Dell Streak OS update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Dell Streak OS update

Hi everyone,

Thanks for being patient with us while we worked to get you the update. More information is available on:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/927

redstudiobc
I Plan to Stick Around

Good update. Thank you. 

RogersJean
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Dell Streak users will receive an OTA message directing to: 

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_339_14896_32.pkg

This can be accessed using a data plan or through WiFi

You can also push the update to the device:.
Go to Settings -> About Phone -> System Update

Features & benefits of Froyo 2.2:

• Improved performance & memory management
• Enhanced Microsoft Exchange Support
• Adobe Flash™ 10.1
• Dell Mobile Sync powered by Nero™ to manage & sync your media and Outlook contacts with a PC
• Dell Stage User Interface – a set of widgets that allows you to access your data and content right
from the homescreen
• Ability to create portable Wi-Fi hotspot

Enjoy the update!

RogersJean

bladebrown
I've Been Here Awhile

C'mon people where's your common decency?? After the way you all beat up on people like Jean before you got the update now that you have it you can at least give em a thumbs UP!Smiley Mad

jayzap
I've Been Around

Hooorraaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!

alexmoi
I Plan to Stick Around

When i upgraded to streakdroid i had a rogers locked phone without a sim card. Now i have it unlocked with streakdroid 2.2.

As for rogers froyo update. What a joke. Mobile's now are starting to run gingerbread (android 2.3) and by this summer streakdroid will be running ice cream (android 3.0). So getting rogers android 2.2 that is slow or running streakdroid that runs soooooo good at like 4...5 times faster it's not a hard choice.

But i'm am glad that they finally stopped pissing off there warranty loyal customers lol.

P.S. protect your streak get a otterbox 😄

mfranzen
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Alximoi

So the 1.7.0  or for that matter the 1.8.0 that just came out are that much quicker/better then the official dell update from yesterday?

I was about to put the 1.7.0 yesterday, then I seen the 1.8.0 update, and then Smiley Surprised I seen the update from Dell for the 2.2... so I tried the 2.2 as that keeps me under waranty.  I just bought mine the begining of this year, so I am going to try this update for a bit and see how it goes.  Like it so far, but have a couple of issues - probably just software app conflict.

alexmoi
I Plan to Stick Around

well for speed with quadrant benchmark i get around 650 with android 1.6 then i would get more or less 756 with stock 2.2. With 1.7.0 ( haven't took the time to update to 1.8.0 yet) goes between 2435 to about 2600. So i could say it's a difference.

But if you hold to your warranty don't go with streakdroid. Wait the full warranty and mabe by then streakdroid will be past ice cream 😄

P.S. Save your streak get an otterbox

mfranzen
I've Been Here Awhile

Alexmoi

Sounds like a plan for now, but I am thinking of getting Universal Androot, and ROM manager to do some backing up of the whole system, rather then using just mybackup pro (just does the apps - less configurations/settings and data).  I am still not sure what happened, how all of a student my whole system reverted back to original, as I didn't reset Smiley Indifferent

I am spending a lot of time now configuring 80 plus programs, with all their individual settings etc.  Smiley Sad

I guess that would void my warranty also, if they seen the root being modified.  The androot app is suppose to be an app that can switch the root on/off, wonder if I can use that, backup, then just switch it back on, and then install the app?

Just so that I can have a backup image of everything just in case as it is a lot of work/time/effort in setting up all those apps.

alexmoi
I Plan to Stick Around

There are a couple of programs that  temporarily root your phone. Zroot does a good job. It's the one I use. But I used the permanent root.

I'm the type of person that when dell send's me a new pc I format everything and install from fresh. For me it's the fact that when I placed my order for a streak it was advertised as coming pre installed with 2.2. When I got it it was 1.6 and when I talked to a rep they said to call Rogers. Well from there you know there story lol.

My other phone had 2.1 on it. So there was no way I was going with a older OS when it was advertised with 2.2. Funny tho is that 2 days after I complained to dell and Rogers it was now WELL stated that it came with 1.6.

Now I knew that Europe and US had there 2.2 versions and even talk about gingerbread for UK versions. So for me the fact of usefulness vs. Warranty or should I say LIMITED warranty lol wasn't a hard decision. When I installed streakdroid I did not regret it. It's miles ahead of any stock android.

I understand that with all the blogs and comments it can be very overwhelming but you got to understand that android's #1 quality is that it's open source. So while Dell and Rogers have there fingers up there noses, people are fixing all the bugs and adding in things that are needed or useful. For example. I've been looking at this cool "toy" called the ar drone. Well from when it came out it was exclusive to iphone ipad ipod because "as Google says" for some strange reason they can't get android OS to see ad-hoc connections (wifi connection type you need to connect with it).

So if you hold to your limited warranty please don't change OS's. But if you want a very responsive streak with fixes to bugs that the stock android has and extra add on's and let's not forget a 4X speed increase, well it's a no brainer lol.

P.S. Save your streak get an otterbox