Dell Streak OS update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Dell Streak OS update

I called Dell mobility and they said it will be in the middle of the month and now its february, then spring. holy macaroni!! when will this end im getting tired of waiting while everyone else got their updates. I can't believe why unlocked dell streaks were updated first which specific carriers should have got it first. We are tied up in contracts and we should be getting the service we deserved...by the time we got the updates it will be a new os already and time to renew our contracts. Cmon Rogers. give us the service we deserved...

I Plan to Stick Around

I bought my Streak direct from Dell in Nov. and juste received it last week. During the wait i got promoted at work and that included an 8 months overseas. Called Dell to be told there would be no problem and that rogers will surely help me with my problem. Called rogers to get this VERY arrogant employee that plain told me i shouldn't have bought it in the first place and it clearly states on the site that it's for rogers ONLY. Until that day i was very willing to do service with rogers and have a long relationship with them. All i needed was to be able to use my 600$ phone overseas the time i was there. IT's not like i'm going with one of there competitors overseas lol. So at the end i was plainly told to go buy another phone and live with it because if i wanted to use my dell streak i had no choice to do buisness with them.

Witch now comes to the topic of this blog. I did alot of searching online to see what i can do and found a rebel sim card that makes that i can use my phone overseas with another provider. So i tried it out with my brothers Telus sim card and works perfect. So i went 1 step ferther and upgraded my phone with the overseas version android 2.2 and the phone works like a charm.There is much that is lost with a android 1.6. you even have 720p video with the newer androids on this phone.

So them saying that it's to make sure that there customers have the best experience is a big load of you now what. The phone...the service it all work great. It's rogers famously great customer service that is to blame.

I will never ever ever do business with rogers as long as i live and will tell everyone i know and write on all the blogs my outragous service with there frusterated employees and how they prefer to send potential loyal clients to there competitors.

Until my experience with rogers i always wondered why they had locks on mobile phones. I guess they believe that forcing a client to be with them is alot better than having a loyal one.

I've Been Here Awhile

Sad to hear you got your phone so late. I have  been a Rogers customer for the last 5 years and have had to swap 3 phones (hardware issues) and got 3 upgrades from them, their delivery times were prompt normally getting the phones 2 or 3rd day even though I was told it could take 3 - 5 business days. My cousin in Montreal got his the 2nd day. Very unfortunate that you got your phone so late, it could have been an isolated case where they lost your shipment or something but in my experience where once this happened they dispatched another replacement device and in the end I got both of them and had to return one back.

Normally most providers will give you an unlock code if you have been with them long enough but most North American phones don't work overseas due to different frequency bands and even if they do they are very limited. No 3G or Internet browsing etc. So maybe that's what they implied.

There is no doubt that 2.2 is a lot faster and has so many more features. It's like 2 generations up. Nonetheless the OS and Platforms need thorough testing by carriers before they can be released to the public, if they don' take that route they end up with cranky complaining customers again so from their point of view it's a loose, loose situation and also the extra work creates more overhead for them. Similar to my experience with IPhone upgrades which were pushed hastily by Apple and people ended up with phones randomly restarting, calls dropped, losing signals etc.

With the streak I was reading that even AT&T has delayed their update, only official update and O2 in the UK have released there's. Nonetheless you will find lots of forums loaded with issues on the newer 2.2 and dont even talk about the 2.1 cause that was filled with bugs. Dell has released 3 or 4 minor updates on the 2.2 to deal with these problems.

So in the end it depends do you want a phone that works albeit with older features but is stable or do you want to be updating your phone every now and then and still end up with a partially working phone.

Lastly the reason why they put locks on phones is to protect THEIR asset which they payed for mostly and provided you at a subsidy. Believe it or not using phones on other networks can damage components on your phone not the very minute but in the long run at repeated use. Go look it up if you want. You might not find it on the forums but ask Radio and Electrical engineers they will tell you about the radio clock losing synchronous over time. 

I for one have always had a great experience with Rogers and even though compared to the competition they charge you a premium, in the end you get what you pay for, reliable quality service and peace of mind.

Just my 2 cents 

I Plan to Stick Around

well for starters the Dell streak is exactly the same all over the world. It has the same specs and all.

Secondely the android 2.2 HAS come out on the ATT&T version because it was the one i first upgraded to. I have been runing on the O2 android 2.2 for about 1 week and ahalf and it is great. No bugs at all. And being able to film in 720p..... pinching on web sites.... and a better keyboard does way very much in the process.

As for the reason for the lock. I can see your point on cheap little phones, but on the streak....the HTC and the Nokia N8 that run on many different providers it's kinda hard to pass that comment. Was also informed by Dell when i talked to them that besides the factory locks there is no difference.

I was also informed when i called overseas companies like O2 and orange that any version of the streak will work on there phones with no problem as long as i unlock it.Dell streak runs on GSM : 850...900...1800 and 1900. Rogers frequency is 850 and 1900....telus is the same and when you go overseas it is 900 and 1800 for all of them.

