Disappointed with Rogers 3G - King and Bay, Downtown Toronto

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Disappointed with Rogers 3G - King and Bay, Downtown Toronto

At first I thought it was just my phone. So I restored the phone to original settings, but still got the same results. 

Then I heard my coworker complaining about his 3G not working, and his battery draining within 6-8 hours from a full charge. 

I called Rogers, and they reset something on their end. The tech I was speaking to asked me how many bars I had now (I said FULL bars, but I had FULL bars even when 3G wasn't working). 

Anyway, long story short, 6 of us have called Rogers 1800 # to inquire about this issue, and have either gotten "we'll pass it on to the technicians" or "we've reset your data connection, give it a few days". 

One of the responses was "sorry, there isn't much we can do to stabalize your 3G connection". 

King and Bay area is where I NEED 3G. I don't need it where I live. I spend most of my time in the Financial District, and feel I'm really getting ripped off. I'm paying for 3G, but forced to put my iPhone on Edge - just so I can at least receive my emails. 

I did some searching (wish I had not), and came accross NUMEROUS postings regarding complaints re: Rogers 3G in the Downtown Toronto area. Some dating back to Sept. 2010. 

Anyone know if Rogers is ever going to fix this? I'm going to call in once more and demand a partial refund. 75% of my needed 3G connection is going to waste because it just doesn't load data. It connects, just doesn't load. I plan on calling in every month for a partial refund until this issue is resolved. My friend and coworkers will be doing the same thing. 

It's unfortunate, but I may end up paying the cancellation fee and moving over to Bell. 

Proof that problems exist, and Rogers failed to resolve:

http://howardforums.com/printthread.php?t=1640797

http://forums.crackberry.com/f156/confirmed-downtown-toronto-rogers-fido-chatr-course-3g-outage-5921...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1640797-3G-Down-in-Downtown-Toronto

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1704228-Toronto-Eaton-Centre-no-3G-internet

There are more links, but you get the picture. 

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Disappointed with Rogers 3G - King and Bay, Downtown Toronto

As you note - a well documented problem.

Rogers 3G is useless in downtown Toronto. - the only area I need it.

After calls and a letter, Rogers finally acknowledged that 3G is inadequate.

I have a 50% discount for 3 month on my 3G plan.

If it doesn't improve in the next 2 months I will be calling to ask for free data.

I plan on buying an iPad 2 3G version - but only if Rogers offers me free data sharing.

Rogers sure has chutzpah to charge for a service that doesn't work.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Does anyone from Rogers actually monitor these boards? 

7 months later and my 3G is pretty much DEAD in downtown toronto's Financial District. Unfortunately I've signed a 3 year contracts with this terrible company. 

I'm so upset this Rogers that I actually cancelled all my other Rogers services!!!

1. Home phone service  (iTalk bb)

2. Cable TV  (netflix usa, hulu, pandora, and boxee running US internet channels with all shows)

3. High speed internet (Teksavvy unlimited bandwidth)

All of these cancellations are  a result of poor service and customer support. I need 3G when I'm at work in the financial district in Downtown Toronto, not when I'm at home. 

I'm actually considering paying the $500 cancellation fee so I can be 100% Rogers free. 

I've also successfully convinced 4 friends and 3 neighbors to also cancel their home phone service and internet service. They are also now on iTalkbb for home phone, and Teksavvy for internet. 

Keep it up, Rogers. 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Funny thing is that EVERY phone that Rogers released with 3G on it i get 3G service down town. I get 4 3G bars on king & bay.

If you are wishing to cancel with Rogers then do it. Do not complain to Rogers or others in the end if you go with another carrier & have the same issues. You also need to understand downtown their is a lot more data traffic then anywhere else. In new york ATT had the same issue & it took them about 2 years later to get it fixed.

I fully understand the issue some have with the 3G downtown but you guys never thought that downtown Toronto has so much traffic of 3G / 4G data in which will make it worse when everyone is using it at the same time. Rogers towers are downtown near King & Bay.

Rogers needs to at least fix up the problem. I have not heard if this issue till now to be honest.

Also to be added your coworker said his battery dies fast? um That is not Rogers fault.. That is the manufactors fault nor Rogers. Rogers just supplies you with Data & voice services NOT batteries & hardware for the phone....

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Funny thing is that EVERY person I talk to around my work has the same problem as me!

I did a direct comparison with an iPhone 4 on Telus...side by side just 10 minutes ago (both phone i ios5). 

Telus:  3 bars,  speed test:  1.4mbps down

Rogers: 5 bars (full), speedtest: 0.32mbps down

I understand there more people downtown, and understand traffic is higher. So what's your point?

I'm paying for 3G service, and not able to use it because of network congestion. Is that any excuse to continue to provide poor service and charge regular amount? As a consumer, I could care less what happens with their networks. I really don't care. 

If Rogers is selling 3G service, I expect 3G service. Period. The rest is up to Rogers to make it happen. 

If it takes them 2 years to upgrade their towers, then I expect two years of refunds or free cancellation on the data end. I wouldn't charge you $100 for a full tank of gas, but only actually fill up $20 worth. Same idea. Why should anyone pay full price for 3G service, and get only 10% of the serivce?

