cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Protection Guarantee

Lendo78
I'm Here A Lot

Let's say that you got a brand new Blackberry Z10 and then 4 days later you're in a car accident that leave you with a crack in the screen. Is this covered under that? Or perhaps your son grabbed your phone and while running dropped it and cracked the scren. Is this covered? Has anyone ever used this program? What do you have to do?

***Edited labels***

48 REPLIES 48

Re: Device Protection Guarantee

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Definitely, device protection is nothing but an extremely overpriced insurance policy.  It is based upon the same principle - convince people of the risk to their phones and then use fear of loss of connectivity to pay for insurance.

Then like all insurance, take a solid look at the fine print, which you won't hear unless you ask for it, what is the deductible, what is their experience with replacements, what is the process, etc.  You are better off in most cases, taking the money and putting it in a bank account or investment and make a bit of interest and have the money to pay for the next phone if it lasts the life span of most phones 3-5 years, and if something happens, the first year you have your warranty, and many credit card companies have extended warranties.  It is similiar to the extended warranties on cars, electronics, etc.  Most financial analysts will tell you that they are overly priced insurance for things that in general don't happen.  Rogers makes a fee on selling it, and the replacement company gets their 200.00 deductable.  Hope you have some success on the loyalty side of things.

But at the end of the day, no what the fine print is, know that the marketing of replacement and insurance is always based upon worst case scenarios and ultimately it is up to each person to decide, but personally, I would never pay for one.

I buy a case, I use warranty when necessary, keep extra working phones from upgrades for use when needed, and know every reputable repair company in the electronics field that I will assess whether a repair, or replace makes most sense, and often they will give me a small return on the parts, which they will use for the next person, and always reuse as much of my own parts in my repair as possible.

Buyer beware unfortunately.

Bruce

johnbbbb
I've Been Around

I fill outed the forms online and told warranty doesn't cover my issues. The vibrate feature on the iPhone no longer works and camera is shaky. They replied these aren't covered by the warranty. I was convinced by sales staff not to buy apple care because rogers warranty is better. But in fact its no warranty at all. I feel deeply disappointed with the warranty process. I suggestion is not to buy the warranty, buy apple care if you need one. 

Hello @johnbbbb,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Rogers Device Protection. May I know what device do you have? And how long have you had it for? 

In addition, for information on coverage please visit this page and scroll all the way down to "Coverage Details".

RogersZia

robx7fcna
I Plan to Stick Around
I am also having a problem submitting a claim, too, kinda disappointed after paying for this insurance for many years and never needing to use it until now.

In the middle of November, my S8+ slipped out of my hand and hit the ground on the corner of the screen. It cracked the screen right where it wraps around the edge right where the case stops.

It was working fine for a day or two, but now the bottom half of the screen has turned completely white, so I cannot use the keyboard, or home buttons on the bottom of the screen.

I filed a request with Asurion just now and my claim was rejected. It says the following

"Unable to complete request

Your wireless protection program provides coverage for damage that prevents the device from not functioning correctly. What you have described is not covered by this program. Please contact your wireless provider for additional information.

Thank you for allowing us to serve you

Asurion, your technology protection company"

Can a Rogers representative please help me out? My phone is completely useless yet they say it still functions!

Hello @robx7fcna,

Have you contacted Asurion over the phone? Reading what you've described, perhaps it might be better if you get in touch with one of the reps at Asurion. You can contact them at 1-866-590-5657.

The hours of operation are:

• Monday to Friday: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. (ET)
  • Saturday: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. (ET)
  • Sunday: 7:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. (ET)

Please keep us posted.

RogersZia

robx7fcna
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Zia for the response,

I used the number provided and it took me 4 times to get through, as it didnt recognize my number for some reason. 

Once I got through and talked to a rep, she explained that since I had delayed the claim, it triggered the decline. She made arrangements to get this removed and was able to process my claim.

I just found it funny that it gave me a different answer online as to why the claim was denied, but in the end I am happy to get my phone replaced. Thanks for providing the number

It seems like Rogers engages in deceitful practice by instructing their sales reps to lie about any fees when they are selling this worthless product.
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats