cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data top ups

jackthecompguy
I'm a Regular

These new "data top ups" look and sound nice. But i've some questions

-What are the tiers and pricing of the topups (I know you can use a max of 3 per billing cycle)

-Are small business accounts eligible (I am on a ShareEverything16GB loyalty plan from the small business side)

-Can data top ups apply to usage incurred whilst roaming on the Roam Like Home package? IE if I run out of data whilst abroad can I apply a data top up same as if I would back in Canada? This is where it would be most beneficial to me.

Cheers all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Data top ups

Hello @jackthecompguy,

Thank you for your inquiry, I am confident this information will help other users as well.

The text messages sent are to give you 2 options to extend your data at small cost to help you stay in control of your data charges. The choices of Data Top-Ups are, either 300 MB for $7, or 1GB for $15.

You will only be able to use this option a maximum of 3 times per billing cycle. If you’re using more data, take a look at your account to see if there is plan that better suits your needs.

The Data Top-Up total that you selected will be reflected on your account or MyRogers after midnight of the day the extra data was purchased. You simply have to log in to your online profile or to the MyRogers app in to continue to check your usage!

Unfortunately, Business accounts are not yet compatible with Data Top-Ups.

EDIT: Regarding Roam Like Home, it actually converts your Canadian plan to the country you're visiting. Therefore, if you Top-Up, the additional data will count towards the amount you can use, even while traveling.

Please note that the usage made outside of the Rogers network might take a bit more time before it's reflected on MyRogers.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

RogersCorey

Good morning jackthecompguy,

In order to get full assistance with your small business plan, please follow this link here: http://www.rogers.com/small-business/contact-us

We are only able to directly assist consumer accounts via this forum. If you click the link above, you'll be presented with multiple contact options and you can choose the best one for you.

RogersCorey

I realise you might not be able to answer questions specific to my account but I am still curious on the other general questions about top ups, especially since I switched to a consumer plan today 😉

Hello @jackthecompguy,

Thank you for your inquiry, I am confident this information will help other users as well.

The text messages sent are to give you 2 options to extend your data at small cost to help you stay in control of your data charges. The choices of Data Top-Ups are, either 300 MB for $7, or 1GB for $15.

You will only be able to use this option a maximum of 3 times per billing cycle. If you’re using more data, take a look at your account to see if there is plan that better suits your needs.

The Data Top-Up total that you selected will be reflected on your account or MyRogers after midnight of the day the extra data was purchased. You simply have to log in to your online profile or to the MyRogers app in to continue to check your usage!

Unfortunately, Business accounts are not yet compatible with Data Top-Ups.

EDIT: Regarding Roam Like Home, it actually converts your Canadian plan to the country you're visiting. Therefore, if you Top-Up, the additional data will count towards the amount you can use, even while traveling.

Please note that the usage made outside of the Rogers network might take a bit more time before it's reflected on MyRogers.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

Perfect! Thank you. Do data top ups apply whilst roaming in a roam like home country??

And to confirm, data top up text messages are only sent to the primary line, correct?

Last month, I received a text message offering Data Top-Ups options: 300 MB for $7, or 1GB for $15. I was almost over my data limit ( 5 days before data resets back ) So I opt for the 300 MB for $7 on July 20 and when I checked my total data, it added the extra 300 MB. So that was good.  Now it says it will expire on July 25 - which is correct as my usage resets every 26th of the month. So for the month of July, I expect to pay for my usual monthly plan + $7.00 for the extra 300 MB.

On July 26, my usage resets. However, I notice that the data top up of 300 MB is now as an extra to my monthly plan and it expires August 25. Am I now going to be charged additional $7.00 each month from now on? How can I take out this 300 MB data top up as I don't think I will be needing it unless I go over my data limit again - which is rare. Or is the data top up of 300MB there but if I don't go over my usual data limit that I won't get charged the top up fee? Pls. advise. 

Good day @ofkors,

I truly hope you were able to get this sorted since you last posted!

Would it be possible that the charges related to your Monthly Service Fee covered the period from the 26th of July to the 25th of August, and that timeframe is not relate to the specific fee for the data add-on?

Was there only one amount of $7 billed to your latest invoice for the data add-on?

If you purchased the data-on on the 21st of July, it is normal that the one time fee appears on that bill as it was produced on the 26th.

Please update the Community on the outcome! Smiley Wink

I apologize for the late reply @jackthecompguy Smiley Embarassed

The text message notification is indeed sent to the main line of the shared plan!

