cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Basic Cable - HD Channels

dude
I'm Here A Lot

Hi . I'm curious to know whether this package has any High Definition channels ? If so ? How many ? Thanks

Remember its the Digital Basic package ... Thanks

***Edited labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Digital Basic Cable - HD Channels

James
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hey dude,

Quick answer is no. Digital Basic pricing is based on a SD box. To obtain HD channels, you would require an HD box (either regular or PVR version, all of which is extra on top of the quoted pricing).

James
I'm a Senior Contributor

Just thought I would throw this out there as well incase you ask "If I have an HD box, which channels would I get?"

Here is the list you get with Digital Basic (with an HD box):

HD channels included with Digital Basic:

APTN HD
CBC News Network HD
CTV HD British Columbia (HCTVV)
CTV HD Toronto (CTVTO)
HD ABC Buffalo (WKBW)
HD CBC Ottawa (HDCBO)
HD CBC Toronto (CBLT)
HD CBC Vancouver (HCBCV)
HD CBS Buffalo (WIVB)
HD CHCH
HD Citytv Toronto
HD FOX Buffalo (WUTV)
HD Global BC
  HD Global Toronto (CIII)
HD NBC Buffalo (WGRZ)
HD OMNI.1
HD OMNI.2
HD Pay Per View 1
HD Pay Per View 2
HD PBS Buffalo (WNED)
HD Preview Channel
HD SRC Toronto (CBLFT)
HD SUN TV
NFL Network HD
RDI HD
Rogers TV HD
  Sportsnet East HD
Sportsnet Ontario HD
Sportsnet Pacific HD
Sportsnet West HD
Télé Québec HD
TFO HD
The Aquarium Channel HD
The Cottage Channel HD
The Sunset Channel HD
TV5 HD
TVA HD
TVO HD
V HD

dude
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the info ... I should of mention I will have the HD Box ROGERS, EXPLO 8642HD

James
I'm a Senior Contributor

Not a problem. You would then get all the channels listed in my 2nd reply.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you require further assistance.

boblepp
I Plan to Stick Around

So, since most stations are now broadcasting HD only over the air, is Rogers actually downgrading that signal to sell it as part of the basic package?

Would it not be more fair and easier to pass along the free HD signal off the air over the cable as intended by the originating station? How do they know what part of the larger image to trim off?

Or maybe the stations have to provide an SD signal separately to cable companies for retransmission?

rogers123... this is not the time to pop in with an answer in all uppercase, thanks! I am hoping some non-employee customer can help me out with this technical question.

Oh, just remembered, where can I find a list of the channel *numbers* in each of my HD options? I am thinking since the HD box knows what channel numbers I can see that this list is somewhere in the Rogers computer and I could have a look at it, making it easier to chosse which package is the best bang for the bucks. 

Sorry for 2 technical questions in one post.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The stations have carriage agreements with rogers, has NOTHING to do with Broadcasting in HD Over the Air.

Rogers gets what ever signal is agreed to in their carriage agreements. Obviously they will come to a point where all the Networks will send HD only feed to the BDU's and the BDU will be responsible for transmitting HD to HD customers, or Downconverting it to customers with older TV sets who use SD STB's. We're not quite there yet, as many networks are sending a SD and HD feeds to the BDU's as seperate feeds at this time, due to their contractual agreements.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing people should understand, is Basic cable does not mean "lower quality signal"  it just means "LESS" of the channels you would get with a higher package.   Basic cable (digital basic) can be SD or HD,  really it should depend on the equiptment you are using to receive it, that should be the only difference.  THe one thing to remember, HD channels have seperate negociated carriages in certain packages, than their SD counterparts do, yeah i know, it complicates it even more, but I predict a trme will come when all the feeds are in HD, were atleast a decade away from where we want to be and where companies like rogers make you feel we are in terms of technology advancements.

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation