Digital Service Fee

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Digital Service Fee

It is unfortunate that these service fees are set out this way - why not just build it in as part of the fee cost structure - we all know that Rogers needs to make profits, and needs to invest in future infrastructure.

Digital fees, touch tone fees, service fees, all originated as a requirement by the government force upgrades into low demand territories and have been around for about 20 year under various terms.

The challenge is that it was first introduced as just that a digital fee to pay for the transition to digital.  That is not the case anymore, so just call it an overhead cost for future development. 

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BS wrote:

It is unfortunate that these service fees are set out this way - why not just build it in as part of the fee cost structure - we all know that Rogers needs to make profits, and needs to invest in future infrastructure.

Digital fees, touch tone fees, service fees, all originated as a requirement by the government force upgrades into low demand territories and have been around for about 20 year under various terms.

The challenge is that it was first introduced as just that a digital fee to pay for the transition to digital.  That is not the case anymore, so just call it an overhead cost for future development. 

Bruce

Years after touch tone phone dialing became the norm the phone companies still applied a touch tone fee even though it required extra technology to process pulse dial instead. I never bought it and used my phones in pulse dial mode, but most customers paid extra for the "beeps" and "convenience" just to be in tune with the times.  When I switched to digital cable in 2009 my bill had a $2.99 monthly Digital Service Fee and it still does now that all cable is digital and my VIP plan is grandfathered.  I guess every nickle and dime they can get is important.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I never look at the individual fees in my bill. I always look at the overall bill when I re-negotiate my 2-year "contract".  Many times after the negotiations, I'll see a number for say internet or home phone that is ridiculously low and the other prices may be "list prices". As I stated, I don't care as long as the overall bill is in line with what I'm willing to pay for my services.  Many people who have 3-4 services are typically able to negotiate about 20-30% overall discounts, although recently I've heard that it may be less. I will find out soon as my 2 years is coming up.

I also never paid the touchtone fee with Bell as I retained my digipulse service until I left Bell 9 years ago when Bell were unwilling to negotiate at all for the phone rate, until after I left, when I received all kinds of offers, but I told them that was too late.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Why do we pay anything extra? The cable rate is exorbitant enough without extra service charges

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I was with Mountain cable that was purchased by Shaw which was purchased by Rogers, so my account has been active since 1998. There's an old adage that when you are selling a product, that the cost needs to be in line with all competitive options else you price yourself out of the market and the quality needs to be there for the same reason. So the only thing you are selling is a service and that is where the customer needs to feel they are being treated well and are happy.