RogersMaude

Thanks for the reply @RogersMaude

• Got my July bill and I was changed $7.00 + tax for the period Jun 26 - Jul 25. I expected this - so no issues here.
  • If I go to MyRogers - Overview and check my phone plan, I remember seeing a $7.00 data top up displayed for Jul 26 - Aug 25 period ... but aha! today, I checked again and it is no longer showing.
  • So I think there's a bug on the website. When I checked last time, I don't have my July bill yet. Now that I see my July bill, this is no longer an issue. So hurray!

Issue resolved. So if one avails for a data top up, it is only applicable to that period. Next billing period, that data top will no longer apply.

Note: Someone has to check the MyRogers - wireless page as I swear I saw Jul 26 - Aug 25 which was misleading and led me to post here. Thank you.

Hello again @ofkors,

Thank you so much for taking the time to update the Community on the outcome.

We're glad to hear that it is resolved! 

I'm confident this will reassure other users in the same situation Smiley Wink

Cheers!

RogersMaude

guest8
I've Been Around

The data top up does not work form the phone and I won't want to be charged additional data for going to the link.  Just viewing that page there is nothing readily available on how to request the top up online.  I've searched online nothing.

Error: We are unable to process your request at this time.  For assistance you may reach us at rog.ers/reachus

Good evening @guest8,

Welcome to the Forums!

Share Everything customers receive an interactive SMS (iSMS) which will guide them to purchase more temporary data buckets when approaching their monthly plan’s data limit.

Is it the first time you try to add a Data Top-up?

Did you make sure your plan was compatible?

Only the primary line on a Share Everything plan will receive the text message containing the link to purchase the add-on.  If you think you’ll need more data long term, we can certainly talk about changing your plan.

Do you have an account reimbursed by your employer or as a part of a corporate account/deal?

If you might have opted out of the notifications, it might be why you didn't get the iSMS.

Please, text the words “OPTIN” to short code 3339 to opt back in.

RogersMaude

Carmari23
I've Been Here Awhile
I woukd like to add the Data Top Ups to my account. I received the message but when I replied "2" to add 1GB of data, it says error and please contact. How do I add the data top ups to my accoubt?

veitch
I've Been Around

Is there a way to proactively top-up?  It seems I don't always get the text message & sometimes I know I am going to need some extra data.

Hi @veitch,

Welcome to the Community 🙂

We currently do not have a process in place for customers to proactively top up the data.

The Data Top-Up iSMS are sent right after the 90% data notification alert are sent. You mentioned that you sometimes don't receive the text message, how often does that happen? Data Top-Up alert is only sent to the primary line, do you have more than one user on your plan? Additionally, when a priceplan is changed in the middle of the billing cycle  you won't receive notifications or be eligible for Top-Up offers until next bill cycle.

Hope this helps!

RogersZia

Data Top Up with Roam like Home

Hello,

For users who are opted into Roam Like Home, are we able to use a data top up when traveling overseas? I would like to understand if this extends the data plan like usual until the end of the billing cycle. Thank you for your time and look forward to a response.

Hello @qwertytoronto,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your post!

Making sure you're covered for the usage you'll be making while traveling is key in order to stay connected Smiley Wink

Data Top-ups lets you purchase temporary data buckets when approaching your data limit. Good news! The data stays on your account until the end of the billing cycle, even while roaming.

Please note that the usage made on an oversea carrier might not be reflected right away in your data manager, on MyRogers. Therefore, keeping track of it is key. Need more? No worries! Simply text the word DATA to 222.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Question:  when doing a data top up via 222, does it then provide option to choose top up level.

Plus, is the top up only permissible by the primary holder, or all.  This question applies only to share everything plans, as in my case on non-share, individual the holder does it.

Bruce

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @BS,

That's a good question! You can find the answers to your queries about data top-ups, HERE

Hope this helps!

Enjoy your weekend BS.

RogersCilio

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @RogersCilio 

Just the information I needed - one of the better FAQ's I have run into - very clear and detailed. No surprises come from reading that one straight through and that I love.

And you have a good weekend too.

I have bookmarked that link - very usefull.

My compliments to the writer of that one.

Bruce

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, we did our first data top up ever, but the first time was on the new model.

Here is the method - in our case, we choose option A for what I will suggest is a misleading name for this now.

A 300 mb recurring data top up.  It would be better described as a recurring add on data plan, as functionally, if that is all you do, that is what it is, like the data add-ons of past where you could add or remove as you chose and it had nothing to do with your plan.

So, we to 7 days of an extra 300 mb to end of billing period, and if left alone, it would have charged us on the 8th day and gave it again.

