Defrag Hard Disk

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Defrag Hard Disk

Okay, since I've discovered that people here actually seem to know what they're talking about, here's one for you.

We returned from an extended trip and had 172 recordings, all in SD (to stay within capacity).  I reprogrammed to record henceforth in HD but we watched the earlier recorded shows first, not necessarily in order of recording.  As each old show was erased, I figure this freed up a small amount of space.  After a while, I'd presumably have a checkerboard of freed space, being filled in by new HD programs, cut up into little bits all over the place.  Classic fragmented disk.

Is there some kind of secret defrag function?  Is this perhaps something that happens automatically when the PVR gets rebooted?  Or is this a total non-issue that I shouldn't worry about?

I have had some strange happenings.  Occasionally there is a program allegedly recorded but there's only about 1 minute there.  Other times a program is recorded in pieces, e.g., 23 minutes, then another entry of 1 minute, then 2 minutes, then 35, etc.  There's a message in red on each one stating that the program stopped early or started late due to data unavailable, or something like that.  Happens a lot with NFL games and also with . 's Kitchen.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Defrag Hard Disk

HDD Defrag. To defrag drive:
Set unit's MAIN/PIP channels to non-bufferable channels, such as music channel, so that drive is not being used.
Wait a few moments to verify hard disk activity stops (listen).
Press Power on front to turn the unit off, then wait.
Drive should start defragging after about 5 minutes of inactivity.
NOTE: Process can take several hours to all day and will restart if content is deleted or power down sequence is repeated. For maximum efficiency, consider turning off unit, then do a front panel soft reboot (VOL-, VOL +, INFO) and leave unit powered off until you hear it go into defrag mode. Then just leave it off while you go to work, to bed, etc.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The split recordings are a common problem with a lot of people. One cause is simsubbing. Last week my recording of 2 1/2 Men on Monday was split into two pieces. The split was in the first commercial break so no loss of program but.... the first piece of the show has a CBS eye logo and the second piece has a CTV logo. Rogers must have done the simsub late and for a moment the channel was unavailable. The recordings state show ended early program not available and show started late program not available. One solution is to record the show on the Canadian channel. There is also a lot of information available on the digital forum site: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I Plan to Stick Around

Great info but,

"NOTE: Process can take several hours to all day"

may be a problem.  I record shows at 4 am, 9 am and 2 pm and of course watch in the evening.

Would I be correct in assuming that the process is a lot faster if there is less recorded?  In fact, would be almost instantaneous if there are no saved programs?  Is there also an automatic disk scan as part of it?

I'm a Senior Advisor

yep on a more empty HDD the process is much faster. Also if you have a recording scheduled it will interrupt the process and it will start again later...
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for all the info Chris.

(1) Where do you find out the info that, for example, Vol-, Vol+, Info is a soft reboot? I'v enot seen it n any user guides that I've found on the web.

(2) Is there a difference between Power Off via the remote and Power Off on the unit's front panel? Instructions often seem to be so explicit about using Power Off on the font panel.

I too expereince the super-annoying spin up / spin down. I just revived my old 8300 after my Panasonic quit giving me TV Guide. I've erased all the recorded programs and  removed all scheduling. I am now defragging (I hope). I can't say that I hear any distinctive defragging sound. I should know by morning and will post success/failure.

Thanks.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Shadow I found it out on AVS forums. It was probably found out by someone who makes the software, posting the info or just people playing with the box trying to get it to do other things.

I don't think there is a difference between the remote power button and the one on the pannel, I think the instructions are because doing the soft reboot needs to be done on the box so the rest of the instructions just assume your sitting on the floor beside it Smiley Happy
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Great info. 

Does this also defrag the add-on (USB) hard drive or just the internal HD.  If so, guess that could really add to the defrag time.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm guessing it does both.. But really I have no idea...