Is this update for all Rogers customers, or only the ones that bought the phone unlocked and not for the customers who are on a contract?
This is the view for a "non-enthusiast", someone who just wants a good device that works well with a minimum of intervention on my part.
I called Customer Service, asked about when the upgrade was coming, and was told I could get it.
I got the basic instructions on how to upgrade to 2.2, and did it.
Some major bugs in the install process:
- no concise process description: it's spread out on a number of web pages and chat forum pages
- the backup-restore utility doesn't fully back up and restore (e.g. contacts weren't restored)
- it doesn't tell you what it is or isn't doing, so you have no way to know whether you need to tak addisional actions.
- the update turned off the 3G function, and since it's not easy to find in the settings menus it took a lot of time to find out how to turn it on
- the new Mobile Sync software doesn't recognize my Streak when I plug it in, and there is NO documentation that I can find about how to troubleshoot it.
Many nice differences:
- waaaay better battery management.
- bluetooth voice dialing
A few noticeable dissapointments:
- the "system tray" drop-down for managing your resources is gone.
- the grid for the widgets is too big, so you hardly get any on the screen
- the landscape pitch for the screens os too small, (adjacent screens come in at the edges) so you can't use the whole area for widgets
- The Slide launcher is a waste of space, but you don't have to use it.
- Handset (not bluetooth) voice dialing is a separate app, not integrated in the menu key of the phone.
A MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR problem (for anyone using it in business):
- They removed the Outlook sync application and replaced it by the Nero Mobile Sync.
--- while this MAY eventually work for media, it is advertised NOT to sync anything other than contacts (and I still can't get it to do that)
- this is a basic function for anything that considers itself a work phone (as opposed to a personal entertainment system) and has been a standard function on phones for at least 5 years across (almost?) all vendors.
->>>> I may have to downgrade to 1.6 specifically for this.
**** Note to Dell/Rogers **** if you want ANYBODY who uses their phone for business to get this device you better get this problem sorted out quickly.
>>>>>>> at a minimum it needs contacts, calendar and tasks (email isn't too bad using the on-device mail app)
Those are among a lot more bugs in the official android 2.2 that the streakdroid are past fixing lol.
As for not liking the stage. Well I use Launchpro and you can ajuste everything on the desktop screens. With dell stage your stuck with 5...6 screen pages. With this one you can choose the amount of pages you want. And per page how many rows and columns for the icons. So you can have 1 row of 3 icons or 5 rows of 5 icons. It's your choice.
I don't use the contact widget. I prefer making direct call or direct text icons on a screen page. You just press and the call or text start.
But it's funny that Rogers waited to song before doing something that is full of bug stating that the reason that they waited so long was so they could send out a good version.
Oh well when you get sick and tired or all Rogers or dell's bull$%&# come and join us on the dark side with streakdroid lol
Oh if everything is too big you can always change your LCD density. With streakdroid it's installed with your choice of density. Or you can root your streak and install a lcd density changer. But ether way voids warranty
BTW there is now a stock package for rogers android 2.2 . If someone has installed an aftermarket OS and wish to return to stock now you can. Don't think i can give out the link here
My 1st Streak died on me...battery failure. The replacement, my 2nd one, had hardware problem or so. Froyo (2.2) updated and yet the touchs is freezing for so many times inlcuding incoming business call. So many calls I missed because of frozen screen. I ended up on my 3rd unit which is stuck in Android 1.6 since advice of Rogers rep was not to update to 2.2 yet. .....my question to anyone - is it safe to update now with Android 2.2 on a Dell Streak unit? (Why was the unlock button moved from the hard menu button to touchscreen swipe?) Could anyone share the thoughts please? I feel so primitive using 1.6 while 2.2 is already available. I'm 'claustrophobic' so I gave up my iPhone4 for a Streak5. Not a good move it seems? TIA
Hello fellow streakers (no pun intended).
I have had a not so good experience with my Dell Streak 5, first time hardware, 2nd time OS. In my 3rd unit, I was advised not to upgrade to 2.2. yet by a Rogers rep.
Now I just want to ask for your experience since you've had upgraded.
For starters, in my 2nd unit, I have missed calls almost 50% of the time because of frozen screen. The slider lock won't budge at all.
I haven't had any black-outs as experienced by some. I had a number of hang-ups on some apps but this could just be a compatibility issue. For me these snags are annoying to alesser degree than the freezing screen,
Have you had some experience to air and wished that we can bark it on whoever the official tree is?
This update is complete garbage, imo.... Many times a day do I get system errors and force close errors. Performance is sluggish, I prefered the 1.6 home screen to be honest... Dunno dell and rogers need to clean this firmware up. I do wonder how long till the streak goes the way of the axim...
just like to add, the non responsive screen error on this phone drivin me nutz. Lack of chatter bout this phone on this forum leads me to believe people either love it or hate it and gave up on it...