I can see a few people getting caught, say doing a top up a few days before the end after they get the warnings, and then forgetting to send CANCEL to 222 to cancel the recurring "plan" or "top ups"

The cautious person I am, I called in to confirm out CANCEL was done and it was.

You will get a notification in your email of wireless service change showing an increase in your add-ons by 10.00 effective the date you did it.

They give you advise on how to monitor your data by going to the MyRogers app or website.

No mention on the confirmation of recurring, it is called a monthly data top up effective that date.

There is reference to learning more through your terms of service, now attached (it comes with every confirmation of change now - although in my experience, not always - I have been dealing with not receiving the critical summary document due to a "glitch", that backend staff are working with after 5 weeks now.

So expect that document to come, the confirmation, the terms, and the critical details summary (Rogers chooses to name it otherwise as the Key Order Information Details, and the expains:

"Now, understanding your Rogers wireless acount is easier than ever. This document serves as you Critical Information Summary (the CRTC official term - passive resistance anyone? LOL), and outlines the most important elements of your recent transaction for wireless services.

By the way, if you are getting the same docs for home services, for Cable in particular, it will include your channel summary.

Again, nowhere does it mention anywhere that this is recurring - it  calls it an ad-on monthly service fee, so if youd didn't get the notice in your text messages a while back from Rogers, or forgot, you may not realize that you will get billed for this top up, which is no longer one time, it is recurring.  You need to CANCEL by sending CANCEL to 222 as a text.

This information is in the notification that you receive when you get close to your limits - we got one at 75% and 92% (due to delay in reporting data to our phone of usage).

You can OPT-OUT of these notice - I strongly recommend you don't - the full details are in there on those notices, and this TOP UP system has changed at least 4 times in one year.

First was to reduce one time top ups to 300 only, and make 1GB 2 GB and 3GB recurring with reaquirement to cancel.

Then prices were changed and amounts changed, now at 1.5.

The first update on the support documents was confusing on how the CANCEL and OPT-OUT worked.

I would guess the OPT-OUT was put in to place for those with the WI-FI modems who had their Internet shutting off at certain points, and they then needed to call in.

Many of these changes I suspect were driven by the $50.00 max on overages and Rogers said they couldn't meet this by technical requirement by last December, so had until March 31 to do it, so we see those recent changes.

Guess they adjusted the system to meet the CRTC wireless code, but played around with pricing while they were at it, and limits on max times you can set these up also keep away from the 50.00 max, you are now choosing to go over, but they did set max number you can do.  Just my guess,

It is a pain, but get used to ifyou want to top up, then immediately send cancel so you don't forget, you can always set it up again, the next time you need to. or keep it running say if you need to.  But if you are doing recurring top ups, you may want to look at different plans.

I would expect there may be some confused customers calling in who use this rarely and don't really understand it, and possibilty getting a courtesy education credit one time - never hurts to ask, and for sure, this change is dramatic from the past norm, naming and practices.  Kind of like the changes in Pay as you go, that people are still trying to figure out.

Just thought I would pass on our experience.  This is definitely, know your plans and how they work before you use them.  The detail is all in the text message, read it, and if you don't undertand, call in or chat and get clarification on the way to do the one time / not recurring - by sending the CANCEL after you are done.

Bruce

mahmahoda
I've Been Here Awhile

I am one of the stupid customers who didn't read their text properly and not knowingly subscribed to the recurring charge of $15 and $20. In May, I had to go over my 3GHZ limit by a lot so I had subscribed to first $15 and then another $20 topup. I had assumed like previously it was a one time top up. I don't check my electronic bill regularly and the payment is made to Rogers via a PAD ( I know I am not a savvy consumer!).  Unknowingly I have been paying for all these overages for the last 2 months. I suspected something was wrong with my billing but I hate calling Rogers. I'd rather get a root canal without anesthesia. I am a very calm and a diplomatic person but they bring out the worst in me. I always get very defensive because what I find egregious is not so on their end or its my fault it happened. I finally called them today on the top up issue. I got a schooling (rightly so, I guess?) on to read my texts properly. Well, Why did you change it and when? that was my defense. I've used top before but they were always one time. I found it to be very sneaky of Rogers. After about half hour of back and forth, the rep got the approval to stop the top up today rather than on Aug 31st. She insisted and insisted she can't reverse the charges. I asked to speak to someone else and she refused. I said to transfer me to retention as I've had enough. She said she has asked for approval and will get back to me later today with an answer. I'll keep you all posted. 

Topic Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 11 Likes
  • 14 in conversation