Dell Streak OS update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Dell Streak OS update

I am getting sick and tired of waiting for Froyo...seems like we are the last to get the update and some have had it for months now...rogers is looking so many potential buyers because of the fact it runs 1.6...what frustrates me the most is they won't give us a date or even reply to any of our questions and when they do it is with "at the moment we have no idea" or " when we have any news we will advise you" ....As consumers we need to put more pressure on the telecommunication giants like bell and rogers to priorities the OS updates for our handsets...and get rid of this sell them a phone and 3 year contract and forget about them...there is no way I am going to buy a new phone every 6 months just so I can get the new Android OS updates...the new cheap budget phones are already coming presided with 2.2 and soon 2.3 and the Dell flagship still runs 1.6??? Same goes with the galaxy s line...that is another joke...please let us know when the Streak will be updated and please let it happen before the end of January. ..thanks
I've Been Here Awhile

Spoke to customer service yesterday about the update and any possible dates for release and after a long pause that rung of pure confusion as if the Streak was something I was requesting he do as opposed to providing me with information I receive the obligatory I have no clue about any updates for this phone. Makes anyone else feel better got basically the same response from Dell after they asked me who Roger was........

Oh this update is going smoothly I see.  Man Indifferent

I'm Here A Lot

I love how I keep getting my posts deleted by rogers admins........ Apparently the first was due to me mentioning contracts and retention the last one was deleted for an unknown reason..... Maybe cause I sarcastically said good job on the service. The issue remains, we are getting no feedback at all. Give us something like we are currently working bugs out, there are glitches and we want to ensure its more stable before release...... Heck even say jim bob has been sick with the flu and hasn't done his job. Just give us something. This is a great way to treat Dell's flagship phone and I hope they realize how many people are not buying it because it has 1.6 still.

I Plan to Stick Around

Where's android 2.2? 

And to the admin who is deleting the messages - would you mind presenting yourself? 

Maybe get us some answers rather than ignore us? If we ignore our bills i'm sure you'd take notice.

I thought this was a discussion forum, not a censorship forum. 

I Plan to Stick Around

What one must understand is that Rogers is responsible for all customer service difficulties incurred during the update.  Needless to say, Rogers is going to want to ensure that Dell's work is rock-solid before providing an OTA update.  Remember, customers are often ignorant people who ignore instructions (like updating only while connected to a Wi-Fi network)

I still don't understand and find it unconscienable that Rogers won't admit to even interfacing with Dell in this regard however.  I don't see anything wrong with "Dell is currently working on a 2.2 update for our beloved customers and a candidate may be available in (insert number) weeks.  We cannot provide you with an exact date and the candidate must meet our exacting customer service standards before release.  Please be assured we are would like to provide all our customers with the greatest experience their devices have to offer."

Customer Service etiquette, it seems, is a thing of the past.  What happened to empathizing your customer, apologizing for the inconvenience (but never implicating fault of course) and creating a business-customer bond?

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience.

Dell is hard at work preparing an over-the-air upgrade to the next-gen Android platform, AKA Froyo or 2.2, and we'll communicate those details once they're available.

Cheers

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@Cormer

Hi,

Thanks for your patience everyone.

Dell is hard at work preparing an over-the-air upgrade to the next-gen Android platform, AKA Froyo or 2.2, and we'll communicate those details once they're available.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Erin - 

Is Rogers keeping you in the dark?

Dell has already prepared an over the air upgrade for 2.2. 

Just do a quick google search, it's been out for months on other carriers,

and ships from dell with 2.2 (unlocked). 

Can you please just be honest with us as to why Rogers is delaying upgrades? 

In most workplaces such explanations for delays would not be acceptable. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers isn't necessarily delaying upgrades.  AT&T is still running 1.6 the same as Rogers is.  Apparently their release candidate wasn't approved by the service provider and was delayed by a few more weeks.  Maybe it wasn't robust enough, perhaps it drained battery needlessly or chewed through background data.  They should have their update in the next week *if* all goes well.

While it is a bit frustrating that I have more news on what's happening in another company in another country then I do my own which I have been loyal too at least you have more information then you did in the past.  At least you know, thanks to Erin, that there is an update in the works.  That's something.

Think of it this way, since Rogers gets a cut of the action with every application you purchase you know they want to give you the update.  I'm waiting to purchase a few application including Dungeon Defenders which would look magnificent on the streak.

(Note to Rogers Staff:  If you want to move phones, demo that game on the Streak and upon the Galaxy Tab in your stores.)

I Plan to Stick Around

I hope you're right Liege - you have more faith than I. 

Care to put a friendly bet of a $20 charity donation that

Rogers will not deliver in the next week?

I'm not holding my breath.