cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DataSense

bilzkh
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers, may I request that you seriously consider enabling Data Sense on your Windows Phone devices.

It is an OS component of Windows Phone that enables users to track data usage, but in addition, search for nearby areas with Wi-Fi, ensure that browser use doesn't heavily eat into data, etc.

This, in addition to enabling proper Visual Voicemail on WP (also integrated into the OS) would make WP8 handsets on Rogers fully functional. Not only that, but it would also put Rogers ahead of carriers worldwide (not that already isn't) in the level of WP support, especially in Canada.

Thank you!

****Edited Labels****

38 REPLIES 38

Re: DataSense

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello bilzkh

As I explained in the other thread, Rogers will say " we can look into this. Thank you" but in all reality they never look into it. Rogers is losing its ways of gaining new customers. They only seem to care about Money and how their image looks. Customers can always complain and want something yet Rogers seems not to care or take us serious.

I would love to see DataSense and VVM on the WP8. Rogersd let's get going here. No more excuses and no more " we can look into it". Its about time you do something instead of excuses..

I fully agree with the post above. I recently upgraded to the Lumia 920 as well and my data usage went through the roof, eventhough I'm in wifi zones most of the time (work and home). We really need an app that tells us what the major offenders are in terms of data usage, and Data Sense was developed just for that.

So come on Rogers. Stop restricting your customers and listen to them.

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

We should turn this into a PETITION for DataSense AND Visual Voice Mail!!

Sign me up!!

/drt

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Helo drtolson

We saw how the last Lumia 920 Color Petition went. Rogers never seemed to care & only posted once saying the same thing they say to people over on Facebook & twitter. Really a petition is not needed as Rogers does not seem to care. , Rogers wants us as customers right? Then how about we leave & go with another carrier. That is when they will start listening when most of us leave.

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix wrote:
Helo drtolson

We saw how the last Lumia 920 Color Petition went. Rogers never seemed to care & only posted once saying the same thing they say to people over on Facebook & twitter. Really a petition is not needed as Rogers does not seem to care. , Rogers wants us as customers right? Then how about we leave & go with another carrier. That is when they will start listening when most of us leave.

Good point... do Telus or Bell have WP8 phones running DataSense or VVM???  (I don't know, I'll have to check)...

/drt

pulkit10
I Plan to Stick Around

At this point, no carieer in the world has DataSense working (not even AT&T). Verizon is supposed to be the first one to turn it on (which should be shortly or maybe they already did) so you'll have to wait and see how it goes. I'm certain if AT&T gets on board, Rogers will follow suit.

However, there is a part of me that thinks that Rogers might not turn this on because it kind of cuts into its own services (checking data usage, finding hot spots etc). It could partner with Microsoft for it but I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello pulkit10

That could be correct. They may not do it as it does interfear with their own services. Who knows tho. I wouldn't hoid my breath tho with Rogers. They never had done anything right so far.

bilzkh
I Plan to Stick Around

True that Data Sense is only on Verizon (or will be soon), and also true that adding Data Sense would potentially run against the interest of having people use more of their data. That said, Rogers can bundle Data Sense as part of a higher-tier data and voice plan, e.g. 1GB+, or perhaps offer it as an extra service for a fee. Though, we are spending a lot on our monthly plans, I believe we are entitled to full premium service and privileges given how much we pay... Not having Data Sense, or at least, proper VVM is incredibly unfortante given how much we spend per month, for 3-years no less.

pulkit10
I Plan to Stick Around

@ blizh: I agree completely. It sucks paying inflated prices (the recently updated plans are ludicurious) and still being screwed over.

I'd rather not have them charge me a premium fee to use something already included in the phone. That is ridiculous. Google built a similar management system into 4.0 and that works great without Rogers having to get on board - Microsoft should do something similar instead of leaving things to carriers who really only put their own interests over mine.
 It is a pity though since helping find hotspots will only help the carriers (who provide those services anyway).

bilzkh
I Plan to Stick Around

Even older Nokia Lumia phones (like my 710) have the Counters app to track data usage live, albeit lacks Wi-Fi searching.

On the bright side, it seems Rogers decided to put in additional colours for the Lumia 920...I hope it was because of the petition, I strongly hope they consider enabling proper Visual Voicemail and Data Sense on their WP8 devices. I've been on this carrier since 2010, paying somewhere between $75 to $125 a month (depending on my plan), and even upgraded early to renew my 3-year contract. For God's sake, have some token appreciation for your customers and make sure their phones are fully operable (relative to their OS capabilities). You know WP8 has Visual Voicemail and Data Sense baked into the OS, just enable it.

Entegy
I Plan to Stick Around

While I want these features, it's not a simple matter of "enabling" it, but a matter of creating infrastructure to support it. How compatible is VVM on WP8 with the implementation for iPhone? Is it at all? Microsoft and Rogers have to work together for DataSense to work.

And sadly, the business case is WP probably doesn't have marketshare to justify the cost. On the other hand, a carrier that does build these out has an advantage and something to say "we have, <competitior> doesn't! Come here WP users!"

Night_Shadow
I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting enough Bell notes DataSense on their Windows Phone page but they only care the HTC and Samsung models. Think I will have to look into unlocking my phone and move to Bell. Not a problem for me as I do not have a contract with Rogers.

Night_Shadow
I Plan to Stick Around

Just confirmed Bell does offer DataSense on Windows Phone 8 devices. Looks like I will be moving my Lumia 920 to them.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
I can confirm as well Bell has DataSense. It seems Rogers either does not want to enable it or they do not want it as Rogers has the My Rogers app. The problem is that they should enabled it tho.

Entegy
I Plan to Stick Around

@Night_Shadow wrote:

Just confirmed Bell does offer DataSense on Windows Phone 8 devices. Looks like I will be moving my Lumia 920 to them.

Okay, but then you have to *shudder* deal with Bell.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Entegy

That is true BUT remember, they at least have the apps that Rogers does not want.

Night_Shadow
I Plan to Stick Around

And their service is $20/month less (without promotions) for almost the same service. Okay, only 100MB a month but I use WiFi most of the time and with the exception of one month I have never come close to 200MB.

bilzkh
I Plan to Stick Around

Interestingly enough it seems Bell with less prolific devices, and probably a smaller WP user base, and yet they're supporting Data Sense. Come on Rogers, pleading for quality service here, Data Sense (and Visual Voicemail).

Night_Shadow
I Plan to Stick Around

It gets even better. Rogers charges $50.00 to unlock a phone (and I have purchased 2 from them in the last year at full cost) while I can get it done elsewhere for 40-45. And if you call their support for answers to the lack of DataSense they tell you that it is a problem for Nokia (we all know it is not). If we cannot get support from Rogers on our OS then why stay with them? They don't even know what is going on in the forums to understand what we are talking about when we call in.

bilzkh
I Plan to Stick Around

For what it's worth, I think Bell's commitment to Windows Phone is less than Rogers. I mean, just look at how promptly Rogers rolls out our updates, so credit to them. But with that in mind, Rogers must continue working to ensure that they are a Canadian's first choice for mobility, and that includes customer retention. I get it, there aren't as many Windows Phone users with Rogers, but I doubt there are substantially more in Bell (in fact, I'm sure there are less), and yet Bell is following through with Data Sense.

I will keep asking Rogers here for VVM and Data Sense, and will do so until I am sure these services work on Rogers devices migrated over to other carriers, by which point I will take my business there. Until then, Rogers has a chance to get serious.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 12 in conversation