Data vs. Web Browsing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Data vs. Web Browsing

Could someone tell me the difference between Data and Web Browsing? I have a 2 year old plan with unlimited web browsing on a non-data phone (so I was told).

Looking at an early upgrade from Loyalty to a newer Razr phone with my current contract "grand-fathered" in. This means I still have unimited web browsing, but was told I didn't need a "data plan" to use this phone for web browsing even though I believe it's a Data phone.

Very confused.....

Thanks,

bill

****Edited Labels****

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Data vs. Web Browsing

Hmm I'm not sure. But I beleive the way older phones accessed the net, is different than the newer smart phones. Personally I don't think that plan would work on it.

I would call and see if you can talk to someone else to confirm.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Would Rogers send me a hard copy of that agreement if I requested it? Would like to have it before I run up a $1000 data bill!!

bill

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure but you could ask. It's not really an agreement as plan details.
On a plan, you have to have data enabled, period. If you have a pan that does not have regular data, you can not use hose functions as all. This is my understanding.
So if you grandfathered that plan, and nothing worked, it would be that the browser uses regular data (doesn't differentiate as 'mobile browsing'), but nothing else should work either (can't have it pull emails etc).

Truthfully, I don't think it will work, but I could be wrong.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Will know for sure in a week!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well GDkitty,

you are correct! It was a big FAIL !

That old plan is useless on the new Data phone! I was told otherwise before the upgrade.

Back to the old phone I guess!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, even though you are on a contract, you dont HAVE to stay on that plan.

Though, some of the current plans, may not have the same features/deals/prices as that one.  you would have to look and compare.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Problem is....to add Data or reconfigure to my current plan makes it more expensive than other Mobile providers with similar plans. At a crossroad right now with this mess!

I'm Here A Lot

Ill try and help clear things up.

Data and Web Browsing:

It should be really called "WAP" Browsing but in short, Web and Data are COMPLETELY different.

Rogers "Web" Browsing is limited to a WAP browser. Wap is short for Wireless Application Protocol. My old razr v3 had a wap browser.

The reason rogers offers unlimited web browsing cause WAP uses next to no data. Im also pretty sure your limited to a certain amount of sites using rogers WAP Portal.

Data Browsing is like normal browsing you do on the internet using internet explorer or google chrome, your using a HTTP protocol and will use ALOT of data in comparison to WAP.

On WAP you might of noticed there were little to no images and most sites only had text.

In short, your grand-fathered unlimited web browsing will NOT work with a Android/iPhone/Smartphone Device.

I actually almost jumped ship to FIDO with that $56 plan but rogers has matched it so i've decided to stay 😃

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i thought it always was called WAP browsing? anyways it makes sense to me on-device browsing, ie means no email client, no you tube app, no other apps, only stuff accessed via the browser is allowed. there actually was a time before smart phones existed, guess what? this is the plan people uesd before they had data plans.