Dell Streak OS update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Dell Streak OS update

An update on the beta testing would be appreciated.  How is it going?  Are we looking good for a release soon?

I've Been Around

An update on a timeline would be great indeed. I got my unit on an upgrade expecting it soon... as well i fail to see why self upgrading my phone would be warrenty voiding as android is an open os. As lo ng as were not unlocking it or physically modifing it, warrenty should still hold..

I Plan to Stick Around

In Roger's defense, different phones have different methods for flashing the operating system.  The Dell Streak is quite robust and difficult to "brick" as they call it but many other phones aren't quite so well designed for customization. 

As a result, Rogers can't very well provide different warranties for each individual phone and device they carry.

I'm just curious to how the industry is going to handle the influx of tablets coming in the next six months and how they are going to be upgraded once Android 3.1 rolls around.

I've Been Around

I agree. There reason I moved to Rogers was because of the Dell Streak. Waiting for the update until Spring is just unacceptable.

ROGERS! GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER!!

EVERYONE'S ALREADY MAD AT YOU!

MOBILICITY AND WIND ARE STEALING YOUR CUSTOMERS!

SO ARE TELUS AND BELL!

I've Been Around

I hear a lot of complaining about Rogers slowness to upgrade our Streaks to 2.2 and I guess it's justified. My previous phone was the Rogers HTC Magic and it was upgraded to 2.1 about a year ago so it was a disappointment to have to drop down to 1.6 on the Streak. However, there were only a couple of apps that weren't compatible with the older operating system and I can live with it. 

I would like to pay tribute to one Rogers Customer Relations person. I first ordered my Streak direct from Dell because Rogers stores didn't seem to have them and I hoped to get it faster, plus $50 cheaper, from Dell. Ordered December 7th and according to the Dell emails, shipped December 16th. I didn't think that was bad and didn't expect it before Christmas because of the usual rush and shipping slowdowns.

When it hadn't arrived by mid-January I phoned Dell and the first Customer Service person, while unfailingly polite and apologetic for the delay (as they all were), couldn't find a thing about the order. The second try a couple of days later told me the order was cancelled (not by me!); the third gave me a new order number but pleaded a manufacturing issue that meant a backlog of 200 phones.

Finally in the last week of January I got a recorded telephone message (you can't argue with a mechanical voice!) telling me my phone would ship within 5 days. Sure enough 5 days later another message came on the last day of January telling me the phone was shipped the day before - Sunday. Next Day UPS sent another recorded message that my phone was shipped and would arrive in between 4 and 9 days. It came the next day.

Eagerly I put my Rogers SIM card into my Rogers locked Dell Streak (the only way they sell it in Canada) and it gave me a message that the phone was locked and to enter the unlock code or cancel. Cancel worked, but the SIM card didn't. After trying everything I knew I phoned Dell and the second rep told me very coldly they didn't give out unlock codes. I tried Rogers and they passed me on from one area to another but they couldn't unlock it either...

However, a very nice man named Aziz asked me why I hadn't bought it from them. I told them that it was out of stock and would have cost me a bit more as I wasn't due to an upgraded phone yet. He said, "well if you can return the phone to Dell I can sell you one for $99.99 with no early termination fee, and they are sitting in our office". It was music to my ears.

So I negociated the return with Dell, packed it up and for the first time looked at the packing slip - in a plastic envelope on the outside of the box. In the fine print it said, "United States, AT&T". No wonder it wouldn't recognize my Rogers SIM card! They sent me the wrong phone. Talk about inefficient! I finally took it to the local UPS store, with their pre-paid shipping label on it exactly 2 months after I'd ordered it.

When Aziz phoned me back as arranged I ordered the Rogers Streak. He asked if there was anything more he could do for me and I said, without expecting anything, "well I don't use all my voice minutes, so is there a cheaper plan?". He checked his records and found me one that was about $3.00 cheaper and included voicemail, call display and twice as many text messages. So my features went up and my cost down. I kept the 6 GB for $30 and the contract runs another 3 years. I don't mind that as the package is an unbeatable price at under $70 a month tax included.

So I want to say that Rogers is OK in my book, even if upgrades come slowly. Heck my phone works great on 1.6 and if it will be even better on 2.2 I will be even happier.

The Score: Dell -100, Rogers +100

Leslie Anne Chatterton

I've Been Here Awhile

New to this as I have also been patiently waiting for Rogers/dell to put an update out for my dell streak firmware 1.6, build 7921.  Yesterday, the unit froze up, so I pulled the battery as the power button was unresponsive. When it started back up, it was as I started it the first time I got it, all my apps, data, config was all gone. Smiley Sad

I had about 80 programs installed all individually configured and working great.  One of which was Mybackpro, so I used a recent back-up to reinstall all the apps. Still had to manually go through install for each app (20 minutes +), and with a couple of restarts, everything looked good with the exception of all the individual app configs I would still  to have to redo.  Smiley Sad  

I had also backed up all data selections,  so I did restore on this also... and no problem except when I rebooted, I kept getting a something core error loop, noticed some widgets showed up, but not working on desktop also.  So I then did a hard reset to get it back to clean 1.6  build 7921.

It seems there is a lot of options to update, at the same time appears that any updates will void warranty also so it has been said.

Dell/Rogers keep promising the update to Froyo is around the corner, and less and less apps are not supporting 1.6, 75% supported in Froyo 2.2.

I have been going through several forums and it seem there are several options being a Rogers customer:

saintjonz upgraded with a lot of positive results and seems happy with the upgrade

alexmoi suggested:

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-streak-streak-modaco-com/328923/dell-streak-rogers-1-6-to-us-...

Then to go one step futher: 

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-streak-streak-modaco-com/331584/streakdroid-1-7-0-aka-hd7-edi...

As these Dell streaks are all over, UK, USA, Canada, etc there are a lot of variables with what works and doesn't work... and myself using a Rogers Canadian  version,  it seems the concenses is still to upgrade and read the forums for the fixes if needed.

Is there anyone that has sucssessfully done an upgrade with a standard Canadian Rogers locked phone with firmware 1.6, build 7921,  without resulting major issues using:

The official 2.2_318_00 update package is here (this looks promising as stated in above link):

http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_318_12821_00.pkg

or:

StreakDroid 1.7.0 ( aka HD7 Edition ) - not sure if this is going to work with my particular verison

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-streak-streak-modaco-com/331584/streakdroid-1-7-0-aka-hd7-edi...

Highlighted
I've Been Around

What is the progress on the release of the 2.2 update.  Dell is saying it's Rogers that has to approve the update and Rogers is saying that Dell is working to release the update.  So which is it really????

I've Been Here Awhile

I really would like an answer from Rogers. 1.6 is not acceptable. Would someone from Rogers get back to me on this please. PM something at least. I didn't appreciate tech support telling me I should have bought an Acer
I've Been Here Awhile

Finally!! Downloading it now 😄
I've Been Here Awhile

If you guys check now it should be there, I'm downloading now, 159mb of ABOUT TIME! yay 🙂