Digital Adapter - stopping analog channels?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scrappysmith200
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Digital Adapter - stopping analog channels?

I had a Rogers Techy on our street say CRTC permision was kicked down the street till Sept at the earliest! He may have thought himself funny (Rogers Call?) but our channels are disapearing in Willowdale today! Forced PVR Purchases!
scrappysmith200
I've Been Here Awhile

There where no limitations Gdkitty!

Now There Are. Multiple lines are needed or a PVR something that I'm not interested in for quality issues or financial. This will make Cable TV a seriously more expensive proposition!
scrappysmith200
I've Been Here Awhile

Keep Shooting canjafo your on the money!
Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@scrappysmith200 wrote:

Now There Are. Multiple lines are needed or a PVR something that I'm not interested in for quality issues or financial. This will make Cable TV a seriously more expensive proposition!

There is no cost increase, you CAN continue to record shows and use your existing equiptment, but you choose not to.  You have the option to instead of be negative, be positive and accept the change, continue to record your shows the traditional way.  Yeah  you might need to sacrifice recording one show while watching another, its a sacrifice YOU CAN DO, but you are unwilling to accept this, so just try it out

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@scrappysmith200 wrote:

If you want to do it exactly the same way as you did before?  yes.. it is a more diffucult route, than the way you did it prior... i will give you that.

But, as Pauly has said.. the times are changing.  Rogers up until now, has been the ONLY way of doing it the old way.  (well any cable based tv company, shaw, etc).   ANY other TV technologies so far that have been brought out new (satalite, and now fibre) are have been the way that rogers is moving.. from the begining.. having to buy/rent multiple boxes for all the TVs, limited to one channel at a time original on satalite, etc.

Would it be nice if rogers could still provide this? Sure.

People seem to see this as a money grab.  Really its not.  You can still get your standard nothing facncy tv packages.. you can get free DTA adapters... the only thing that changes is you cant watch the TV the same way.

To make adjustments for the way that TV is moving... towards more HD content, etc.. these changes need to be made to the system. 

Does everyone want/watch HD? No..  But that is the way the WHOLE market is moving, so rogers needs to keep up with it, or be out of business.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with GD kitty.

Times are changing, people need to accept this.

lowtech2012
I've Been Around

Yes, times are always changing - for the most part anyways, unless entire communities or countries decide not to accept it for whatever reason (ie. Rogers is just now making the change to mainstream digital cable? maybe it's now financially feasible for them to do so, or technically practical for the infrastructure, who knows...better late then never I guess). Yet I can also understand how some people's viewing/recording habbits and home-brew setups will be adversly affected by this change.

I don't watch 'mainstream' TV (most content is just garbage nowadays, and couldn't be bothered with commercials). I watch what I want, when I want  and at the quality I want, how? the INTERNET is your best friend.. 😉  in today's world place all your bets on the best, fastest, most economical internet provider you can afford and everything else will fall into place (phone service, tv service, fax etc...)

Yes, I do use ATSC 'free' over-the-air HD (high-definition) programming that's available to all of us, for me I use two HD indoor antenas: $80 and $35 (Hockey Night In Canada looks simply amazing!) and to record this HD content? not a problem with any of the Windows Media Center computers we have (courtesy of ATI's TVWonder HD usb stick, $80).

I do watch a select few TV shows however I watch them at my own leisure (these TV shows have been 'recorded' or 'captured' in 720p HD, with no commercials and are available to anyone with an internet connection). Yes, these shows are 'legal' - the networks have been making their TV shows available online for sometime now (ABC, CITY, GLOBAL, etc..). I simply chose to obtain these from an alternate source as I keep a vast library of media content, my own 'video on demand' sort of speaking. This content is readily available to any of our devices at home: computers/laptops, iPads, iPods, HD TVs, smartphones, the list goes on and on..

I can go into much more detail, and the various 'alternatives' that exist out there, but for now just do your homework and see what works for you.

ps. the obligatory '..no, I don't work for Rogers or any of the providers/services I've mentioned above', but here's a clue: I DON'T use Rogers as my ISP -  for all the content I get the caps would just kill me 😉

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good for you bro

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lowtech2012 wrote:

Yes, times are always changing - for the most part anyways, unless entire communities or countries decide not to accept it for whatever reason (ie. Rogers is just now making the change to mainstream digital cable? maybe it's now financially feasible for them to do so, or technically practical for the infrastructure, who knows...better late then never I guess). Yet I can also understand how some people's viewing/recording habbits and home-brew setups will be adversly affected by this change.

I don't watch 'mainstream' TV (most content is just garbage nowadays, and couldn't be bothered with commercials). I watch what I want, when I want  and at the quality I want, how? the INTERNET is your best friend.. 😉  in today's world place all your bets on the best, fastest, most economical internet provider you can afford and everything else will fall into place (phone service, tv service, fax etc...)

Yes, I do use ATSC 'free' over-the-air HD (high-definition) programming that's available to all of us, for me I use two HD indoor antenas: $80 and $35 (Hockey Night In Canada looks simply amazing!) and to record this HD content? not a problem with any of the Windows Media Center computers we have (courtesy of ATI's TVWonder HD usb stick, $80).

I do watch a select few TV shows however I watch them at my own leisure (these TV shows have been 'recorded' or 'captured' in 720p HD, with no commercials and are available to anyone with an internet connection). Yes, these shows are 'legal' - the networks have been making their TV shows available online for sometime now (ABC, CITY, GLOBAL, etc..). I simply chose to obtain these from an alternate source as I keep a vast library of media content, my own 'video on demand' sort of speaking. This content is readily available to any of our devices at home: computers/laptops, iPads, iPods, HD TVs, smartphones, the list goes on and on..

I can go into much more detail, and the various 'alternatives' that exist out there, but for now just do your homework and see what works for you.

ps. the obligatory '..no, I don't work for Rogers or any of the providers/services I've mentioned above', but here's a clue: I DON'T use Rogers as my ISP -  for all the content I get the caps would just kill me 😉

Thats just it.. each person is different, and their watching habbits are different.

I have at least two friends, who have droped cable.. and watch solely on netflix, using a boxee, etc..

Which is fine.. i applaud them.   It works for THEM.   He keeps trying to push it on me.. and some others.

For what MY familys watching habbits are.. what we want to watch, when, the particular content, etc.  Its not all available via other means.  (There is ONE current show we watch, on netflix canada :P)

So to each person their own.. it all comes down to what their watching habbits are.

For people who were REALLY light watchers, only one TV, with basic cable... is droping it alltogether now a possibility? Sure.  These are calls that people have to make.. what is important.. and how do they want to go forward.

My inlaws cant afford alot of TV.. but they pay for it, and for a PVR..  Could they get away with what they watch, via other means? Sure.  But they reason they have a PVR now, is that its EASY to use.. (not calling me daily on help setting the VCR).. to set them up on something else which is more difficult? No.. not really a viable option.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I guess I'm the only one who almost pines for the days when the biggest problem to watching your favorite programs was who was getting up off the couch to change the channel. Smiley Frustrated