Dell Streak OS update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Dell Streak OS update

Exactly Dhillor - i'd try it too except we have paid for a warranty which I don't want to lose,

and I don't want to violate terms of use.

If you google dell streak froyo -  the forums out there show ways of doing it, but its at your own risk for sure. 

I'm going to wait for the official release. I dont have a spare afternoon to waste unbricking a bad update attempt.

I've Been Here Awhile

You might as well wait at this point. Update should be out late Feb early March so it doesn't make sense to risk voiding your warranty doing the update yourself now. The extra 2 months you might gain ain't worth a bricked Streak at least IMO.

The prospect of owning a $500-$600 paper weight doesn't really appeal to me.

I'm Here A Lot

I took the IT support into my own hands and am now running 2.2 and if you realized what you were missing you would use the streak as a paper weight........ It will is sad how gimped the streak is with only 1.6 its like building a super car and throwing a 60kmh limiter in it

I've Been Here Awhile

dhillormac is jealous of kerrgon.  Was it a big deal?  Did it take a long time?  Did you have to buy anything?  Please reveal!

I Plan to Stick Around

I'd be too. Mac User here as well - when i've looked into it - it required using bootcamp/windows

in order to get the job done, not worth buying an OS I won't use for just that. 

Let me know though - curious for sure and congrats kerrgon!

I've Been Here Awhile

Easy to install 2.2 with Steakdroid QDLtool 😉

now i love my Streak 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

I bought my dell streak directly from Dell but locked to Rogers. No way was i gonna stay with 1.6 when Dell was advertising it with 2.2 already installed when i ordered it. I had a previous phone with 2.1. So having such a good phone with 1.6 was so disapointing.

I installed android 2.2 through the QDL tools because all other ways on the net end up not working with the rogers locked streak. Don't ask me why but every single one would not tel anything install. I loved the QDLtool way because after setting up your pc and drivers for the program to accepte your attempt, all you have to do is load the program and then just press RUN. sit back and wait t'il it's done. They even have FAQ section that is very helpful for the problems you will have and how to fix each prob. For MAC users it would be easier to go to a friends place that has win xp all the way up to win 7 with x32 or x64 systemes.

ATTENTION : anybody changing there android OS to anything other than the one furnished by the company is voiding your garanty.

This explanation is for those using there phones with there respective "locked" providers. If anybody using a "certain" unlocking simcard addon will have to add another part to this so it can be used unsing a 2.1 baseband.

After installing the US 2.2 with QDL tools i soon realised it was not as fast as i wanted it to be or was expecting this from a product with so much "guts". So i went on the search and found Streakdroid 1.6.0. It runs 130% faster than the Nexus one running android 2.2 and 175% faster than the motorola droix X. It runs 300% faster than the Dell runing 1.6. This is based upon a couple of benchmarks i tried on versions android 1.6 ....... android 2.2 ....... streakdroid 1.6.0.

On the same page as you find the QDLtools and guides, the last guide will explain how to update to streakdroid. Just make sure your getting the latest version.

As for bricking i was scared when i tried to do, but after you start understanding the way it's done and why, as long as you follow the guides to the letter, it would be very hard to brick your streak.

The Streakdroid 1.6.0 ( witch is the latest one when i wrote this "reply") is android 2.2 on steroids. They do new versions very often to fix problems that the original 2.2 has. They have been talking that they will not make a Gingerbread version (android 2.3) and go strait to Ice cream (android 2.4) coming out in March 2011.

Big things in Android 1.6 gave me headacks. I imagine if this is your first android phone, it must be great and must be fun to play with. Like i said earlier i had an android 2.1 before this. So many things in the 1.6 became irritating. I got used to being able to "pinch" on certain programs witch i had to use the scroll bar in 1.6. Making videos at 720p instead of VGA was eye opening. And also alot of the new programs coming out are 2.1 or higher needed.

Like i said, you void your waranty if you change to an "unofficial" version of android. And just the fact of using ice cream on my streak while other people are probably still waiting for there provider to get there respective fingers out of there noses to upgrade from 1.6 put alot of weight in my choice to take my product in my own hand. But i'm the type of guy to get a pc pre built from dell or hp and completly format all and reinstall all to my likings. All i can do his inform you on the possibilies and hope this helps because then i was looking for stuff about a Rogers dell streak nothing came up.

Have fun 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Exactly.  My streak is now running the latest 2.2 from Dell ... I'm lovin' life and the WAY BETTER Streak experience.

I've Been Here Awhile

Couple other notes,

The dell streak is a great piece of hardware, 1.6 or 2.2.  A lot of the 1.6 layout I preferred to the official 2.2 dell stage.

A couple of great apps I used at 1.6 were:

Cherry Player, you can stream shoutcast, 

NSW player, great all format player plus if you are using tversity to stream media from your computer you can watch it on your phone.

Pulse, news agregator

A couple of hardware things I would recommend if you haven't considered:

A mini bluetooth keyboard (I bought a rii but at ces there was one that had mic and speaker to use as a bt handset)

Ziimote, (needs 2.1+ for a free driver)

Creative D100 set of bt battery powered speakers ($70) reported better sound then Jambox + way cheaper.

Old pair of bt headphones

Otterbox commuter case

Sometime later i'll invest in a pdmi to hdmi adapter + a 3d pico lcd projector, then you can leave me on a desert island for weeks as long as theres wifi or 3g and a source to charge the battery.

1.6 or 2.2 love my streak, however I really hope that rogers would consider opening a beta for new releases of android rather than unintentionally forcing people to wait and stew...  I think it would be progressive, and improve the user experience, plus allow feedback so when official upgrades do roll out the non technical people will have a seamless experience.

peace out streakers, may the streak be with you, or some other nerdy awesomeness

I Plan to Stick Around

love your ending phrase lol

As for the Otter case. It's a must with a streak. The streak is so thin and fragile. People put to much confidence in the gorilla screen. Come on it is made to stop scratches and direct contact. But the case and the lcd screen are still easily breakable when dropped or sat on. The otter case about 1/4 thick rubber and it sticks out farther than the screen so extra protection.

As for the official 2.2 of Rogers. I will never go back to a normal 2.2 when the streakdroid is so much better. Feels like there is actually someone working on making it buggless instead of someone telling you to wait while everybody else is running 2.2 and waiting for 2.3 or in my case 2.4.

Like i always say. To each there own but if you don't worrie about loosing your warranty try out the streakdroid, its so much better in my opinion.