connected with a normal eSata-to-Sata cable.  Not sure why this thread talke about "proprietary" cables.]

When the system was booted with the extender connected, the message was something like:  "the external device can work with this system.  Do you wish to use it?"  When you answered "yes", it would format it ONLY if it not already formatted for Rogers.  If it WAS already Rogers-formatted, it simply "used" it, and all the recondings on it were accessible.  NOW, of course, that message has changed to "Do you want to format it?"

This becomes all the more frustrating when you realize that you can CHANGE THE MAIN DRIVE, and any recordings on the new drive ARE ACCESSIBLE.

Recently my old 8642HD died, and I bought another on the kijiji market.  Before activating it, I exchanged its internal drive with MY OLD ONE.  And it came up just like my old box.

Even the recording-schedule was preserved!

From my previous experience,  I believed that the extender would come up with no problem.... So I removed it in those first boot-ups because it was physically easier to work without it, until Rogers got the activation all properly worked out.

First boots:  wonderful news, recorded programs are accessible.

Shut down, plug in extender, boot again:  SURPRISE, SURPRISE.

Rogers:  among may other things,  you took away our ability to change the "save time" on recorder programs.

Now, I find that a simple cable slip destroys a Terrabyte of recordings.

This is not good, Rogers... you are already bleeding customers.  And making my life more difficult like this will do nothing to keep me from following them.

Sincerly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite:

I'm sorry that your PVR and extender are not working as you would like, however, I have the following comments based on years of feedback and experience over on the Digital Home Forum.

1. Any recordings made on the PVR are "tied" to that PVR.  In other works, they cannot be moved to another PVR.

2. I'm not quite sure why the "new" PVR you purchased was able to access the recordings on the iHDD of your "old" PVR.  Perhaps this was some sort of fluke or a new feature of Navigatr.

3. The recordings on the eHDD are also "tied" to the "original" PVR where they were recorded.  If you move the eHDD to another PVR, the PVR will ask if you wish to format. It will NOT play the recordings on that eHDD.

4. When people have had issues with iHDDs and eHDDs going bad, if you catch it early, before there is too much damage to the drive, you can clone that drive using a computer and then watch the recordings on the same PVR, however, not on another PVR, or on a computer. I have had iHDDs cloned several times over the 13 years that I've owned PVRs because they tend to fail for me after about 3-5 years depending on the amount of usage.

I realize this is not what you want to hear, nor is it totally in line with your experience, however, I have never heard of anyone successfully moving an iHDD to a new PVR and watching recordings from it.  This may be due to the Navigatr firmware actually now allowing this whereas it (and RTN and SARA firmware) previously did not.  Of course, not many people have bothered trying this either.

I hope this feedback is useful for you. At least you were successful with the iHDD.

@ColdGranite wrote:

Rogers:  among may other things,  you took away our ability to change the "save time" on recorder programs.

There are lots of things that changed with Navigatr - see link below. Regarding save time, select "until I erase" as the default and your programming will not be deleted and you can choose to delete it yourself whenever you want.  This is obviously not as flexible as being able to change the save time, but I'm guessing that so few people ever changed the save time after recording so that was one feature Rogers removed so that Navigatr wouldn't be slower than it already is on an 8642.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

ColdGranite
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

First of all.... about the "save-times" issue.

Your suggestion is not a viable option.

I record a lot of sports, and most are more than 3 hours in length.  Augusta was like 4 days at 6 hours per day right there.  The PVR will fill up pretty quickly (a month or two, maybe) if I did not specify... "until space is needed".   Otherwise, I would have to manage the space manually and continuously to be sure I had room to record new programs.

MUCH BETTER instead, for me.... would be to wait until after the fact.   If I am truly interested in something, I will watch it and delete it or possibly: Mark it to "keep forever".  Similarly, if I find that I recorded something, but find that I do not have the time now to watch it.... and if it is really something that I "really" want to see, I would be able to simply re-mark those for  "save forever" to avoid having it lost.  For all the rest.... if I don't get to them, then I probably don't care, so I let Rogers do the deletions for me.

In any case, new recordings are always done, and I have a month or two to WATCH them.... if I don't, and they fall of the edge, I guess I wasn't interested enough.

But it allows me to "manage" only those recording which interest me... and I don't have to go through every single recording and delete it to make space.

On the Extender issue:

After posting, I realized that I might try to replace the internal disk with the EXTENDER disk.  Maybe it will then see everything on THAT disk, just like does now on the original internal disk.  Not likely, but hey, it looks like it is lost, anyway.Smiley Frustrated 

I am not exactly sure why the drive SHOULD be tied to a particular PVR, anyway.  Does Rogers seriously expect that somebody is going to record a bunch of stuff, then clone it to a bunch of hundred-dollar hard drives, in order to hand it out to his friends (who would have be Rogers Subscribers and PVR owners/renters ANYWAY)?

There is no revenue loss there, so it just doesn't make sense.

If I decide to try the "stick-extender-in-as-internal" trick, I will post results.   Haven't worked up the guts, yet.  Still hoping for another answer.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ColdGranite wrote:

1. First of all.... about the "save-times" issue.

Your suggestion is not a viable option.

2. On the Extender issue:

After posting, I realized that I might try to replace the internal disk with the EXTENDER disk.  Maybe it will then see everything on THAT disk, just like does now on the original internal disk. 

3.  I am not exactly sure why the drive SHOULD be tied to a particular PVR, anyway.

1. It's not viable for you, but it is for the vast majority and that's what Rogers caters to.  I understand what you want, I'm just explaining that you're unlikely to get it back so you'll have to work with what you've got.

2. That will not work as the "index of recordings" is stored on the iHDD.

3. As you mentioned, it's intended to preclude piracy, however poorly it's managed.  It was easy for Rogers to implement this way. 

Also, the Rogers PVRs are intended to be utilized as timeshifting devices, not as archiving devices. People you use the PVR in this manner are rarely disappointed.  You may wish to consider upgrading to a 9865 or the new 4K PVR. The 8642 is such a kludge.