Digital Adapter - stopping analog channels?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Digital Adapter - stopping analog channels?

I heard City News Channel is now available on the DTA -50 set top boxes pretty cool

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if i subscribe to channel 35 (Telelatino) on my regular digital box, its not a tier, its more like a a-la cart due to crtc linkage requirements for my italian specialty package, will i be able to convince rogers to have this channel appear on my dta-50 as well? please only answers from rogers social media reps only pelase.

samman
I've Been Around

@jays77 wrote:

I guess I'm the only one who almost pines for the days when the biggest problem to watching your favorite programs was who was getting up off the couch to change the channel. Smiley Frustrated

Oh me too! Now I need 3 boxes for the whole house. Just ordered the free one. But who's gonna pay for the other two? And also its just silly how the TV remote is now used just to turn your TV on or off. I have a VCR and a DVR in parallal connection. I can record 2 shows and watch another at the same time. All this is going to be impossible from this month.

Internet viewing is not a good option either. There are no unlimited internet in Canada now, I think. Rogers charges $100 max for over use. If 3 people in my house watches every show on internet we would cross our internet allowance in 5 days or so. So, every which way, I'm completely messed. 

**edited for content**

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, vcrs and dvrs are yes now screwed 😞

What TV package are you on? Depending in the package, you have X many 'outlets' paid for, you should be able to get a free dta for each outlet. Now if you are on a basic package you may only have one outlet, so would have to pay for the additional outlets (but not the dtas for them).

It's unfortunate that all this is happening, but with the majority of people on digital and demanding more content in higher res, the space is needed that analog is taking up (you can fit 2-4 digital channels in the space of one analog).
I guess we are lucky we have been able to do so for so long, any other form of TV, hasn't been able to from the beginning (sattalite, fiber, etc)

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Oh I understand progress ans slick marketing.  We are told we need/want all these choices and it doesn't take long before we believe it  and grudgingly shell out whatever it costs to have only the best. 

the interesting thing is the average pesons watches only 10-15 of the 100+ channels they are paying for. Also many of the programs are available on about six channels at the same time, but at least I have a greater choice of what channel I want to watch the program on.  But like everyone else I fall in step, pay my money, waste a couple of hours every day sitting on a couch instead of actually doing something constructive.  The pricce of progress... less money and wider hips.  Life is good. Smiley LOL

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. sitting on my rear through college, didnt help my waistline 😛

Thats one thing people have to remember in the long run too.. Internet, TV, etc.. its all a privledge.  Its an extra.  There are tons of people who live completely without it.  While its GREAT to have, its not necessary.

If it comes down to an affording thing.. that you really cant aford it (and not pay other bills, food, etc as well).. its time to take a step back.  Do you really need to watch that much, see that show?  Spend less time on the PC, and do other things.

While i do pay for a fairly high TV package, and net package (money isnt a complete issue for me), I leave them till last.. Work, come home, do dinner, dishes, laundry, play with my son, anything else that needs to be done... once hes in bed and all the other stuff is done... THEN i watch TV/Computer.  I pvr stuff for when i have time to watch it... if i miss a weeks eppisode of show X? Oh well.. its a tv show, its not the end of the world 🙂  Life first 🙂

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This is all true, but in the old days watching TV meant turning a knob on the set and maybe fiddling with the rabbit ears for a couple of minutes. Now it's practically a science project just to be able to watch three neanderthals fight over a storage locker or a couple of metro-sexuals complain about the drapes. A zillion channels and nothings on!

Cap

charmainejensen
I'm Here A Lot

Approximately two years ago when Rogers first announced switching over and requiring a digital box - we discussed this with Rogers at the time and they convinced us to rent a Digital Terminal of which is costing us $4.49 per month as well as Digital Service Fees of $2.99

The only advantage of this Digital Terminal is that we get maybe 10 extra channels that are not covered on the Basic Cable service.  However, I am wondering if the Digital Adapter would be just as beneficial.

I checked here on Rogers and it says that for my area the Digital Adapter I do not qualify for - go figure? Also with this Digital Adapter, is there the possibility of getting these extra digital channels along with our basic cable. When the Digital Adapter comes to my area - I wonder if we would benefit from it and not have to pay the above mentioned fees - as the fees have gone up two times since we got it.

Our monthly Cable $35.49  Digital Terminal Rental 4.49   Digital Services Fees 2.99  CRTC LPIF Fee 0.43

Add taxes on to all of this and we are paying $49.04 a month  Just in the past 4 years or so our cable with taxes has gone up over $6.00 per month...   it is getting to the point we cannot afford cable TV - but then I would be bored without my Cable TV as there are allot of regular programs I watch...    

Anybody else paying these outrageous fees ...

Charmaine

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I pay close to $100 for my cable fees.  But that is besides the point.  I choose to have MORE stations, HD boxes, HD content, etc.  It comes down to what you can afford.

Now, to break things down a little.

Each package, has a number of 'outlets' so to speak, allowed.  Its the number of DIGITAL boxes you can have attached to the account.  Be this the digital terminal (sd box) you have right now, or a DTA.

Currently, to be able to get any digital box, on your basic cable, to be able to get the channels you need, since you are on a granfathered old plan, you need to pay the 2.99 ontop, to be able to use digital.

You could switch to Digital basic, which then INCLUDES the fee.. but is about the same price, either way you look at it.

Now, either way.. with your basic, or the digital basic, it only has that ONE digital 'outlet' so you can only get the one box.
Likely.. since you DO have the SD box currently on the account, you have one box on there already, and it wont let you get a DTA.

By returning the SD box, you should be able to get a DTA.

Now, the DTA, in the end, should give you CLOSE to the amount of the SD box.  The DTA, gives you to about channel 70.. you might get a few more with your current SD box.. but not a HUGE difference.  But it would save  you the 4.99 each month.

I would actualy give rogers a call and inquire a bit.. make sure that its is that you ARE available to have it in your area, its just you cant due to the other box on the account, etc..  as well, they MIGHT be able to ship you one out ahead of time, not authorized.. so that when you get it, you can call in and have the old SD box un athorized and add the other (so you are not down the time inbetween handing one in, and waiting on the DTA)

charmainejensen
I'm Here A Lot

Hello GDkitty:

With the digital box (terminal) I have now - I can actually go up higher than channel 70 - I can get allot of the channels after 100 up to about 125 and also I can get some of the channels in the 160's up to about 173.

So may be I am at more of an advantage keeping this box with the number of channels I am getting. 

Thanks though for shedding more light on this new DTA ....

Charmaine