Denim Upgrade

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Denim Upgrade

Well it's time to get the conversation started.   Any thoughts on when Canada will get the Denim upgrade?   My son's 735 has it (we ordered it from the States) and it has some nice changes.   I really like the exploding tiles that put like items together.   Cortana is probably just a battery waster so it's no big deal to me.   Any thoughts out there on when it's coming or what you are looking forward to?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Denim Upgrade

Lumia Denim Explained

The following is a link to an explanation of Denim

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/windows-phone/306/lumia-denim-explained

View solution in original post

All Replies
I Plan to Stick Around

Lumia Denim

Editor: Sam Sabri     Last updated 2 weeks ago

Microsoft announced Lumia Denim at IFA 2014 in Berlin, Germany. Lumia Denim is the latest firmware for Lumia handsets and brings a handful of new features like passive-listening Cortana, 4K video, Rich Capture and more.

During development, Lumia Denim was codenamed 'Debian Red.' Lumia Denim follows the naming convention used by Microsoft, nee Nokia, for their firmware in Lumia handsets. The firmware names go in alphabetical order, starting with A for Lumia Amber, B for Lumia Black, C for Lumia Cyan and now D for Lumia Denim.

Lumia Denim is most notable for bringing a handful of new features to the Lumia Camera application on Lumia handsets. Camera speed is by far the area with the biggest improvement brought on by Lumia Denim, with between shot times of milliseconds. Here's the full list of camera changes coming with Lumia Denim (to supported handsets)

• Speed: Never miss a moment with Lumia Camera and its fast camera startup and capture speeds. Take numerous photos with just milliseconds beyond shots.
  • High definition: Using Moment Capture, a long press of the camera button within the app automatically starts 4K-quality video recording at 24 frames per second. Each frame is of high image quality at 8.3 megapixels, allowing every single video frame to be selected and saved as a still image.
  • Intuitiveness: Get the best shot every time with Rich Capture, which simplifies picture-taking with auto HDR and Dynamic Flash. With Rich Capture, people can avoid the hassle adjusting camera settings; they can shoot first and edit and select the perfect shot later.
  • Quality: Capture high-quality smartphone images in low light with the latest-generation imaging algorithms.

Lumia Denim will be available with the Lumia 730, Lumia 735 and Lumia 830 and come to other Lumia handsets during Q4 2014.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

That is a very thorough description of Denim even though it didn't mention anything about the exploding tiles that I saw on my son's 735. Now the question that remains is when will it arrive in Canada? The fourth quarter of 2014 has come and gone.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The exploding tiles you are referring to are probably live folders. These are included with software 8.1 update 1, not with the firmware Denim update.

If you are on the Developers Program you would have had this for a while.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had 8.1 for a while now and these exploding tiles, or perhaps there is a better name, is not part of it.   On his denim equipped 735 there is one tile with all the entertainment tiles in it.   When you touch it the tiles immediately expand to the space below. This is different from the folder where you touch it and you are on a new page with a list of the apps you've added to it.   I'm not sure why but this new way seems much more impressive.  If you lift your finger from the tile the associated tiles quickly move back to it.  I expect it would get noticed on a crowded train or bus.   I recall reading about this feature but the actual feature is much more impressive than how it was described when I read about it and certainly more impressive than my description.   It is much more intuitive than the folder app.   I searched the term and it's often referred to as a Windows 10 feature but it clearly is on the 735 or at least the way it is described at this link is what I've seen.    I just checked his phone and the windows on both his and mine are 8.1 but mine is 8.1012393 and his is 8.1014xxxx so I think the Denim upgrade accounts for the difference.  He just showed me how he can slide one tile on top of another to create these exploding or flip out tiles right on the main screen and with any combination of tiles or sizes.   It is quite amazing really.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Phone-10-to-Feature-Exploding-Live-Tiles-467126.shtml

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I too am eagerly awaiting this update. I've had Cortana for a while (changed regional setting to U.S.) and find it very useful.

I most often use it to set reminders to myself.

"Remind me to x at y (time) on z (date)." and it does!

"The next time I'm at x (a place) remind my to y."

"The next time I talk to x remind me to y."

It's capable of much more of course, but those are the sorts of things I personally use it most for.

So much so that I occaisionally get a respons that I have too many reminders set!!

I'm looking forward to the faster camera for sure. One of the few complaints I have of my 1020.

Just a guy.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

"I've had 8.1 for a while now and these exploding tiles, or perhaps there is a better name, is not part of it." 

As I said in my previous reply you need to be on Windows 8.1 Update 1. This has nothing to do with denim which is firmware. You are quite correct that Windows 8.1 does not include this feature.

If you are part of the "Preview for Developers" program you would have received Update 1 a while ago which included your "exploding tiles".

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have Preview for Developers. I do have two Windows phones though. The 735 which was ordered from the States, has Denim and the exploding tiles. I really doubt that they would ship it with anything but the standard software. Sorry but you are wrong.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The 735 is one of the phones that comes with the Denim update. Most, if not all, recently released Windows Phones come with Denim/Update 1 installed.

Also, to clarify, there are no "exploding tiles" on Windows Phone, just folders. Exploding tiles is a UI feature (similar in look to Zune mix view) for folders that is suppoosedly being worked.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

sorry to disapoint you, but the 1020 does not get any camera improvements with the denim update. The only Phones that get the new version 5 camera app and other camera improvements are the 830, 930, icon and 1520 at this point.

I have an updated 830, 930 1020 and 1520 all running denim. btw the 830 is a rogers 830 running a french rom with the updated denim release with new camera app(newer than the denim on the original rogers rom).