My battery runs out fast too, and yes, it's because of a network issue. All my friends devices show the same symptoms. My girlfriends BB Torch is the same deal. The battery runs out quickly because its constantly trying to find service. common sense tells us this process of searching for signal drains battery. When I'm not downtown/work, my battery lasts the normal 2 day. You should know this. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

stangn99, I have the same problem. If you read Meowmix's posts he (or she) is obviously biased towards Rogers and I would not be surprised if he (or she) was on their payroll.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

First of all EVERY phone dies fast no matter what. Do some research online & you will see it for your self. Second the usage is YOUR OWN FAULT if the battery drains that fast NOT ROGERS. Do some research again & you will see it your self. The battery comes from the Manufacturer NOT Rogers. So tech its the manufacturers fault if the battery drains. The battery could also have a problem so you can do a swap & get a new one...

Yes i know this but as well you need to understand that Rogers is not at fault for how much your battery drains. Use common sense there as well for your self.

Whats my point? The point is the more people that use the 3G networks the more it will go slower & have less data you get. Again do some research on this & you will see my point. The more people using 3G network the  less data you will get. Telus has less costumers on their service. They have 7 mill where Rogers has 9.5 million for Wireless.. Think about that as well.  I am not saying they all live down here in Toronto but Down town Toronto is known to have traffic for 3G data.

You are not going to get a refund of the time you lost of your data. Get over your self.  Like i said go to another service provider & if you have the same issue down the line, then do not cry & complain. Yes Rogers service somewhat sucks but its not their fault for your battery issue. Yes its trying to find service BUT EVERY PHONE DOES THAT. I see no one crying about how the battery dies within 6-8 hours because of trying to find service :/.. Normal usage is around 6-8 hours on iPhones.

Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
Talk time: Up to 7 hours on 3G, up to 14 hours on 2G (GSM)
Standby time: Up to 300 hours
Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
Video playback: Up to 10 hours
Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Straight from Apple.ca

for your girfriends  blackberry here is the battery usage

Stand-by Up to 432 h (2G) / Up to 336 h (3G)
Talk time Up to 5 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 5 h 40 min (3G)
Music play Up to 30 h
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

"First of all EVERY phone dies fast no matter what. Do some research online & you will see it for your self. Second the usage is YOUR OWN FAULT if the battery drai...blah blah blah."

You obviously have no idea how smart phones work (or this type of technology in general). Let me give you a quick run-down. When your phone's signal strength is low, the operating system of the phone will automatically bump up power to try to 'find' better signal. As a result of bumping up the power, the phone has to work harder, causing quicker battery drainage.

Do you follow so far? If not, think of this way:

If you go into your phone's settings and set your push mail to every 15 minutes, and you have multiple email accounts, your phone's battery will drain quicker because it has to work more often to gather your emails. Similar principle applies to signal power. When the signal is low, the phone will try harder and more frequently to get you the better signal you deserve.

In our case (involving MORE than just my phone and INCLUDING BlackBerry devices), the signal strength is garbage, resulting in battery loss for ALL of us. Please don't feed me BS about battery issues or hardware failure. I'm not a phone guru by any means. I'm a web developer with extensive technical background. You're not talking to a high school kid (although I feel like I'm talking to one).

"Whats my point? The point is the more people that use the 3G netw....blah blah blah"

You're one of those, what I like to call, ignorant consumers. You kind of have an idea of the type of technology used, but accept whatever BS providers feed you. This is because you don't know any better (it's okay...just accept it). Like I said before. I really don't care if Rogers' towers can't handle the traffic or not. If they can't provide the service I'm paying for, then it's not only bad service, but theft. I guess this is why they call them 'Robbers'.

I hope you understand my point. Bottom line is that, I'm paying for service I'm not receiving. Everything else is not of concern to me. I depend on my 3G connection, and depend on my provider to give me this service. GET IT?

"You are not going to get a refund of the time you lost of your data. Get over your self.  Like i sa...blah blah blah."

Again, if you understood how the software and hardware on mobile devices operates, you would know that what you wrote was complete jibberish. I'm not using my phone for 6-7 hours ,I'd be lucky to get 4 hours on 3g in Downtown Toronto. The 6-7 hours I'm referring to is for standby time and approximately 2 hours of usage. My co-workers BB 9700 does a tad better, but still, poor compared to usage outside of the Financial District. Again, I hope you understand everything I wrote, although I really doubt you will. 

I suggest you take some time off the Rogers boards, and go an educate yourself on all the things I've mentioned so far. Also, please check your grammer and spelling as I find some posts difficult to read. 

Thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think that insults have a place on this forum. 

that being said Meowmix, I have read a number of your posts and weather you mean them to or not a lot of them sound insulting.

Perhaps you should consider posting in a nicer manner if you don't wish people to attack you back.

The bottom line is that the core can't handle the traffic it gets down there and rogers should work on bumping up the service in that area to compensate. If so many people are using that area of network that its slowing it down then they should be spending the appropriate amount of $$$ to fix it.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

It's not only downtown.  Since the clocks changed last week I have not been able to use 3G in the Leslie/hwy407 area and north.  I used LiveChat to see what was going on last week and they said it was a "maintenance issue" and that "everyone was experiencing it"    I wish I kept a screen shot of that "chat" . 

The service has never been that great (i upgraded from a 3g to a 4 about a year ago hoping for better speed... no real difference)  but now it's just NOT WORKING. 

considering paying the ransome to get the **bleep** off rogers.    Shame as I seem to have finally stopped them from trying to sell me home phone every other day.