Degraded LTE: Vancouver

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Degraded LTE: Vancouver

I recently bought an Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE from Future Shop.I live in the LTE 4G coverage area, but I only get speeds of 1.32mpbs download and 0.68mpbs upload? I have a 4G LTE sim. I heard LTE is around 12-25mbps.

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Degraded LTE: Vancouver

Well, first of all do you have an LTE plan? Second do you see lte displayed by your signal meter? How many bars do you see in the meter?

I've Been Around

Re: LTE in Vancouver?

I recently got a Samsung Galaxy S2 lte and have been having issues trying to get "proper" lte speeds. 

I usually get 2-3mbps down when running speedtest. This is really rather underwhelming. 

I found that if i remove my battery for a few minutes or I turn the phone's radio off and then back on I will get lte speeds for a short while, a few minutes to a few hours. After that it just reverts back to the 2-3mbps that is typicaly what I have been getting.

Looking on other forums I haven’t see this issue anywhere else but in the Greater Vancouver area. I also have a coworker with the same phone experiencing the same issues.

Has anyone else ran into this or maybe have a solution?

I've Been Around

I have this exact same problem. Speed tests while on LTE are normally around 2.5mbps, except after yanking battery or turning off modem/turning it back on, when I achieve 18-32mbps for a little while.

Some interesting notes:

-When LTE speeds are really slow, speed tests start around 10mbps or so, but drop sharply after the first second or so down to around 2-3mbps for the rest of the test.

-Signal strength seems to have no effect on the speeds at all when they are slow. I get the 2-3mbps whether at one bar on LTE or 5 bars. Signal strength does make a difference when speeds are normal (after pulling battery or restarting modem), with one bar its around 20mbps and with 4-5 bars it's around 30mbps.

-Upload speeds, even when speeds are slow, are still around 8-12mbps. So the slowness seems to only be affecting download speeds.

-Pings are around 35-65 regardless of whether speeds are slow or not. The ping seems to be unaffected by this issue.

Issue started a couple days after getting my phone, and has persisted since. I spoke to Roger's support, who told me they couldn't do anything about it and it was because the network was becoming crowded. She had me turn off my phone and do a reset on her end (whatever that is), and it fixed the issue for maybe 30 minutes before speeds slowed down again.

I've Been Around

Hello everyone,

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE

1.  Speed.

Is anyone having problems with the LTE network in Vancouver??? I have been in touch with tech since the first day I got the phone, its speeds are 2.5mb/sec dl and 8-10mb/sec upload.  

I have changed sim cards twice and also the phone!  Techs and Cust service are giving me the run around that their network is not established yada yada... others are saying I dont have some codes that are needed... and apparently I have all codes needed for the LTE network..... then some techs are saying that they don't guarantee good speeds indoors...... the funniest one is a tech told me I have to be close to a communication LTE tower, be outside, and not be moving around........

Anyone also expereiencing this problem...... I have called them everyday for 24days.... cant get this resolved.....

2.  Phone breaking in and out.....

I can hear people clearly but people on the other end can hear my sound muffled... and it keeps breaking out as though I am lifting my phone away from the phone talking.... like a speaker phone...

I hope there are others that could relate to this problem.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Had an emergency yesterday, was on the phone with my vet, signal drops all of the sudden. Lucky I had my Telus Nexus. Signal is still dropped today. Did a reset, nothing. Can't even dial 911 if I had a real emergency.

Unrooted, untouched Rogers Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE. Signal dropped in downtown Vancouver.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Achilles,

are you still having issues?

RogersDarrell

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@RogersDarrell wrote:

Hi Achilles,

are you still having issues?

RogersDarrell

Sorry for the late reply RogersDarrell.

It was a one time only issue which lasted 2 hours~ right now everything is flawlessly. Thanks!