As for the employee at Rogers, kinda hard to miss read his attitude when i explained my situation very politely and as soon as i finished started to talk to me like if i had just told him off in the worst manner. After talking to many people in my surroundings i come to find out i'm not the first to have similar experiences like this with rogers.

But thanx for your "2 cents"

I've Been Here Awhile

well for starters the Dell streak is exactly the same all over the world. It has the same specs and all. >> NO

http://www.gsmarena.com/dell_streak-3353.php

As you can see there are two different versions with 2 DIFFERENT HSDPA RADIOS i.e 3G like I mentioned in my post

Secondely the android 2.2 HAS come out on the ATT&T version because it was the one i first upgraded to. I have been runing on the O2 android 2.2 for about 1 week and ahalf and it is great. No bugs at all. And being able to film in 720p..... pinching on web sites.... and a better keyboard does way very much in the process.

You probably got a leaked version not a final release of AT&T 

http://www.streaksmart.com/2011/01/froyo-ota-update-for-att-locked-dell-streak-delayed-a-couple-more...

Published 1/14/2010  

I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, so for the 3rd time this week, my friend in the UK told me about a great android app on his O2 streak. 

I go to download it, lo and behold : Version 2.0+ required. I'm begging here guys. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Well seems I was misled. Because I was told that the North American version could be used all over the world. So I assumed they were all the same. Didn't realize that the Europe version cannot be used in North America.

My personal use is only for calls and text. When it comes to surfing and data usage, why use 3G data when you have wi-fi and so many wi-fi hot spots everywhere. It's more of a novelty for a mobile with wi-fi to have 3G data.

But if you wish to get into those specifics. The North American streak uses UMTS : 850/1900/2100 and most big UK mobility services use UMTS : 1900/2100. Rogers....Bell and Telus all use the UMTS : 1900.

So I can see your understanding that some Streaks are different and I apologize because I was wrong. But our version is more universal than there's. But at the end of the line like I said to the employee of Rogers. All I want to do is make calls because wi fi hotspots make 3g data usages obsolete.

As for the AT&T version I cannot comment on it because I do not use it anymore. I was using the full official version of O2 android and now using Streakdroid 1.6 that runs about 10 times faster than any version of Android on the market.

As for roger's using the excuse that they have to "test" there system with the 2.2. Come on. Europe has been using 2.2 for close to 1.yr with updates since. Dell states selling there new streaks with 2.2 already installed. And Roger's have known for a very long time they would be selling the streak.

For a phone with so much power and potential and that is proven around the world running 2.2 with great success. Running an obsolete version of Android on one of there most expensive smartphones is basically telling there clients that they don't care about there needs. All the comments about the phone state the phone is great but that the problem is the android version. Even all the problems they are having are related to the version of Android they are using. And this is comments about the Rogers version only.

I ordered my Streak in November being told that I would have 2.2 by xmas. So why is that we are mid January and they still running 1.6 when overseas they are already talking about Gingerbread? Using the excuse of testing to make sure it runs good on system can work for a while but after that people will get tired of waiting and you will at lease have the people on contracts that will be stuck with it.

Well honestly if they get tired of waiting, it's not hard to change versions themselves and still use with Rogers. Even tho I'm a pc tech. I can honestly say that any Joe can do it with a little searching and following the instructions to the letter.

F.Y.I. Anybody getting this phone. I highly suggest purchasing a Otterbox protective case. This phone is so thin and fragile. The otterbox case is about 1/4 inch thick and will protect your phone from dropping and breaking.

I've Been Here Awhile

Well folks, 

I waited as long as I could, but it finally came to this for me:  If we waited this long till Froyo, How long till Gingerbread?  Its really a shame because the difference in the device is huge.  I honestly think there is a couple bugs in Froyo that they are still trying to iron out hence the delay and are not willing to let it out the door on mass, which is a shame for us who like to beta.

Self upgrade difficulty 7/10, attention to detail required 9/10.  Looks like all the bugs at xda are worked out.

PS Rogers IT, still waiting for my first update on my HTC touch circa 2007.

On a side note, ive been following the upgrade since November, wow...  I thought only apple fan boys were selfish t---.  pretty sure we are doomed as a civilization if we freak out over a 2 month delay.  I still remember waiting 2 years for indiana jones and the temple of doom to release to vhs... 

I Plan to Stick Around

Selfish eh?

How about a longtime customer who forked out serious cash and can't get an honest/straight answer. 

Not expecting Gingerbread here or any further updates for that matter (Just the froyo we've been promised for months.)

I'm pretty sure we're doomed as a civilisation if customer service keeps heading downhill.

If we don't complain - nothing will change. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So, has anyone attempted to do the upgrade themselves?  I noticed someone said 7/10 difficulty.  I've pretty tech savvy and would be comfortable doing this myself (rather then wait for eternity for Rogers).  I've looked around but I've only seen bits and pieces ... I rely on the phone, so I cannot risk it being bricked.

Let me know, I'd love to find out!