Data top ups

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersMaude

Re: Data top ups

Good evening @guest8,

Welcome to the Forums!

Share Everything customers receive an interactive SMS (iSMS) which will guide them to purchase more temporary data buckets when approaching their monthly plan’s data limit.

Is it the first time you try to add a Data Top-up?

Did you make sure your plan was compatible?

Only the primary line on a Share Everything plan will receive the text message containing the link to purchase the add-on.  If you think you’ll need more data long term, we can certainly talk about changing your plan.

Do you have an account reimbursed by your employer or as a part of a corporate account/deal?

If you might have opted out of the notifications, it might be why you didn't get the iSMS.

Please, text the words “OPTIN” to short code 3339 to opt back in.

RogersMaude

Carmari23
I've Been Here Awhile

I woukd like to add the Data Top Ups to my account. I received the message but when I replied "2" to add 1GB of data, it says error and please contact. How do I add the data top ups to my accoubt?
veitch
I've Been Around

Is there a way to proactively top-up?  It seems I don't always get the text message & sometimes I know I am going to need some extra data.

RogersZia

Hi @veitch,

Welcome to the Community 🙂

We currently do not have a process in place for customers to proactively top up the data.

The Data Top-Up iSMS are sent right after the 90% data notification alert are sent. You mentioned that you sometimes don't receive the text message, how often does that happen? Data Top-Up alert is only sent to the primary line, do you have more than one user on your plan? Additionally, when a priceplan is changed in the middle of the billing cycle  you won't receive notifications or be eligible for Top-Up offers until next bill cycle.

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

qwertytoronto
I've Been Around

Data Top Up with Roam like Home

Hello,

For users who are opted into Roam Like Home, are we able to use a data top up when traveling overseas? I would like to understand if this extends the data plan like usual until the end of the billing cycle. Thank you for your time and look forward to a response.

RogersMaude

Hello @qwertytoronto,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your post!

Making sure you're covered for the usage you'll be making while traveling is key in order to stay connected Smiley Wink

Data Top-ups lets you purchase temporary data buckets when approaching your data limit. Good news! The data stays on your account until the end of the billing cycle, even while roaming.

Please note that the usage made on an oversea carrier might not be reflected right away in your data manager, on MyRogers. Therefore, keeping track of it is key. Need more? No worries! Simply text the word DATA to 222.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Question:  when doing a data top up via 222, does it then provide option to choose top up level.

Plus, is the top up only permissible by the primary holder, or all.  This question applies only to share everything plans, as in my case on non-share, individual the holder does it.

Bruce

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @BS,

That's a good question! You can find the answers to your queries about data top-ups, HERE

Hope this helps!

Enjoy your weekend BS.

RogersCilio

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @RogersCilio 

Just the information I needed - one of the better FAQ's I have run into - very clear and detailed. No surprises come from reading that one straight through and that I love.

And you have a good weekend too.

I have bookmarked that link - very usefull.

My compliments to the writer of that one.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, we did our first data top up ever, but the first time was on the new model.

Here is the method - in our case, we choose option A for what I will suggest is a misleading name for this now.

A 300 mb recurring data top up.  It would be better described as a recurring add on data plan, as functionally, if that is all you do, that is what it is, like the data add-ons of past where you could add or remove as you chose and it had nothing to do with your plan.

So, we to 7 days of an extra 300 mb to end of billing period, and if left alone, it would have charged us on the 8th day and gave it again.

I can see a few people getting caught, say doing a top up a few days before the end after they get the warnings, and then forgetting to send CANCEL to 222 to cancel the recurring "plan" or "top ups"

The cautious person I am, I called in to confirm out CANCEL was done and it was.

You will get a notification in your email of wireless service change showing an increase in your add-ons by 10.00 effective the date you did it.

They give you advise on how to monitor your data by going to the MyRogers app or website.

No mention on the confirmation of recurring, it is called a monthly data top up effective that date.

There is reference to learning more through your terms of service, now attached (it comes with every confirmation of change now - although in my experience, not always - I have been dealing with not receiving the critical summary document due to a "glitch", that backend staff are working with after 5 weeks now.

So expect that document to come, the confirmation, the terms, and the critical details summary (Rogers chooses to name it otherwise as the Key Order Information Details, and the expains:

"Now, understanding your Rogers wireless acount is easier than ever. This document serves as you Critical Information Summary (the CRTC official term - passive resistance anyone? LOL), and outlines the most important elements of your recent transaction for wireless services.

By the way, if you are getting the same docs for home services, for Cable in particular, it will include your channel summary.

Again, nowhere does it mention anywhere that this is recurring - it  calls it an ad-on monthly service fee, so if youd didn't get the notice in your text messages a while back from Rogers, or forgot, you may not realize that you will get billed for this top up, which is no longer one time, it is recurring.  You need to CANCEL by sending CANCEL to 222 as a text.

This information is in the notification that you receive when you get close to your limits - we got one at 75% and 92% (due to delay in reporting data to our phone of usage).

You can OPT-OUT of these notice - I strongly recommend you don't - the full details are in there on those notices, and this TOP UP system has changed at least 4 times in one year.

First was to reduce one time top ups to 300 only, and make 1GB 2 GB and 3GB recurring with reaquirement to cancel.

Then prices were changed and amounts changed, now at 1.5.

The first update on the support documents was confusing on how the CANCEL and OPT-OUT worked.

I would guess the OPT-OUT was put in to place for those with the WI-FI modems who had their Internet shutting off at certain points, and they then needed to call in.

Many of these changes I suspect were driven by the $50.00 max on overages and Rogers said they couldn't meet this by technical requirement by last December, so had until March 31 to do it, so we see those recent changes.

Guess they adjusted the system to meet the CRTC wireless code, but played around with pricing while they were at it, and limits on max times you can set these up also keep away from the 50.00 max, you are now choosing to go over, but they did set max number you can do.  Just my guess,

It is a pain, but get used to ifyou want to top up, then immediately send cancel so you don't forget, you can always set it up again, the next time you need to. or keep it running say if you need to.  But if you are doing recurring top ups, you may want to look at different plans.

I would expect there may be some confused customers calling in who use this rarely and don't really understand it, and possibilty getting a courtesy education credit one time - never hurts to ask, and for sure, this change is dramatic from the past norm, naming and practices.  Kind of like the changes in Pay as you go, that people are still trying to figure out.

Just thought I would pass on our experience.  This is definitely, know your plans and how they work before you use them.  The detail is all in the text message, read it, and if you don't undertand, call in or chat and get clarification on the way to do the one time / not recurring - by sending the CANCEL after you are done.

Bruce